Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Smoking ban in Ireland. Are we next?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heh, well property owners should IDEALLY determine this!!

If a landlord wants smoking in his pub then so be it. The smokers can go there!! But if another landlord bans smoking, then smokers shouldn't go there!

To have a blanket ban is prepostrous!!
    For once, I agree with you.
    Originally posted by the sole liber

If a landlord wants smoking in his pub then so be it. The smokers can go there!! But if another landlord bans smoking, then smokers shouldn't go there!

He talks sense! :eek2:
    I think it should be banned on the streets. I'm not so sure about in private places 'tho - including privatly owned places like pubs. I think the best move would not be to force pubs etc. to ban smoking completly, but to insist it's done in an isolated room - ie there is a compulsary non smoking area, and if the pub wants to provide a smoking area it's their decision, but it must be the same size or smaller than the non smoking area. Same would apply to other private businesses.
    Alternativly, offer tax breaks to encourage pubs/businesses to provide non-smoking areas. That would give them the choice of a lower tax rate, but possibly lower revenue, and allow the companies and the market to decide.
    Originally posted by godscop
    Whenever I hear someone talking about this I always mention the point about cars, they reply with blank faces.
    Good point. Ideally, I'd ban cars completly, unless they met very stringent economy regulations. Although, to be fair, you don't regularly have to step out behind a lorry pumping out plumes of smoke from their exhaust, whilst having to step out in front of someone pumping out plumes of smoke from their mouth is quite a regular occurance
    Originally posted by Me_and
    Ideally, I'd ban cars completly, unless they met very stringent economy regulations.

Yay! Let's all travel by horse and live like how it was in the good ol' days!

:rolleyes:
    Did they say that?
    I think it should be banned on the streets.
    Now why would you say that? Isn't this just unfounded nonsense?

I dare anyone to find me the most sensitive allergic person to cigarette smoke in the whole world, and then hear that person claim that they are affected by the smoke of a cigarette while on the street. We're not talking about a Battersea Power Station chimney puffing out smoke in the 70s. We're talking about a cigarette. In open air.

I might just about believe that someone sitting in, say, a bus stop, might occasionally get a small whiff of smoke if the person sitting next to them is smoking and the wind blows the wrong way. But anywhere else? In open air? Affecting others? Please!

The day someone declares that people cannot smoke on the street is the day I take up smoking out of fucking principle.
    Although, to be fair, you don't regularly have to step out behind a lorry pumping out plumes of smoke from their exhaust,
    although to be fair ...you don't have to be anywhere near an exhaust to be breathing the stuff in. there are a bazillion exhaut pipes a day belching out clouds of toxins, to the extent that is is everywhere ...in the fields ...in the playgrounds ...

If a landlord allows people to amoke in his/her pub in Ireland he gets fined 1000euro!
    The smoking ban is a banm in smoking n the work place, (bars and pubs just are the ones most effected so most highlighted),
    Exceptions with prisons and that.
    Also bans it in taxis etc:

ONce Im not eating or its not in my face I dont mind it,
    But think its a good idea overall.
    happened in New York already, you can get a different license there for it in a room for smokers.
    A lot fo places have beer gardens and canopies for smokers-
    But it will be a problem for security in nightclubs and that
    It will cut smoking down as a lot of people only smke when they go to the pub-
    pro outway the cons overall
    In NY bar owners were screwed twice over though. They were led to believe that they would be allowed to have smoker rooms if they were properly prepared. This involved double doors and sophisticated air extraction systems that cost them tens of thousands. Then the ban came into place and the State government told them smokers rooms would not be allowed after all.

And as for outside, incredibly the authorities still demanded that only 25% of the tables be allowed to be smoking. A tad too restrictive if you ask me- and again, utterly pointless since those tables are in open air.
    Whenever I hear someone talking about this I always mention the point about cars, they reply with blank faces.

Hopefully it won't matter to me anyway, I've quit this morning.

You quit cars. So? What has that got to do with this thread?
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    You quit cars. So? What has that got to do with this thread?

Its an equally expensive habit buying 20 cars every morning.

I suppose your one of them weirdos who smoke tobacco?
    Its an equally expensive habit buying 20 cars every morning.

I suppose your one of them weirdos who smoke tobacco?

:D I has my first cigarette last summer on stage because I was the part required it... It was awful. I've had about three or four...
    I'm from Ireland and a smoker but i live up North and haven't been down to the South yet since the ban came into force but i think it has gone far enough, like people who want to smoke should be allowed to do it regardless of where they are, be it at home or down the street or especially in the pub, i don't know what it's going to be like sitting in a pub down south and then wanting a smoke and having to possibly go into another room for it then come back in.

It could have an effect on the economy too, alot of people you see in a pub in Ireland are usually smoking a cigarette, this ban could and probably will act as a deterent and people will stay away from the pub if they can't smoke or they might just head up North.

guess what sole ...i agree with you 100% on this one ...hows your little brother?
    Originally posted by crescendo
    No its not 'impossible' to enforce. Think before you speak (or type).

Its very possible to enforce. Just like at the moment how you can't smoke in hospitals, buses, schools, shopping centres...... or anywhere else with a 'No Smoking' sign.
    There haven't been any major problems with the above examples.

Its quite simple... you don't smoke in public places!
    If a smoker can't get that through his thick skull then the next time he checks his bank balance he'll wonder where 3000 Euros have gone..........

Do you not realise how much time is being wasted here?! As if the police don't have enough on their plates what with terrorism, class A drugs etc without being called to a pub full of rebellious smokers just to slap them on the wrists! It'll be like school, what with the smoking behind the bins and having someone keep watch, and hastily putting fags out.

Buses, 1 in 2 buses i get on someone smokes at some point in the journey. Its not worth the hassle to the driver, and practically every bus i get on has fag ends on the floor. Schools, a group of around 20/30 kids smokes in my school every day, and shopping centers - the shopping center in the town near me has forever got "please don't smoke" messages on, but most people do anyway. The only people on duty are a couple of security guards and some cleaners, who may ask people to go outside with their cigarettes. So no, bad examples of places where smoking has been banned successfully.

Oh, and the little "thick heads" dig, i've had more mature comments from primary school children. Grow up, and stop wanting to waste other people's time to increase your own enjoyment.

Secondly, it is a huge problem in clubs, due to not being able to leave a club without paying to get back in - lets reduce smoker's enjoyment dramatically to increase your own a little!

I think people need to think about the negative aspects and realise that smokers are people too.
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Buses, 1 in 2 buses i get on someone smokes at some point in the journey. Its not worth the hassle to the driver, and practically every bus i get on has fag ends on the floor. Schools, a group of around 20/30 kids smokes in my school every day, and shopping centers - the shopping center in the town near me has forever got "please don't smoke" messages on, but most people do anyway. The only people on duty are a couple of security guards and some cleaners, who may ask people to go outside with their cigarettes. So no, bad examples of places where smoking has been banned successfully.
    I don't believe any of that. I think you exaggerated WAAAYYY to much.

1 in 2 buses you get on someone smokes? Gimme a break. I travel on buses ALL the time. 4 times a day when I go to college/uni for the past 4 years, and I can only remember several people smoking in all that time. Talk about exaggeration!

20/30 people smoke in your school every day? Yeh that used to happen in my school too, usually at breaktime behind the bikeshed of off the school premises. NO ONE smoked indoors.

And I've never come across anyone smoking in a shopping centre unless its in the smoking section of the food courts.

And anyway I think your dealing with spoilt teenagers. A pub usually consists of adults who do as they are told (or should do anyway).
    Try getting on a bus in Birmingham. There is almost always someone smoking a spliff.
    i think they should be predominantly no smoking in workplaces, although smokers areas should be provided. I work in a bingo hall :o and its a real health hazard, the air is so thick with smoke its hard to breathe. theres only a small portion of the hall thats non smoking but we have to work in all sections, standing in amongst the smoke, it makes my eyes water, and my throat hurt. Even the people who smoke say its too smoky in there. Yes profits would probably go down if they banned smoking, but I think the gambling addicts would be back. The social aspect of smoking would be removed if this happened which is one of the reasons people smoke anyway I think.
    Might encourage a lot of people to give up or cut down a lot. A lot of people want to stop but have no incentive, this might be what they need.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    guess what sole ...i agree with you 100% on this one ...hows your little brother?

I ain't got one!:lol: