Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Morning After Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Couple of questions....

Did it make many people sick after they took it? And do you get a period afterwards or do you just carry on as normal?

I know I should really know this but the woman told me nothing and I've thrown the box & leaflet in the bin :rolleyes: Cheers girlies.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Morning After Pill
    Originally posted by Faith
    Couple of questions....

Did it make many people sick after they took it? And do you get a period afterwards or do you just carry on as normal?

I know I should really know this but the woman told me nothing and I've thrown the box & leaflet in the bin :rolleyes: Cheers girlies.

From what I remember when my friend took it if your sick straight away or within an hour it might/won't work or be as affective as you can throw the actual pill up..

I think if your sick like a few hours later it should be ok. it happens to some people..

What pill have you got?
    Re: Re: Morning After Pill
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    From what I remember when my friend took it if your sick straight away or within an hour it might/won't work or be as affective as you can throw the actual pill up..

I think if your sick like a few hours later it should be ok. it happens to some people..

What pill have you got?
    MORNING AFTER pill

faith, there are some FAQs on the brook website that answer your questions.
    http://www.brook.org.uk/content/M3_2_emergency.asp

personally i've never taken it so can't help.
    Re: Re: Re: Morning After Pill
    Originally posted by lipsy
    MORNING AFTER pill

faith, there are some FAQs on the brook website that answer your questions.
    http://www.brook.org.uk/content/M3_2_emergency.asp

personally i've never taken it so can't help.

theres more than one isn't there.. theres the one where u have to take 2.. or whatever.. I dunno but I thought there is more than one type of map.
    if you're sick after taking it, you might need to take it again. i'd ring NHS direct and ask, personally...might seem like you're overreacting, but it's better safe than sorry.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Morning After Pill
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    theres more than one isn't there.. theres the one where u have to take 2.. or whatever.. I dunno but I thought there is more than one type of map.

You used to have to take 2 pills 12 hours apart, now you take them both at the same time. Thanx anyway though :)

Ta Lipsy I've had a look at that site. I'm just stressing slightly cos I've never taken it before :rolleyes:
    When I took it I felt really sick and nearly was. And I had a normal period afterwards, as far as I can remember.
    I took it a few times and I could have either taken both pills at the same time(which I did) or take one pill now and take the next one exactly 12 hours from now.

I dont remember feeling sick at all. I made sure I ate when I took them though.
    Hiya
    Everyone reacts differently to the MAP - many women find that it makes them sick, but many don't. If this happens to you, it's best to see your GP immediately, or call one of the following helplines. Have a read of our factsheet on emergency contraception too.

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

:)
    i know its a couple of days to late but thort i wpould put my experience of the M.A.P on incase anyone searched it in the future.

The M.A.P doesnt make the majority of people sick how ever if you are within 3 hrs of taking it then you need to see your gp/pharmacist again to get another dose.

Depending on where you get it from depends on how u will be told to take it. From most gp's/ pharmacists their licences are for the 2 pills to be taken 12 hrs apart. however brook is doing a trial at the moment where both pills should be taken at the same time. they expect the outcome of this trial to be that taking both pills at the same time is just as effective as taking them 12 hrs apart. (when i found this out after taking the pills at the same time i wasnt to impressed as the effectiveness of taking them both at the same time is not fully known. it worked for me tho)

The M.A.P can cause your period to come earlier than usual however you can still start your period as usuall. if you havent had your period 2 wks after taking the M.A.P even if you arnt yet due on you are advised to get a pregnancy test asap as like any form of contreception it is not 100%

if anyone knows of any detremental effects of taking the M.A.P quite a few times could they please post them - i was havin trouble with condoms at the time as they kept popping and wasnt allowed on the pill at that time due to high blood pressure. Due to this i had the M.A.P about 5 times in a four mobnth period.

I know that filling your body with such high levels of hormones cant be good for you, but i recently read that overuse of the M.A.P can lead to breast cancer.

Thanx
    I wasn't actually sick, but it made me feel really ill and didn't have my period till end of my cycle but it was shorter than normal
    Originally posted by leese
    I wasn't actually sick, but it made me feel really ill
    That's what it did to me!

Thanx to everyone who replied by the way, you can all be quite nice and helpful when needed :p