Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moral dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heres an interesting one...what do you do when...

A very elderly and sometimes confused old man is being cared for in a residential home by a team of care workers. He's taken a particular shine to one young male carer whom he prefers to help him bathe, go to the toilet etc.

One day he need to go to the toilet only the Care worker he likes is busy with another resident and so he askes one of the other full time carers to take the man to the toilet.

However, the old man is particularly put out. He's upset because the man taking him to the toilet is black and the old man has all through his life disliked and looked down upon black people.

So .... what is fair or moraly correct? Should the care team respect the old mans wishes and tell the Black care worker he can't attend to the man as it offends him or should the care team disregard the old mans feelings because they don't want to make distinctions according to race?

Comments

• Options
    I'm beginning not to believe in an objective morality but I reckon the old man has a right to be racist!

Ergo, if he feels comfortable with a white nurse then so be it!
  • Options
    I think they should gradually introduce the black care worker to the old man. Let the old man get to know him, they could get the care worker this old man likes and the black care worker to work as a team looking after the old man and eventually the old man will accept him.
    Old people can be very stand offish, they dont like change but if handled properly they can adapt.........they are just like kids really. Once they get to know someone they are fine, but its got to be a gradual thing.
  • Options
    they should get the black guy to sing and play some blues with the dissused piano in the corner ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    they should get the black guy to sing and play some blues with the dissused piano in the corner ...

OH mr Roll I lOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and that's even though I saw the photo!! :p )
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    OH mr Roll I lOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and that's even though I saw the photo!! :p )
    your made up with that pass aint ya! buzzing!
  • Options
    Shit! can you tell?...I even got flowers from the wanky boyfriend (You know, the one I live with but have been feeling kind of yuk about.)

yeah baby - that driving thing is so liberating, Perhaps the attraction will wear off but at the momnet I am buzzin'. maybe because i really thought I would fail...I really thought I HAD failed and yet...only six minors!!! AMAZING.
  • Options
    Well there has to be more than one other nurse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Well there has to be more than one other nurse.
    Yes, but the issue is whether they should have to make sure a white nurse is free for this man.

It's tricky because you can't stop the black nurse doing his job, regardless of whom he's treating. I don't think the man has the right to discriminate but then again the clinic are obliged to give him the care he wants as well as the care he needs. Hmmm, I'll have to think about this a bit more...
  • Options
    They should respect the old man's feelings and let him piss/shit himself. Accidents happen, after all.
  • Options
    They should respect the guys feelings.
    You can't take an old bloke, who for most of his life has disliked black people for whatever reason and put him in a situation where a black person who he doesn't know is taking him to the toilet and washing his nuts for him.

It doesn't matter why this person doesn't like black people, as long as he is quiet about it and not rude about it he can make his feelings known. Most black people I know are very understanding of the older generation, especially the 80 year olds who spent most of their life in what was, a very racist time. people have to remember that it's only really the last 20 years that black people have become truly accepted in mainstream society. It'll take longer than 20 years to change someones own beliefs that they've had since they were born.
  • Options
    Personally i would be more than happy not to wipe the arse of a racist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

byny didnt say he was racist, she said he had disliked black people and kind of looked down at them. Slightly different ? Would it not be better to educate him?
    yes i know he is old but old people are just like kids, so if the white care worker that he likes, gets on with the black care worker, then the old man could then start to like the black care worker ?
    Just a thought like :)

I dont think they should give up on people because of age, we are never too old to learn so educate the old people, they in turn talk to younger relatives and hey presto the younger members of his family (who may well be like the old man and not like black people) could just change their opinion also.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    i don't think it's racist as such in the way we understand and loath it to be honest.
    this guy is from another time ...another world. a world of english empire attitudes ...brittania rule the waves etc ...for king and country etc ...his brain and soul will have been hammered from an early age with this kind of stuff. them darkies etc ...
    not bnp material.
    hopefuly the black guy will see the funny side of it and hopefuly with time the guy can be educated a little ...
    but it is a tricky one.
  • Options
    The morally correct answer would be to tell the old man to put up and shut up, and make him get used to the black carer. Despite this, the morally correct answer may not be the best solution in this case. I can't imagine the black carer would be all that happy having to look after the man in that situation, and it would cause a lot of hassle and discomfort for all parties concerned.

My mum used to work in a care home, and I can remember this problem arising when one of the residents refused to acknowledge one of the carers because she was of a lower caste to her. It was very difficult for all, and the old woman made herself extremely unpopular in the process, but the home decided that the best option would be to use other carers for her. I can't help but feel a great deal of respect for the patience and the tolerance of the lower caste carer, who must have found the situation very difficult.

Katie x :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    They should respect the old man's feelings and let him piss/shit himself. Accidents happen, after all.

:lol: That tickled me... dunno why.

Well, I think they should get a white nurse for him if one is available. After all, it's probably his family, pension or money that's paying for his home and technically I guess that means he's entitled to be helped by some people and not by others because he's contributing to their wages.

As for the racism. Well everybody has an opinion on things and prejudices, if he doesn't like black people then there's no need to piss him off by giving him a black nurse, or piss the nurse off by making him wipe the arse of a 'racist'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

As for the racism.

Scuse me where does racism come into it ? byny said he didnt like black people, racism and not liking black people are two totally different things !!!!

again i say educate the old man, people are never too old to learn. Let this old man get to forget about the colour and see the care worked in a different light
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    Scuse me where does racism come into it ? byny said he didnt like black people, racism and not liking black people are two totally different things !!!!

again i say educate the old man, people are never too old to learn. Let this old man get to forget about the colour and see the care worked in a different light
    getting him to see the black guy as a fellow human being ...an equal man ...is going to be difficult ...my aunty who is in a home sees orientals as japeneese torturrs .....i'm out of it and out of here ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day

Uhhhh....
    However, the old man is particularly put out. He's upset because the man taking him to the toilet is black and the old man has all through his life disliked and looked down upon black people.

Sounds like 'racism' to me, certainly racial prejudice.

rac·ism

n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If you look down on somebody it means you are above them, to be 'above' somebody means heirarchy. To believe that skin colour predetermines where they appear in the heirarchy by dictionary terms makes him racist.
  • Options
    Ha haa...

I can't believe it!

"He's not racist! He just doesn't like blacks."

Ha ha haa
  • Options
    yes it's easy to brand him a racist, however it's difficult to accept he comes from a period of time when his way of thinking was believed to be common knowledge. You can't blame him for being brought up believing it, and you can't expect him to change either.

he may be a racist, but he is totally different to the sort of racist who joins the ku klux clan or BNP.
  • Options
    As far as I am concerned allowances should not be made for other people's bigotry no matter how old or infirm they are
  • Options
    But todays common knowledge is also racist...

I hear many people say with no doubt that blacks a better at basketball, they can sing better...

That "latinos" are great dancers...

That English are on time...

Italians are romantic...

Spanish are laid back...

French are smelly...

I never said the old man was evil. The man in KKK isn´t evil either. They have just been brought up in a different enviroment.

(There is some confusion with races or etnias in this post... that is because the idea of those divisions is stupid...)

What is BNP?
  • Options
    Originally posted by leese
    As far as I am concerned allowances should not be made for other people's bigotry no matter how old or infirm they are

Why not?
    To get on in the world you have to be able to make allowances for people at EVERY social level. You will meet people you don't agree with, or people you dont like for whatever reason. I work with a bloke who is one of the laziest people I have ever met, but in order to get on with my work I have to make allowances for him, in order that we look professional and do our job properly.

I also have to accept that i will meet people who are sezist, people who don't like asians, or asylum seekers. i may agree with them, i may not, but at all times i have to remain professional.

The black nurse in the nursing home will no doubt do the same thing.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think I would have to consider the staffing levels at the home and how inconvenient it would be for the preferred nurse to have to drop everything to take the elderly resident to the toilet.... I think that, while trying to respect the residents feelings, you also have to be practical.
  • Options
    Tough one, and we face it in the NHS everyday. It's racism, simple as. It makes no difference what era he's from the home (and the carer) should not have to face it. If the home let's him chose his carer based on race then they are also open to discrimination statutes...

To put it bluntly, stuff the old bugger. If it's a home they should try to evict him, if he wants to play supremecist.

We'd do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    What is BNP?

Isn't anyone telling me?
  • Options
    Sorry, its the British National Party, an ultra right wing party....
  • Options
    BNP= The British National Party.

A bunch of far-right, viciously racist, fascist, neo-nazi, Holocaust-denying, xenophobic, homophobic sub-human scumbags masquerading as a political party.

Edited to add: Ladyjade beat me to it.
  • Options
    I wasn't quite as eloquent as you though Aladdin....
  • Options
    I like to call a spade a spade. ;)