Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

walking in high heels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hows it done?!!

even at the ripe old age of 33 I still cant do it! Lastnight I saw Carrie on sex and the city RUN in hers!! yet I always find that while my shoes are fine on carpet as soon as I get outside I can't walk without looking like a dick.

Last night I walked up and down the street in my heels and it was fine, so perhaps I just need confidence because I always feel like I'm being stared at.
Is it something to do with the way you swing your hips?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you find out, let me know, cos I just cant do it. I feel like a man in drag wearing high heels, Not at all graceful. Plus they really really hurt even after only a short time.
    I think you just need to get used to wearing heels, have confidence and just......well......walk.

I couldn't walk in heels to save myself when I left school but onece i stated wearing them every day, I was fine
    The hips thing happens naturally when you walk fast. But you need to be careful cus if you watch women in heels walking fast they tend to lean forward and it looks awful. It also really hurts the backs of your legs. So be sure you stand up straight.

A good investment would be some kitten heels. You get the classiness of the horsey sound without the 'holy shit I'm guna fall on my arse' heel. I'm wearing the ones with the lil flower on from Office. They're really nice but not to be worn with skirts cus they make your feet look like boats.

Nomi
    XxxXxxX
    stilletos are so the way to go...and yes they hurt but who cares....and dont try running first time you wear a pair :p and just walk slowly when you start wearing em and you'll get used to em....im off out in my something like 5/6 inch stilletos now :p
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    if you find out, let me know, cos I just cant do it. I feel like a man in drag wearing high heels, Not at all graceful. Plus they really really hurt even after only a short time.
    Me too! My sister says they make me look like Eddie Izzard... :yeees:
    i think it is something to do with confidence, because i cant walk in heels either .. unless im drunk! how weird is that!

all heels used to hurt me, like a burning pain on the bottom of ur foot but they sell these like gell pad things now, like insoles and they somehow stop them from hurtin .. only they make ur shoes rather tight lol so u need em another 2 sizes bigger but its all worth it in the end!

xx
    sometimes, wearing heels gives me more confidence. maybe it's 'cause they make me taller. i dunno.

but yeh, i'm fine in heels aslong as they're comfy.
    I can walk in them but running :eek2:

Have you seen Kylie dance about like mad in hers? Crazy! :confused:
    i always wear heels so ive got used to it. you will just get used to it. i dont fink i cud run in em tho! :eek:
    I ran away from charvers, along a main road then through mud, in 4 inch stilletto strappy sandals once :) I was drunk... can barely keep 'em on my feet when I'm sober!

I can walk fine in heels with a platform, or normal high heeled boots or some shoes. Stillettoes I have difficulty with though; also those shoes that don't have any straps or anything across the main foot; can't keep them on my feet!
    I don't think stillettos were designed to walk in. I trip myself up everytime I put a pair on. I think learning how to walk in them is an art form. I like big thick heels that are clunky and support me.
    Re: walking in high heels
    Originally posted by byny
    Lastnight I saw Carrie on sex and the city RUN in hers!!

Supposedly Sarah Jessica Parker wears her heels at home, with weights round her ankles! And so when she is out in them, they feel light as a feather and super easy to walk in. Makes sense i guess...
    Re: Re: walking in high heels
    Originally posted by draven
    Supposedly Sarah Jessica Parker wears her heels at home, with weights round her ankles! And so when she is out in them, they feel light as a feather and super easy to walk in. Makes sense i guess...

Wow... that's a fantastic idea. I am so gonna try that.
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    stilletos are so the way to go...and yes they hurt but who cares....
    No they dont. Well, not eh ones that I wear. :p I don't see the point in wearing shoes that hurt you tbh. All my shoes are luvvleh, but they dont hurt (I spose they did for the first day).
    Have you seen Kylie dance about like mad in hers? Crazy! :confused:
    Yes. Yes I have. Right up close, too :p
    Originally posted by whisper
    I don't think stillettos were designed to walk in.

right, so you're meant to stay at home and sit on the sofa wearing them. :p
    oh its defo a confidence thing! I cant even walk bare foot if i know someone could be looking :(
    Heh heh - so get some confidence, that seems to be the trick!! I can do it when i'm drunk too but then I guess I have no worries about looking like a twat!
    i don't own any shoes with heels.

nearest i've got is a pair of wedge-type sandal things that i wear for wedding and interviews, and have maybe worn 5 times ever.

i don't think they look nice, and they sure as hell aren't comfy. i'll stick to my trainers, thanks.
    same here i actually think heels look really silly

especially the poity toe ones

sorry if anyone has these
    I find it easy to walk in heels. I ran in them the other day for the bus because I was late for work and they are every half hour. the amount of times I nearly fell over. :| And yes, they kill after about 6 hours.
    i can't walk in high heels at all if i do wear heels i wear kitten heels, but i prefer trainers.
    i can walk alright in them but if you think your being looked at and arnt confident id say you make yourself look even more like a dick
    What I don't understand is how people who work in clothes shops, like Top Shop, wear 'fashionable' shoes ALL DAY!! I mean, I work in a shop and I wear flat black shoes, the most comfortable ones I have, and they still kill my feet if I'm in all day. But you get staff in shops like that in like stillettoes and pointy-toed shoes!
    It really pisses me off how you get these people wearing these nice shoes and they don't hurt them. But me, no.:impissed:

I got some really nice smart flat shoes with a little detail on the front from dorothy perkins and they were £30 and i assumed they'd be okay but i can't even walk down the road without them hurting lots. :(
    i saw a really big fat girl yesterday in stilletos. she was having major problems walking!!

i prefer to wear small heels and i rarely wear shoes -they really fuck up your feet. i'm more of a boots girl with the plus side of being able to wear socks and in-soles to make them comfy.

can't beat trainers though :)
    I am exactly the same, it is so reassuring to know that I'm not alone! I can't even walk about the house in heels so how anyone can walk around on uneven pavements etc. is beyond me. I wear kitten heels out occasionally but after a little while they really start to hurt the balls of my feet. Even flat shoes always seem to rub my heel or my toes.
    What I don't understand is how people who work in clothes shops, like Top Shop, wear 'fashionable' shoes ALL DAY!!

I know what you mean there, I stand around at work all day and by the end of the day I feel like I'll never be able to walk again even when I'm wearing a big old granny pair of flat shoes, whereas other girls I work with wear like 3-4 inch heels and seem to have no problem.
    one of my bosses at work always wears really high heels, like about 4in, just for everyday wear. She says she cant wear flat shoes as they kill her feet!
    I can walk in heels once im used to them, and run in them, well totter fast :p
    I don't wear heels to school, as I have to walk to school and back, so it would kill my feet. For going out I like pointy black stiletto heels, or kitten-heeled shoes. I can just about run in stilettos, although I fell over last weekend when my unsober friend pushed me to run too fast, so I tripped over and scraped my foot up on the pavement :rolleyes:
    this thread reminds me of a programme i saw a while back about chinese foot wrapping anyone see that?