Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Would You Do?

The BBC is showing a fascinating drama at the minute called Passer By, it's very thought provoking.

Consider this. Two leery yobs are giving a young woman hassle on the last train of the evening; they aren't being violent, but they are being aggressive. When you mildly try to butt in they insult you, so you try and pretend that they're not there. When it's your station, the girl is pleading for help without saying anything; you just get off, after pointing out the emergency cord.

What would you have done in this situation?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would get off the train and immediately get help, via station personell or if i couldnt find them then id call 999.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    I would get off the train and immediately get help, via station personell or if i couldnt find them then id call 999.

Even though they hadn't actually done anything, they'd just been leery?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure what "leery" means, but if they were just looking at her, the only problem would be the potential of them turning to action later.
    If that's not the correct meaning of the word, well, sorry.
  • Options
    that's the thing, the police probably wouldn't do anything unless he was threating her - it is wrong
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Even though they hadn't actually done anything, they'd just been leery?

Most deffinately, if a girl was on her own, even a bloke come to think about it and I felt they didnt like the situation id get help. (Probably wouldnt intervene myself because im only licke :p )

I once was in the car with hubby and we were driving home. There was a woman in a car who seemed pretty distressed, she was crying and had children in the car (without seatbelts) and I just knew something was up, so we called the police and told them what we'd seen. They sent a patrol car and as I was on the phone to them I seen the police car approaching so told the operator which car they needed and saw them pull the car over.
    Anyways they police called me back and thanked me for calling and said although they couldn't tell me the problem told me that this woman was very distressed and id done the right thing by calling.
    So its slighlty different to the case you posted about, but if I seen anyone who could need assistance id get it.
  • Options
    One of my friends was in a situation like this, where a man was hassling a young girl on the train. Her solution was to go up to the girl, pretending that she knew her, saying things like "Hello! How are you? I haven't seen you in a while!" etc. The girl played along with it, and eventually the man left her alone.

Katie x :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by x katie x
    One of my friends was in a situation like this, where a man was hassling a young girl on the train. Her solution was to go up to the girl, pretending that she knew her, saying things like "Hello! How are you? I haven't seen you in a while!" etc. The girl played along with it, and eventually the man left her alone.

two people did that for me once, and i was SO grateful. like really, really could have kissed them grateful.

i was on my own on the last train, and this awful drunk guy came up to me and started shouting at me and talking filth and stuff, and i was crapping my pants. then some girl came over and was like 'OMG sarah! (or some random name) i haven't seen you for ages! me and dave are just sat over there, come over and sit with us' and gave me a 'we'll save you' look.

so i went over and they chatted to me the whole journey, and eventually the scary guy got off, and i got where i was going in one piece.

so like, if that was your friend, tell her i love her.
  • Options
    It was in between Greenhithe and Chatham, so judging by your location I doubt it... It would be a very small world if it was. You never know though... :)

Katie x :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by x katie x
    It was in between Greenhithe and Chatham, so judging by your location I doubt it... It would be a very small world if it was. You never know though... :)

nahh, this was on the train between birmingham and coventry.

but nonetheless, tell her she is a nice human being and i hope good things happen to her.
  • Options
    I've been in a similar situation. I got a kicking, but I think I saved someone from worse. I'd do it again.
  • Options
    I'm a gal, so I couldn't get physical.

I'd probably talk to the woman, just start a conversation and if the lads got gobby I'd tell them assertively to shut the fuck up. I'd think of something to ask the lady though, a general question. Or ask one of the lads for the time. Then I'd have his face clocked.

I'd report them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I've been in a similar situation. I got a kicking, but I think I saved someone from worse. I'd do it again.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    I'd help!!

I'd persuade her to get off with me and we could contact the police.
  • Options
    i remember doing something on this in pyschology, about why people don't usually answer a cry for help.

People don't do it intentionally, but subconciously people are relucatant to answer a call for help, thinking that someone closer will help.
  • Options
    I am staying on that train until she gets off or until I know she's safe. I've been in this situation before on the New York subway and I was crapping it, it was only one guy hassling a woman but I was thinking about the worse case scenario and that maybe he was armed.

At the end of the day I thought about the female members of my family and what I would want someone else to do, if they were in that situation. As it was I freaked him out by acting in a certain way and he left her alone, so we were both lucky.
  • Options
    I'm ashamed to say but I would probably shit myself :o and wouldn't know what to do. I'm not the brave kinda person.
  • Options
    When you mildly try to butt in they insult you,

If they insulted me I would of gave them one more polite warning. If the problem was still there then I would get physical with them no matter if they are bigger, smaller, younger or older than me. If it was just them insulting me and they were not harrasing anyone then I may of ingored it depending on what they were doing.
  • Options
    Um, sorry, so what does "leery" mean? I thought it meant "stare at someone", but people replied about others insulting them and harassing them, so I might have been wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Um, sorry, so what does "leery" mean? I thought it meant "stare at someone", but people replied about others insulting them and harassing them, so I might have been wrong.

Leer is when you look at someone offensively, like giving them a patronising look etc.

Leery is kinda noisy and causing a nusiance, even a violent nusiance.

I have to say I probably wouldn't have done anything as I'm not the fighting type but if it got any worse that in the programme I would hav called the police or something.

I never get the train anyway :p
  • Options
    Ideally I'd try to just calm whoever it was down. Even if it didn't calm them down, it would deflect attention from them to me. Dunno what I'd do in real life though. I'd like to think that, but I dunno if I'd just cr*p myself and run off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day

please tell me you're taking the piss? why would anyone do that. if you were so concerned about the woman you would help her immediately, not wait and jump to the closest telephone and say "hey, two guys are leering at a woman, help her please", sorry for being aggressive but thats what i feel.
  • Options
    Going back to what WhoWhere said - although most people say that they'd help out a lot of times people don't when they're actually put into the situation and it's called the bystander effect. There was a classic example of this where a woman was murdered in New York back in the 60s sometime. If I remember correctly the attack took place in a street where about 40 people watched from their apartment windows and yet no one called the police during the attack (which lasted about 30 minutes) and only one person called after it was over. The attacker actually even left a couple of times and came back and stabbed the victim repeatedly. Had someone called the police immediately the woman probably wouldn't have been killed.

I think it would especially be true in a situation like the one described here (although I haven't seen the show) where there is a lot of ambiguity about the situation. It would be easy to convince yourself that it isn't a real emergency. Although I think you would be willing to help out more if you were the only other person present so that you felt that you were personally responsible for dealing with the situation.

I don't know what I'd do myself. I'd like to say that I would step up and help the girl out, but I don't know what I would. I think a lot of times I just freeze in emergency-like situations like that and it's not until it's all over that I can think clearly about what I should have done.
  • Options
    I'd try and get the woman to come with me to try and find the ticket collector, although at night they'd probably wouldn't be one. If not I'd take her to the driver and explain the situation and then maybe s/he would let her sit with him/her.

If the woman didn't come with me, and there was no ticket collector, I'd try and persuade her to get off with me and get a taxi home, and lend her some money if needs be.

That's what I think I would do anyway. I think pretending to know the person is also a very good idea, you've just got to hope they get what you're doing and play along.
  • Options
    Originally posted by carolina_girl
    Going back to what WhoWhere said - although most people say that they'd help out a lot of times people don't when they're actually put into the situation and it's called the bystander effect. There was a classic example of this where a woman was murdered in New York back in the 60s sometime. If I remember correctly the attack took place in a street where about 40 people watched from their apartment windows and yet no one called the police during the attack (which lasted about 30 minutes) and only one person called after it was over. The attacker actually even left a couple of times and came back and stabbed the victim repeatedly. Had someone called the police immediately the woman probably wouldn't have been killed.

Yeah I've heard of this effect too. I can't understand why the people didn't call the police though, especially if they were not really close by (and therefore more likely to be attacked for calling the police). The only thing I can think of is that they all thought someone else would have called, but surely after 30 minutes you would ring just in case.
  • Options
    I'd like to think I would have called if I had seen something like that. It's really easy to put blame on the people that watched - to say that it was something about them personally (those stereotypically cold New Yorkers!) that prevented them from making the call. But, at the same time this has been documented in so many situations that it has to be something in the nature of most people and not particular to the ones involved. I guess the whole idea behind it is that you think someone else will get involved and that you don't need to... there's a diffusion of responsibility that increases as the group size increases making you less likely to act.
    I still like to think that I'd call though if it was me...
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    please tell me you're taking the piss? why would anyone do that. if you were so concerned about the woman you would help her immediately, not wait and jump to the closest telephone and say "hey, two guys are leering at a woman, help her please", sorry for being aggressive but thats what i feel.

No im not taking the piss, and im no fucking hero ok!!!!!!
    I am not prepared to get stabbed, shot or whatever as I have a Daughter at home. The sensible thing to do in this day and age is get of the train at my stop and then get help to her and if the only way i could do that was to phone 999 then id do it.

Anyone here wants to be a hero then fine, but if you lose your life through it what about your family ? what about your Hubby/Wife and Daughter at home.........ah fuck them eh ??????

also if you wanna pick me up on something then have the decency to post Kermits first post here, but to save you time I will do it for you. Please take a look at the last couple of sentences..............the girl is pleading for help, so thats why I dial 999 !!!!!!!!!!
    Two leery yobs are giving a young woman hassle on the last train of the evening; they aren't being violent, but they are being aggressive. When you mildly try to butt in they insult you, so you try and pretend that they're not there. When it's your station, the girl is pleading for help without saying anything; you just get off, after pointing out the emergency cord.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Nun on the run :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Welcome back, Nun on the run :p

thank you.......i'm still hot headed as ever :lol:
  • Options
    In the programme two men were hassling a young woman; they were being leery and abusive (they called her a slut at one point) but they weren't actually doing any real harm. It was the man's station, so he told her to pull the emergency cord if she was in trouble, and he got off. On the station he pushed the "information" button on a handphone, and talked to the controller- but the controller was snooty, so the man bottled it. The girl was subsequently raped.

I would like to say that I would have done things differently, but I don't think I would have done. I don't think many people would have done.

It's interestiong to note that screaming "rape" if someone is attacking you is counter-productive- people are scared, and would avoid a girl screaming this, or about any other sort of attack. Screaming "fire" would attract people, as it doesn't involve confronting anotehr person. Bear that in mind- if people attack me, I always know to scream "fire" as it calls people towards me, not away from me.
  • Options
    I just remembered something awful that I could have done something about...
    A few years ago, I was at a party, and we were at the balcony. There was a man walking at the street, at night, with no one else around.
    Suddenly another man walked up to him, grabbed him by the neck, started punching his face, then pushed him so he fell on the road. The attacker then picked him up and walked him away. I never knew what happened after that, but I remember that none of us even suggested to call the police... but I don't understand why.
    It's too late now, but there's one more of the things I regtetted...