Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dressing For Interview?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, I've been invited to a Teacher Training Agency seminar in Leeds, a follow-up to an enquiry I made at www.canteach.gov.uk on the next steps into the profession.

There'll be drinks, an hour's presentation and questions at the end.

What I'm wondering is when I go is it to be taken as seriously as an interview? Am I trying to make a good impression and how will I be looked upon? What should I be wearing? I don't actually own any proper trousers. Are jeans and a shirt suitable or do I need to flex my debit card and use that overdraft?

Comments

• Options
    well, my general rule for interviews is find out what the staff wear and go slightly smarter.

so for teacher training, i'd say probably smart-casual. i doubt they're expecting you in a suit, but then again if you just roll up in jeans and a t-shirt they might think you're not very well presented.

look nice, but look like yourself.
  • Options
    if you're going for teacher training i suspect that they won't complain if you turn up wearing jeans and t-shirt...they will however quietly cross your name off the list. a teacher needs to demonstrate that they are efficient and reliable as well as dressed as if they mean business. this can all be hinted at with the appropriate clothing at an interview. how many teachers do you know that have authority and natural respect that turn up in jeans and a t-shirt? not many i suspect. i would suggest smart / smart casual. this usually means suit trousers/skirt and a shirt or smart top. you intend to be comfortable as well as give a good impression. hope this helps.
  • Options
    Personally I'd go shirt and nice black trousers from top man or something.. smart casual.. best bet is wear a tie.. and if it's too much just take it off on a break :)