Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Snacks.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any suggestions for snacks which you can eat constantly without gaining any weight/calories etc. Or don't such things exist? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fruit perhaps?
  • Options
    i doubt there's anything you can eat with no calories in (except perhaps sugar-free mints, but if you eat them constantly it won't just be weight you lose.

but fruit and raw veggies are good to snack on, and plain popcorn.

but a better idea would be, instead of having a snack, have a big glass of water. that'll fill you up, has no calories or fat and will do wonders for the state of your skin and hair. :)
  • Options
    If you're craving something sweet and chocolatey, jaffa cakes are quite good fat content wise, they have a *lot* less fat in than most other biscuits/mini chocolate bars. Fruit and raw vegetables are also very good, in some shops now you can get like little crisp-sized packets of fruits and veggies which makes it more interesting than just cutting something up yourself. You could try making your own milkshakes as well if you have a blender at home, just get some bananas and semi-skimmed milk and mix them up together, you don't need to add any sugar or other ingredients to make it taste nice.
  • Options
    Ok thanks. It's just sudden worry because I've started to eat hella-lots of food and I've always tried to take care of my body, I'd hate to change shape.
  • Options
    I've been eating pretzels instead of crisps recently as fat-wise its lower-but I'm guessing the extra salt content is probably cancelling out any benefits!

My downfall is late night snacking-no matter what I snack-poor willpower. I'll try the milkshake thing -as isn't banana good before you sleep-or am I getting confused?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    isn't banana good before you sleep-or am I getting confused?

Nope, not confused - bananas and milk are both good for helping you to sleep.
    The only thing that doesn't have calories is water, but you can still eat a fair ol' amount without being unhealthy if you choose carefully.

Snack wise, fruit is the best (and generally most predictable) one. Yoghurt is good, as is toast, pasta salad, mini packs of cereal and milk etc- proper food as opposed to chocolate and crisps which won't help the hunger thing. If you do want chocolate, it's often better to eat it at the end of a meal rather than on its lonesome otherwise it'll send your blood-sugar sky high and then come crashing back down again leaving you just as hungry as before.

And if you really are finding yourself hungry all the time, it might be worth a trip to the doc's - an overactive thyroid is a possibility but as long as you're not gorging on mars bars and gaining masses of weight, it may just be a phase.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    It's just sudden worry because I've started to eat hella-lots of food and I've always tried to take care of my body, I'd hate to change shape.

what about getting some serious excercise? play football/rugby/whatever and continue eating everything you like!
    that's what I am doing! :D

but fruit is good nevertheless! ;)
  • Options
    I do plenty of exercise, I'll just eat less crap I think.
  • Options
    Celery has negative calories :yes:
  • Options
    the greatest healthy light lunch/big snack:

houmas, pitta bread, and raw veggies- i wonder who i'll eat today:naughty:

and smoothies

but really i can say much cos i'm not eating much at all at the moment, cos i just feel sick everytime i go near the fridge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Celery has negative calories :yes:

How does that work? :eek2:
  • Options
    lol...i heard that about celery too. Can't remember where from though, must just be one of those random facts that you pick up. It burns more calories to eat it than it actually has in it...if that made sense.

I'm currently addicted to snack-a-jacks which are pretty good to snack on. I've given up crisps :( and now I have snack-a-jack cravings instead lol They're about 50cals each the big ones and very low in fat too. I can't do the fruit and veg thing personally....scary healthy food!! :eek2:
  • Options
    I wish so much that i could like celery i really do, but i hate it!

I just eat excessive amounts of fruit..

I tend to fill myself up on black coffee, with no sugar (save the sugar for my morning cups of coffee) but coffee isnt really good for you.

We constantly have at least 4 packs of snack-a-jacks in my house, love them.
  • Options
    Ah, I see. I have a big thing about breadsticks at the moment. Plain, breadsticks. mmm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    How does that work? :eek2:

You burn off more calories eating it than are actually in it :yes:
  • Options
    Well most things make you put on weight. Im trying to cut down on snacks cause i want better skin really. I would say toast is a good one an yeah fruit. Eat fruits you like though like strawberrys! Plus snack a Jacks? salt an vinger ones you can get an cheesy ones they aint too bad. Alpen bars look pretty healthy. Yougurt raisons may sound rubbish but are actually pretty nice in my opinion!
  • Options
    My mate was on the South Beach Diet and he said their advice when you get sweet cravings is to have a teaspoonful of peanut butter, apparently it works - he looks and feels great
  • Options
    eww :yuck: peanut butter

anyone know any more negative calorie foods??
  • Options
    Originally posted by freak
    eww :yuck: peanut butter

anyone know any more negative calorie foods??

stuff like lettuce and cucumber
  • Options
    There was a thing that I read in a magazine, about foods celebs eat that are healthier than the normal snacks, and I've taken up 2 of them - one is eating a low-fat chocolate mousse instead of a bar of chocolate (This is what Kylie does, apparently). The M&S ones are lovely. Then there's Rachel Stevens' trick of having Tic Tacs when she has a sugar craving. One of Girls Aloud eats crackerbread type things when she fancies crisps.
  • Options
    I eat Frusli bars if I'm feeling peckish...

They're lower in fat and calories than most other snack bars.. and they take some chewing so they're very filling...

SweetLeaf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    lol...i heard that about celery too. Can't remember where from though, must just be one of those random facts that you pick up. It burns more calories to eat it than it actually has in it...if that made sense.

False. Proved otherwise by last months edition of Men's Health. I think.