Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Customizing t-shirts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would I get about, getting printed writing on a t-shirt? Is it complicated? Expensive?

Comments

• Options
    ok. you have a few options.

you can get it done professionally, either screen printed or transfer type printed. this is usually pretty expensive - about £15 a shirt.

or you can do it yourself:

iron on letters. these are transfer type things that you just iron to fix. they're pretty sturdy.

fabric paint, either freehand or stencilled. you iron it to fix the colour - should last pretty well.

fabric pens - as above.

or you can print yourself - lino prints or screen prints. the equipment for this can cost a bit more, but you'll be able to use it over and over.
  • Options
    If I use the fabric paint, how do I then get it to look as if it was printed writing?
    Do I print out a piece of paper saying what I want in the font I choose, and cut out the black, which I fill with paint?
  • Options
    I used to make shirts all the time. The most easiest and cheapest way to do it is to buy iron on transfer paper, stick it in your printer, print what you want, but backwards and iron on a shirt. But with this the shirts have to be light in color or it wont show up and it fades.
  • Options
    Cool tip to know!

Thank you, to both of you.

*goes crazy in the thought of all the song lyrics which would look cool on t-shirts*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Cool tip to know!

Thank you, to both of you.

*goes crazy in the thought of all the song lyrics which would look cool on t-shirts*

watch out though, you'll get addicted and soon have a closet full of your homemade tshirts ;):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    If I use the fabric paint, how do I then get it to look as if it was printed writing?
    Do I print out a piece of paper saying what I want in the font I choose, and cut out the black, which I fill with paint?

the best thing to do is get hold of some sticky-back plastic, draw your design/writing on, cut it out, peel the back off and stick it to the shirt. then sponge on fabric paint, let it dry, and then peel off the plastic - you will get cleaner, neater letters this way.

iron-on transfer paper is ok, but it tends to peel off really easily, and can look really cheap. if you try this - the expensive brand names are the ones to go for (HP paper is ok) because the cheap ones are just beyond shit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    I used to make shirts all the time. The most easiest and cheapest way to do it is to buy iron on transfer paper, stick it in your printer, print what you want, but backwards and iron on a shirt. But with this the shirts have to be light in color or it wont show up and it fades.

they sell special transfer paper for dark t-shirts nowdays :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    the best thing to do is get hold of some sticky-back plastic, draw your design/writing on, cut it out, peel the back off and stick it to the shirt. then sponge on fabric paint, let it dry, and then peel off the plastic - you will get cleaner, neater letters this way.
    OMG... I love you Kaffrin!!!! lol...

Ilora x