Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

racial tensions

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    it's not like in the 50's and 60's when most people arrived in the UK from the West Indies.

They are more "accepted", wheras new immigrants coming in, especially those claiming asylum, and even more so if they are not white, are the new target for racism. That comes from black people too, I have been surprised myself to hear colleagues who are black and mixed race complaining about "dirty asylum seekers". Seems some have short memories.

the migration of west indians into the uk in the late 50's into the sixties has no comparison with assylum seekers!
    the uk was short of men ...a lot of them having been slaughtered in yet another pointless massacre called war. we needed men to come here and work ...to help rebuild the nation ... seems they never got much thanks for it ...still.
    A lot of immigrants now aren't here by invitation like they were in the 50's and 60's
    So?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    So?
    so some of them are going to get turned away or chucked out.
    fairynuff
    So what if they are "invited" or not, they are still coming here, doing mostly crappy jobs and being discriminated against.

I know the situation is different to West Indian migration but it is still the same factors of people being afraid of the unknown, not understanding, and taking dislike to people who "look different".
    although it is true that right wing papers do evoke strong emotions in their readership, especially concerning asylum seekers etc, the left wing view seems to be that racism is solely perpetrated by whites against everyone else. when i was at school an african lad was picked on by the west indian boys who liked to call him "midnight". naturally nothing was done about it by the wet rag liberals who ran the school. now that IS bigotry.
    You're such a little fucking shit stirrer. Has anyone on here ever said that? Can you actually point to any evidence of what you say? I don't think you can, so fuck off.