Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mobilisation against terrorists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
News Article

I was reading that and it's actually quite scary. It looks like they're going to be putting soldiers in key places like airports and possibly train stations (well there already are soldiers in Gatwick aren't there :confused:) but all over Europe as well. You'll never be far away from a strongly armed force.

What are your thoughts and views?

Comments

• Options
    I think it will look a bit over the top and will probably scare more people than reassure. Putting tanks and soldiers on the streets will also keep the 'War on Terror' in the public conscience, something that could be very useful politically.

I don't see how it would stop an attack as we still wouldn't have any idea where/when/how.
  • Options
    might explain what i sAW the other day. army everywhere i slow down expecting speed coppers to be sat. jeeps trucks etc. this was in north wales ...no where near anything that could be of the slightest interest to a terrorist but maybe just practising.
  • Options
    the day after september 11th me and my dad went to france and they had sniffer dogs sniffing around the car and they stopped us and searched the car.

i had some skunk in a tin under the passengers seat, and they didnt find it!

Should i have been surprised or were they simply not looking for this type of thing?:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir

i had some skunk in a tin under the passengers seat, and they didnt find it!

Should i have been surprised or were they simply not looking for this type of thing?:confused:
    sweating!
    the dogs were obviously only trained for sniffing out explosives.

all this security is a bit of a joke realy. tons and tons ...literaly tons at a time of dope ...coke and heroin coming to our shores. so if you want to smuggle people andor weapons into this country just do it with a drug run ...almost gauranteed to get through.
  • Options
    More than likely the dogs were trained to sniff out explosives not drugs, lucky you.

*edited to say... darn MR. you beat me to the draw on that response!*
  • Options
    ah i see.

that was possibly the most irresponsible thing i have ever done (really, we could have been in mucho troubleo). I was really metally dependant on pot by this time but thats beside the point.

The best way to fight terrorism is to try to combat the incentive to attack.

Take the iranian earthquake.

Western aid agencies helping in poor areas to alleviate suffering demonstrates to those people that the West is not just suits and godless infidels. Compassion and understanding in that case may have presented a different view to those who before may have been really hostile to the west.

just a thought.