Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fair Trade gets own brand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Co op stores are planning to roll out a full own brand range of fair trade groceries.

I set up their regional conference on the roll out of this (at my work) and its gonna be like tesco value but fair trade.

Shout it from the rooftops! fairtrade stuff doesnt have to be hard to find!

we still got waaay to go in the west on this issue but its a great boost foward

Market forces can make a difference:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic! :D I know where I'll be shopping.
  • Options
    good one. i already shop there and they do my house and motor insurance as well.
  • Options
    Yeah the Co-Op cough medicine is class.
  • Options
    Good ol Co-op, lets hope others follow
  • Options
    What do people think about 'Fair Trade' as comapred to 'but British'?

A while ago it seemed everyone wanted to support our farmers and but British etc and now Fair Trade and dropping trade restrictions to developing world farmers is in flavour.

Which would people rather see?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I just wish there was a co-op in my area, they are a bit scarce.
    And Toadborg I think if they start promoting high quality British produce via sustainable farming methods rather than the rubbish that passes for fresh food in the supermarkets, they might have a chance of making that campaign work. Farmers markets are becoming really popular again, so the impetus is already there....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

A while ago it seemed everyone wanted to support our farmers and but British etc and now Fair Trade and dropping trade restrictions to developing world farmers is in flavour.

We don't grow tea, coffee, sugar etc in this country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

fair trade should not exclude british farmers, sadly it seems to do so. Probably the big supermarkets are partly to blame, but we as consumers tend to want everything as cheep as possible. so well done to co-op.
  • Options
    s'just a bit of common sense.

I went veggie about 6 months ago but i was a bit concerned about taking away a market from british producers.

So i decided to buy stuff like honey and butter and stuff from the local (well, miles away actually) farm when me dad goes out there.

They used to do the nicest steaks.:D

('yes well im afraid that avenue of pleasure has been closed off' - basil fawlty.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    We don't grow tea, coffee, sugar etc in this country.
    we grow and export sugar you great puddin'.
  • Options
    Do we? I never knew that.
  • Options
    Is that inside the Eden Project? :p
  • Options
    Do we? I never knew that.
    we are more or less self sufficient in sugar production ...mostly grown in lincolnshire ...never heard of sugar beet?
    go have a look at your bag of sugar ...should say produce of uk.
  • Options
    Exactly, most suger doesnt come from suger cain anymore, well at least a lot of it doesnt.

Fair trade, organic and all that is all very well, but a lot of it still tastes crap.
    Most organic stuff on the market is rubbish.

I buy fair trade coffee because the stuff is the best tasting on the market, not that much because its actually fair trade. I think a lot of organic producers need to up thier game.

Plus, what about the food miles that go into all this swanky fair trade stuff, veg that has covered 5000 miles plus to get to you, thats fantastic for the enviroment isnt it.

Try buying fair trade milk, OH, there isnt any, yet dairy farmers in this country are going out of business all the time.

The CAP needs massive reform and we need to help change British farmers from mass production of crap to better, sustainable farmers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

we need to help change British farmers from mass production of crap to better, sustainable farmers.
    lots of that happening. here in north wales we have lamb and beef prodution ...90% organic. sheep are one of the easiest reatures to rear and extremely cheap but ...it's often the most expensive meat in the supermarket. the farmers get nothing like what the shops are raking in. the supermarkets need to change the most. it's there fault with the milk as well.
  • Options
    Oh, for sure, and the change in the subsidy law is helping as well, with support moving from Pillar I to II.

Thus meaning farmers get money for the area they grow, NOT the amount they grow. This means that they dont have to focus on output volume and can concentrate on quality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    we are more or less self sufficient in sugar production ...mostly grown in lincolnshire ...never heard of sugar beet?
    go have a look at your bag of sugar ...should say produce of uk.

My bag of Tate & Lyle doesn't say where it was produced. I'll take your word for it though.

We don't produce tea or coffee though.
  • Options

We don't produce tea or coffee though.
    fancy a smoke?
  • Options
    I'm perfectly happy to support Fair Trade in all its forms, even if some products are in direct competition with British farmers' own produce. For me it's all a question of who I perceive to be in greater need of help.

And this will raise some tempers in here but to be perfectly frank I don't have a lot of sympathy for the farming industry. Problems such as BSE and the emergence of antibiotic-resistant germs are all the result of feeding cattle all sorts of shit and pumping poultry full of antibiotics- all of it of course in the name of greed and profits and without any consideration about the health consequences it has for all of us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

And this will raise some tempers in here but to be perfectly frank I don't have a lot of sympathy for the farming industry. Problems such as BSE and the emergence of antibiotic-resistant germs are all the result of feeding cattle all sorts of shit and pumping poultry full of antibiotics- all of it of course in the name of greed and profits and without any consideration about the health consequences it has for all of us.
    aladin ...i live in a farming community and i do know what your saying but ...apart from the realy huge estates round here and there are a lot of them ...lords, private airstrips, hellipads and such ...most of the family farmers are not particularly well educated. shrewd as fuck and hard working but little schooling. so when this ground up dead cow food appeared ...from salesmen of big animal feeds and protiens companies ...who in turn are being supplied by the latest tricks of the chemical industry ...it's not entirely fair blaming the farmer and his wife.
    at the hight of the BSC problem there were so many suicides and attempted ones by farmers ...many turned to drink and lost their businesses ...many long marriages and ancient family and nieghborhood fudes errupted. the farmers were living in a hell that the townies couldn't comprehend.
    the blame ...if it can be laid, should be at the doors of ici ...monsanto ...HMG.
    when the big estates started to feed their cattle on this stuff and the antibiotics etc etc ...the weekly markets would show magnificent prices for his lordships cattle ...they were so healthy and happy and ...HEAVY. top quality through modern iprovement ...so dai the farmer and his brother ...jones the butcher ...had to keep up. but keep up in ignorance of they were realy doing.
    the salesmen who travel the farms and still largely laying low in some areas!
    there are guys out here who will shoot them ...and happily go off to strangeways for twenty years ...they consider it a price worth paying ...
  • Options
    I agree with what you're saying Roll, that's why I ensured to mention the 'farming industry' as a whole.

I see some farmers partly to blame but as you have well pointed out Big Corporation had much more to do with and to profit from it.
  • Options
    Personally I think it's important to support both fair trade and British grown produce. There aren't many places to get fair trade things from around me and the food isn't that bad. Makes nice gifts for people too.

As for organic food, don't understand how people can knock it. Organic free range lamb tastes fantastic and the fruit & veg, well... at least you're not putting chemicals inside you.
  • Options
    So many of the problems that are blamed on farmers are really mostly caused by the CAP though.

When you look at the way subsidies used to be handed out no wonder farmers used everything they could lay their hands on to increase yeild, that was the way the system worked.

As for organic stuff, I just find a lot of it isnt that good, its a bit limp and not that tasty.

And as for putting chemicals in my body, well, its not as simple as that is it. They dont have to be these foul cancer causing chemicals, just because its organic doesnt always mean its made on this tiny family farm, or that its actually better for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    just because its organic doesnt always mean its made on this tiny family farm, or that its actually better for you.
    your right ...organic can be a very misleading word ...and a clever cover for selling you chemicaly saturated food.
    to produce amphetamine ...you practice organic chemistry. doesn't make amphetamine healthy for you.
    organic simply means living or once living meaning ...your organic food could contain any form of carbon ...from coal to oil to petrol. ammonia is organic.
    propper labeling and other controls are supposed to help us out of this confusion but some of the big companies always find a way of fooling you.
    if possible ...drive out of town ...have a day out and buy from the farm. you'll get to know who's got the good reputations and bad.
    you'll see the farm and the family and get a feel for whats right. great way of shopping.
  • Options
    I really hate the idea that Nature is always better and science is the practice of evil blokes in white coats wanting to posion everything thats right and true in the name of profit.
  • Options
    If organic food isn't a viable alternative, in that it tastes just as good or ideally, better, than commercially farmed produce, then it will never be the preferred way of growing food, because the average consumer just won't buy it. It is only a small proportion of the population who buy organic simply because of what it is.
  • Options
    Sustainable farming is the viable option, organic produce is only a part of that and shouldnt be looked at in isolation because it will always be slightly more expencive and therefore a luxury item.

Sustainable farming can include the use of some chemicals but they are highly regulated and used in the very minimal amounts.

It means looking after the enviroment, yet still using it intensively because we need to.

The problem is if we decide we arent going to support farmers here then we will have to import more. The controls on farming in other counrties are weaker, so we are just moving the enviromental damage elsewhere. Its better to keep it in the UK where we can control it better.

To do this we need clear labels and we need a big reform over the way we support farmers and the way we regulate the industry.
  • Options
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    If organic food isn't a viable alternative, in that it tastes just as good or ideally, better, than commercially farmed produce, then it will never be the preferred way of growing food, because the average consumer just won't buy it.

The average consumer won't buy it if it is too expensive, because they can't afford it.

I used to buy FairTrade tea, because it was only about 40p more than Tetley's- now it is more like £1.50 more, and awful as it sounds, I can't afford to spend the extra, no matter how deserving the cause. Many people can't.

If fairTrade is slightly more exepnsive, or the same price, then people will purchase it. The Co-Op are good at this- Free Range eggs are about 3p more expensive, and are packaged a lot better than battery eggs that they sell with huge labels warning that they are battery eggs.
  • Options
    For example, its all very well being able to buy say suger snap peas during the off season, but where are they coming from and how are they grown?

Yes there are protectionist measures put onto the food market within the EU, and that does make it harder for Third World farmers. BUT, do they follow the same enviromental rules as we do? If they can prove they do then there should be no tarrifs. If they cant then they should have to compete unfairly.

Export tarrifs though should stop, it allows the EU to dump excess food on the Third World, its unfair, expencive and open to rampant abuse.