Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Smoking ban in Ireland. Are we next?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3577001.stm

So? A sensible move? Inevitable? Will most of the Western world have adopted such bans within a decade?

As a non-smoker I still think this is going too far. Ensure the places are well ventilated, that a decent non-smoking area is provided and that no-one smokes near the bar area. But banning smoking altogether... where will it all end?

You now have ridiculous situations such as in Amsterdam where you cannot smoke weed in coffee shops (the only place where you legally could) because smoke might get to employees. :rolleyes:

And no doubt many of those who want to ban smoking everywhere are happy to drive their stinking polluting cars to the city every day.

So long as conditions are reasonable, live and let live methinks!

Opinions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally i do not have anything against the ban of smoking in public places. However i do see the argument of having non smoking and smoking parts to a pub as viable. Though i really would like to see the right to smoke in public disappear.
    Whenever I hear someone talking about this I always mention the point about cars, they reply with blank faces.

Hopefully it won't matter to me anyway, I've quit this morning.
    Congratulations. If nothing else you might find the extra £135 a month in your pocket refreshing!
    How many more pints is that? :D

I've stopped for health reasons, don't want to end up on a slab prematurely.
    more fucking rules. you can't do this you can't do that. i'll have to get permission to leave the house before long!
    yes it seems inevitable that this will now spread.
    mass smoke in needed outside number ten i think.
    how they going to policethis thing?
    whowhere probably has enough on his plate already without having to harrass people who persistently light up.
    won't be allowed to wear leather shoes or jackets ...won't be allowed to shave your head ...won't be allowed to tell certain jokes but yes ...carry on polluting the air with trucks and cars ...carry on polluting rivers and beaches if your big business.
    stupid fucking people.
    Originally posted by godscop
    Whenever I hear someone talking about this I always mention the point about cars, they reply with blank faces.

Hopefully it won't matter to me anyway, I've quit this morning.

Yes but......two wrongs don't make a right and you can't justify one bad thing with another bad thing can you?

As an Ex-smoker I think it's a great idea to ban smoking in pubs.
    Originally posted by godscop
    I've stopped for health reasons, don't want to end up on a slab prematurely.

No such thing as premature death. When it's your turn, it's your turn :p

As for the law, I have my fingers crossed hoping that it fails. Last thing we need is it being introduced over here. It's a kneejerk, over the tope response rather than being based on fact. Car fumes cause more lung problems that smoking does.
    im an ex-smoker.

I work in a bar and i dont know about the implications for personal freedom but i do know one thing.

I would like to work in an environment in which i am not in danger from passive smoking.

Smoking at the bar is already banned (YES this IS law, but in alot of places it isnt enforced).

Smokers should be provided with a place that they can go for a cigarette/cigar but preferably somewhere wher others aren't FORCED to breathe their smoke (especially those who have no choice such as me.

I also think ALL restauraunts should be non smoking or al least BAN cigars. One big stogie blazin in a resi will put non smokers right off their food, the aroma is just too strong and the smoke too thick.

Surely we can work something out, but i do get annoyed when some smokers bleat on about their civil rights, its my right to protect my health. Luckily most smokers are considerate enough to move when i ask them.:D
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    Smoking at the bar is already banned (YES this IS law, but in alot of places it isnt enforced).

You work behind the bar, it is your job to enforce the rules. Anyone working in licensed premises have the right of ejection if people misbehave.

i do get annoyed when some smokers bleat on about their civil rights, its my right to protect my health.

I have heard it mentioned before that one is statistically more likely to get lung cancer from a pet budgie than from "passive smoking". I still remain skeptical about passive smoking, because of concentrations of air.

I';ve said this before so many times- there wouldn't be this problem if pubs reverted back to the two-room, layout, rather than this open-plan bollocks. Have a smokers' bar in the tap room and a comfy lounge where smoking is prohibited- problem solved. If the staff don't want to work in the smokers' bar, make the smokers come round to the other room to get drinks.

Banning smoking outright is ludicruous and yet another nanny state law. I happen to agree with Allen Carr, someone who is very successful at making people stop, when he says that this law will be counter-productive because smokers will continue out of pure stubbornness.

yet again, all this is our smug arrogant friends the doctors trying to tell everybody how to live their lives. Banning doctors taking methadone might be more productive than stopping smoking- but the BMA would never seriously consider doing that.
    i remember in california last year i think ...someone sued his next door nieghbour for smoking in his own garden! on the grounds he had to keep his windows shut to keep the smoke out ...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i remember in california last year i think ...someone sued his next door nieghbour for smoking in his own garden! on the grounds he had to keep his windows shut to keep the smoke out ...

ok so thats taking it too far!
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    ok so thats taking it too far!

Sueing is the American national pastime though:p
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I';ve said this before so many times- there wouldn't be this problem if pubs reverted back to the two-room, layout, rather than this open-plan bollocks.
    But there is a two-room layout................. the other room is OUTSIDE!!! :p
    I was in NY a few days after the smoking ban was first introduced. A lot of people were VERY unhappy. Not only the smokers themselves but bars and restaurant owners and employees, who'd seen their tips shrink as fewer punters made it to their premises.

We ended up having to go to a cigar club for a smoke. Such clubs are private and escape legislation. Predictably the place was rammed full with cigar and cigarette smokers and you almost needed fog lights to see anything.

Still, it's the sign of things to come I guess...
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Still, it's the sign of things to come I guess...
    soon i won't be allowed to smoke in public but i'll be able to shag my father ...he's been dead a few years but if it's harming no one ...in the interests of freedom and all that ...
    Originally posted by crescendo
    But there is a two-room layout................. the other room is OUTSIDE!!! :p

So stay outside in the "Fresh" air and don't moan about the smoke inside :p
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Personally i do not have anything against the ban of smoking in public places. However i do see the argument of having non smoking and smoking parts to a pub as viable. Though i really would like to see the right to smoke in public disappear.

i personally don't smoke but I wonder if people will go to pubs less if a smoking ban is implemented - rightly or wrongly drinking and smoking go together for the most part.
    Originally Posted by Kermit
    You work behind the bar, it is your job to enforce the rules. Anyone working in licensed premises have the right of ejection if people misbehave.

i know...and i said i ask people not to smoke at the Bar (also that most people are nice about it. So why quote this, what do u mean:confused:
    I would advise everyone not to start in the first place. I've got a headache, feel like shit, bad mood. Need a smoke:mad:
    Originally posted by leese
    i personally don't smoke but I wonder if people will go to pubs less if a smoking ban is implemented - rightly or wrongly drinking and smoking go together for the most part.

That doesn't account for all the non-smokers who do go to the pub and do have a good time. It is possible to go to the pub and not smoke and enjoy yourself!

Anyway - if you are that worried you can go outside like the hounds you are :lol:
    Originally posted by byny
    That doesn't account for all the non-smokers who do go to the pub and do have a good time. It is possible to go to the pub and not smoke and enjoy yourself!

Anyway - if you are that worried you can go outside like the hounds you are :lol:

most of my mates smoke, i don't think they could cope goin to the pub without smoking, they would disappear off outside every five minutes
    How many more pints is that?
    So you've quit one possible way of killing yourself, only to increase the other? :confused:
    I think having smoking and non-smoking rooms in pubs is the best solution, but if not that, then a complete ban is a good idea; it might provide an incentive for more people to stop smoking. Trade in restaurants and pubs will probably remain the same because for every smoker you might lose, you'll gain a person who currently stays at home as they don't want a stale smoke smell on their clothes. Employees of restaurants and pubs should have the right to work without being forced to passively breathe in smoke.
    Originally posted by Luce
    So you've quit one possible way of killing yourself, only to increase the other? :confused:

It was a joke. The link between alcohol and smoking will have to be cut for if I am to succeed.
    I think its a stupid idea. Impossible to enforce anyway, I'd like to see them try it in my local!
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think its a stupid idea. Impossible to enforce anyway, I'd like to see them try it in my local!
    No its not 'impossible' to enforce. Think before you speak (or type).

Its very possible to enforce. Just like at the moment how you can't smoke in hospitals, buses, schools, shopping centres...... or anywhere else with a 'No Smoking' sign.
    There haven't been any major problems with the above examples.

Its quite simple... you don't smoke in public places!
    If a smoker can't get that through his thick skull then the next time he checks his bank balance he'll wonder where 3000 Euros have gone..........
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I have heard it mentioned before that one is statistically more likely to get lung cancer from a pet budgie than from "passive smoking". I still remain skeptical about passive smoking, because of concentrations of air.

Yes, let's wait and find out!

I have no opinion on this new law. It affects me in no way whatsoever. I don't hang out with smokers, I don't go to bars, I don't even walk on the same side of the non-pretrol-filled street as them!

Though it is one further step to preventing people from smoking. People will eventually tire of having to leave the pub everyone other second to get their nicotine fix and hopefully some will give up. Which is a good thing, right?
    Originally posted by crescendo
    No its not 'impossible' to enforce. Think before you speak (or type).

No, you think. Come to my local and try and enforce it. And see what sort of reaction you get...
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    No, you think. Come to my local and try and enforce it. And see what sort of reaction you get...

Assault?
    One of my locals is not the sort of place where the clientele give much of a fuck about the law. Dunno about assault, but most people ignore the ban on smoking weed in there, so why would they obey the one outlawing tobacco?