Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Prescriptions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im going to uni in september, and ive been trying to think of ways to save my money. ive heard in various places that you can pay a lump sum (its around £90 i think) at the start of the year, and then get all your prescriptions for free throughout that year. If this is true, it'd help me greatly, bcos i get about 5 things per month, and each thing is £6 summat...so id save bucket loads of cash!!!
has anybody heard of this?? if so, let me know what you know, and also where i could get more information on it
Thanx
p.s. hope this is in the right topic, i wasnt sure if it should go under 'Anything goes' or 'students'

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    there are things you can do like that - i'd talk to your local chemist about it, they'll probably know most. i've seen it advertised for people on ongoing treatment and things.

but if you are a full time student, you're usually exempt from paying for prescriptions anyway.
    one common mistake many students make is to assume they are automatically exempt from paying for healthcare. This isn't the case; you need to apply for exemption with a HC1 form. Once you have started studying, you can collect a HC1 form from your dentists, doctors, local post office or the Student Support Office. You usually receive a response within 6 weeks. The exemption certificate you receive will then need to be presented to your dentist and optician with each visit and to the pharmacist when you collect prescriptions. Without the certificate, you will be expected to pay.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    but if you are a full time student, you're usually exempt from paying for prescriptions anyway.

Only if you're 19 or under, it doesn't count otherwise as the lady in Boots repeatedly told us when we tried to blag free prescriptions :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Faith
    Only if you're 19 or under, it doesn't count otherwise as the lady in Boots repeatedly told us when we tried to blag free prescriptions :rolleyes:

the lady in boots is an idiot.

if you earn under £8000 a year, you can get free/discounted prescriptions whatever your age.

up to 19 you get it automatically, 19 and over you need to send off the HC1 form.
    19 and over you need to send off the HC1 form.

That'll be why we never got them then
    the lady in boots is an idiot.

if you earn under £8000 a year, you can get free/discounted prescriptions whatever your age.

up to 19 you get it automatically, 19 and over you need to send off the HC1 form.
    i earn zilch in a year and sent off a HC1 form. they're making me pay for everything!!
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i earn zilch in a year and sent off a HC1 form. they're making me pay for everything!!

i didn't get any help, cause my parents help pay for my prescriptions, but all my ex-housemates, who didn't get any help from their parents got money towards prescriptions.

they do take into account all money you get, and not just money you earn. student loans, bank loans, overdrafts and hardship funds are also taken into consideration.

but even if you don't get any help, it's worth a try.
    19 and over you need to send off the HC1 form.

They keep that fucking quiet.
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Here's info about how to get an HC1 form.

I've had one the whole time I've been a student and it's helped me save loads on prescriptions, glasses, contact lenses and dental treatment.

It might seem tedious to fill in but since it costs nothing and you're at uni I think it's well worth it.

(Good news if you live in Wales: they're hoping to introduce free prescriptions for everyone by 2007)
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They keep that fucking quiet.

:yes:

Anyway it'll be like everything else, it's always the same people who get everything paid for. If your parents earn a decent wage you'll get nothing...even though your parents shouldn't have to pay for your prescriptions :rolleyes:
    I applied for the HC1 thingy but got absolutely bugger all help! So, I've ended up buying the pre-payment scheme thing, because I have arthritis so would end up paying way more than £90 a year anyway. I think we got the pre-payment leaflet from somewhere like Boots, I think if you ask there they tell you how to apply. I think it was quite simple, you just phone a number, and they give you an immediate code to use so that you're covered straight away for 'free' prescriptions, and then a few weeks later you get a card, which you just show every time you get a prescription. Very simple, and works out cost effective for me!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    im really surprised at that. our health centre has loads of posters advertising HC1 forms, a big pile of them in the pharmacy and my doctor always asks if i have filled one in. i earn no money per year as i am a student so i get my prescriptions for free. they also pay for my dental treatment, opticians (eye test and voucher towards glasses) and wigs if for some reason i need one. however, just because you are a student doesnt automatically mean you are exempt. it depends not only on income but on savings and any investments (eg land/property).
    have you checked that you are exempt from paying for whatever medical condition you have that requires you to have prescriptions every month? i get free prescriptions because of my diabetes. so glad of that, if i had to pay for my needles, and insulin and blood strips and lancets etc etc over the past 16 years and for the rest of my life ide be paying out shit loads. check it out if you havent already :)
    I filled in an HC1 when I first read this thread and today I got a response.

I am a student earning fuck-all and I get the maximum London loan of £4975 a year.

Basically they will pay for a whole host of random things that I don't need like NHS wigs and Fabric Supports but not for my prescriptions dammit. It's called geeting "partial" support from them but conveniently it just applies to things that few people actually use.

I might get one of those pre-payment things... they apparently work out cheaper if you get at least 14 prescriptions in a year. But it's rather depressing to predict needing that many prescriptions in advanced isn' it?

Lots of us knock the NHS and think that £6.40 is a lot to pay but we are actually really lucky when you look at how much Americans have to folk out for their medications.