Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti Terrorism campaign

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The met police's anti terrorism campaign..

Part of it, is posters at bus stops, basically making sure that we are all aware that we could be living next door to a terrorist and to call the hotline if we are worried about a neighbour or so forth being a terrorist.

Now, at the top of the poster they have the top half of the face of an arabic or maybe asian man. Now, im aware that at the moment they are particuarly worried about terrorism coming from muslim groups.

Maybe the eyes could represent we should be aware and keep our eyes open.

I didnt see it that way, and if i dont so will many others.

I know that muslims can come from arabic and asian countries, however you also get black muslims (as well as white muslims) and i think with the anti muslim and anti iraqi etc feeling we already have in the country, these posters showing the eyes of an ethinc man can only lead to more prejudice.

Im not being too PC here, maybe i am reading too much into it.. what do you lot think about it all?

Comments

• Options
    Well you have to be very careful with such campaigns because there is already an awful lot of ignorance and bigotry amongst the general population. I listen to BCC London talk show in the mornings and every single day you get a wanker or two saying "we are at war against Muslims" and similar bullshit. No government campaign should add fuel to the fire of bigotry by singling out minorities.
  • Options
    The fact of the matter is we are more likely to come under terrorist attack by a "Muslim" (and I use that word in the loosest possible manner) organisation than we are from anyone else.

I'm sure everyone with a brain realises 99% (or more) of Muslims wouldn't even consider carrying out an atrocity. I think it's more important that we don't let boneheads twist the facts and use them to recruit blackshirts of the future.

A PC way of doing things would be a TV advert showing someone unidentified/hidden leaving an unattended bag and a muslim telling the police.

But in all honesty I don't care, as long as the campaign works.
  • Options
    Actually i take it back.. so far i had seen three of those posters all the same but today... i saw a fourth, with a white face on it.

Im more happy now!
  • Options
    I think people are already quite alert in general, but I think we still need encouragement to report suspicious packages.

The thing is many or most of us don't report them because 99.999% of them turn out to be just luggage. But one day one of them will be something else. I once starting asking loudly for the owner of a rucksack in the pub and all the punters gave me a funny look. Eventually it turned out to belong to some bloke having a pint at the other end of the pub. Since them I've been thinking hard before letting myself into another situation and I've ignored similar packages. But considering the events of the last few weeks, I think we should all be more pedantic about it and ask around even if it raises funny looks from others.

Tragically the Madrid commuters didn't see the bombers planting the bags on the trains and then leaving, the trains being rammed full. Or at least I really hope they didn't see them. Never mind the embarrassment or bother, you'd have to be pretty daft not to say anything if you see a bloke walking into a train carriage, leaving a bag and getting out again.
  • Options
    All this PC malarky has gotten way out of hand. Hear about those Muslims who didn't want that wild bore staue in Derby because some of them found it offensive.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    Source? Most of those stories you "hear" are untrue y'know.
  • Options
    Dunno where it is on the net.. Just heard it on Sky News yesterday.

There ain't much on it but you could try this.
  • Options
    A blank search result. Kind of proves my point I think.
  • Options
    A blank search result. Kind of proves my point I think.

Not really. It was on Sky News yesterday at 7pm when Little John was on. They had people emailing in about it. :rolleyes:

Here

Here
  • Options
    Richard Littlejohn, the Daily Mail and a local paper. Rightyho, I believe it then. :rolleyes:

Not saying its not true, but those sources are not exactly well known for their unbiased reporting on issues concerning Muslims are they? Most of these things are misreported in a way designed to stir up trouble. And people like you believe them every time.
  • Options
    Where did I say I believed it? I mearly gave an example of PC going wrong despite the fact it's wrong or right.
  • Options
    You very much imply that you believe it with the fact that you mention it in the first place, the whole tone of this post (and others) and your comment of "pathetic".
  • Options
    But if thats not how you meant it, I apologise.
  • Options
    that animal abu hamza and other "clerics" are responsible for stirring up more hatred than the mail or littlejohn ever could.
  • Options
    There are three of these posters, one with white eyes, one with black and one with asian. I know this for an absolute fact I got a whole load of them from Scotland yards publicity department myself for work.

Yeah, I'm sure Abu Hanza is stiring up a lot of trouble where he is at the moment. He is in jail if you didnt know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yeah, I'm sure Abu Hanza is stiring up a lot of trouble where he is at the moment. He is in jail if you didnt know.

What for? Weren't people saying that it was frustrating because everyone knows what he is doing but they had nothing on him so they could not prosecute him?
  • Options
    Its possible that the security services were loathe to see Abu Hamza et al in prison, as that would then create a power vacuum within extremist Islam and unknown quantities would then fill this vacuum. Keeping them there, at least you know who is doing what.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Can you confirm this with a link as I have tried to but from what I see he's still out there.
  • Options
    I will do when I have time, I'm at work at the moment, have a look on the BBC I'm sure there is a story there.
  • Options
    If I see a bag somewhere like a pub I don't bother. If i see one like a shopping centre of train station there's no chance i'll leave it there.
  • Options
    According to some sources 30 000 Iraqis were killed for ten years of American and British bombing. True or not but quite possible. Compare amount of victims of great civilised governments in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Somalia, Chechnya, Libya with victims of terrorists. Incomparable. Where real terrorists are sitting in?
    Osama and other Muslim fanatics? Free-lance amateurs. Stupid brats trying to show they are like Big Boys. And truth be told they are better than democratically elected terrorists. They at least take risk. They are aware about possible consequences. What about Bushes, Clinton, Blair, Putin? They retire with honour, glory and full pockets. Will bloody nightmares torment them? Maybe. So it is not surprising they are crying ‘Terrorists around!!’ so loudly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Well you have to be very careful with such campaigns because there is already an awful lot of ignorance and bigotry amongst the general population. I listen to BCC London talk show in the mornings and every single day you get a wanker or two saying "we are at war against Muslims" and similar bullshit. No government campaign should add fuel to the fire of bigotry by singling out minorities.

Although that IS complete bullshit, how do you expect the general public to react when we are show footage of muslim 'leaders' saying they are at war with the west, no, a HOLY war even. So this is the reverse crusades right?

Bigotry shouldnt be the tag for a general ignorance.

PLUS...have you seen football riots? thats just a game and people get killed! so our great nation of hooligans will, no doubt carry out 'revenge' attacks and hate crimes...whether or not the government fuels it or not.

Our government doesnt do much, but at least its attempting to look out for us during the first real time of uncertainty since WW2, or at the very least the IRA flare up in the 70's.