Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

BBC Best British Sitcom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Only Fools and Horses?! But Blackadder........ *sulk*

Can't believe the Vicar of Dibley did so well after being kicked out 5th or sth.

Can't believe I care... Anyone else got any views.

Incidentally, I had forgotten the classic sketch that is "don't mention the war" from Fawlty Towers... oooh and I hadn't watched Yes, Minister since I was too young to understand it, but it's actually v. good!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fawlty Towers deserved a lot better than 5th in my opinion. And Vicar of Dibley got most of the female votes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I probably enjoyed The Royle Family more than any other sitcom I've seen *shrugs*

Although it's all opinions really. "Most Popular British Sitcom" would be a better title surely?
    sitcom outcome is ****

right, was it 63 year old grannies who only voted in that bloody show? Fair play to only fools and horses, and blackadder, but look at the stuff in that list. surely, okits my opinion, but in terms of more recent things, father ted, spaced, black books or something like the league of gentleman is a much better bet than.....yes minister.......christ. x
    bottom.
    It was never going to fair as the beeb don't have the rights to Channel 4 shows. I only say Channel Four because i can't think of a single ITV or five sitcom, and not enough people own digital.

Fair play to Blackadder and Fawlty Towers though. Only Fools and Horses is sometimes quite good, I have to admit.
    Blackadder SO should have won. Only Fools And Horses is good for a while, but then it just gets boring. The repeats are just boring now. Whereas Blackadder, you can laugh at time and time again :D

Franki
    x

P.S. Random - there's a supply teacher at our school that looks and sound JUST like Baldrick, we made him say 'I have a cunning plan' and it was like HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    i voted for blackadder

don't know why 'open all hours' was in the top ten, unless it was the top ten most overly repeated shows!
    Originally posted by leese
    don't know why 'open all hours' was in the top ten, unless it was the top ten most overly repeated shows!
    I'd never even heard of it! But as for the Good Life... oh puh-lease! Even the clips on the final last night didn't make me laugh, and they were the best bits!
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I'd never even heard of it! But as for the Good Life... oh puh-lease! Even the clips on the final last night didn't make me laugh, and they were the best bits!

once again another show repeated to **** - its just one of those that is always on so its always in the public's mind - what else shall i vote for, um, what's always on..................
    Yes Minister should have won - but it's too high-brow and too little known for it to have recieved enough votes. Failing that, Blackadder. It's actually funny, as opposed to embarrasing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/top11to100.shtml

11 to 100 in the sitcom poll
    It's voted for by the 'general' public, so it was naturally a one horse race for OFAH.

To see One Foot come in tenth was an honest shock, as it was kind of a more casual Blackadder, in that you never knew what was going to happen next. True, it was basically all set-pieces, but still hilarious in it's own way.

Vicar of Dibley? The only saving grace for that show is Mr. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no....yes! He roXorz me Soxorz :)

It was an absolute travesty that Spaced and I'm Alan Partridge didn't make the top ten.

Oh, and Jack Dee and Iannucci both rule.

"How thick is my arm?" - :D

Mrs Feminism (Vorderman) - How dull. How very bloody droll.

Still, it's a general poll, so there's bound to be uproar.
    Originally posted by Me_and
    Yes Minister should have won - but it's too high-brow and too little known for it to have recieved enough votes. Failing that, Blackadder. It's actually funny, as opposed to embarrasing.
    Well I prefer Blackadder to Yes Minister but you're right, people dismiss YM as outdated or too political when in reality it's funny even if you're not into politics!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/winner.shtml

All the top 10 were all BBC Programmes as wel.

I do agree with ONly Fools and Horses being my favorite, I used to love the Christmas Specials .. espacially the one in Miami
    It was always going to be Only Fools although I'm glad Blackadder was so high up there. IMHO Father Ted should've substituted Vicar of Dibley.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    All the top 10 were all BBC Programmes as wel.
    Of course. Most non-BBC comedy programmes are American imports. And the few that aren't, they couldn't obtain licences to show clips for.
    I don't know if it counts as a sitcom but The Office is miles better than most of those. Only fools and Faulty Towers and should have been number 1 & 2. None of the others are up to much.
    Yes Minister should have won, it is the funniest, the cleverest and the best writen of all of them.

Its just the public are stupid plebs and they dont understand it.

I was distraught to see Vicar of Dibley up there, its run of the mill tripe, not massively unfunny, but then not funny either, its a nothing.

Only Fools and Horses has gone on FAR too long, all those shite christmas specials they bring out, rubbish!
    I missed the final as i was having a party. I would have much rather have seen Black Adder at the top to be honest. I think my top 3 would have been

1. Black Adder
    2. Faulty Towers
    3. Yes, Minister

Vicer of Dibley being so high is silly, Father Ted so should have been there. I am guessing it was bumped down to 11 because it is not a BBC Program.

I cannot complain though i guess, i never got round to voting :(
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I missed the final as i was having a party. I would have much rather have seen Black Adder at the top to be honest. I think my top 3 would have been

1. Black Adder
    2. Faulty Towers
    3. Yes, Minister

Vicer of Dibley being so high is silly, Father Ted so should have been there.
    :yes: As usual, you're exactly right. Totally agree! :) Fools and Horses just doesn't make me laugh as much as the others, although the scene where Del Boy falls over trying to lean on the bar does make me pmsl...
    Originally posted by RNT
    red dwarf
    Oh yeah, where did Red Dwarf come? That's a classsic, too! And the adaptation of the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy was ignored but maybe that doesn't count. No sé.
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Oh yeah, where did Red Dwarf come? That's a classsic, too! And the adaptation of the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy was ignored but maybe that doesn't count. No sé.

Red Dwarf came 18th i beleive. I guess it is a sci fi so that would probably put many people off. With all the technical science talk. You know, is it a Swirley Thing or a Wibbly thing?;)
    Blackadder should have won, if only for goes forth...

Darling :lol: