Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Fired! Now what?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well after 5 years of working for ladbrokes, ive just been dimissed for the most petty of things.
I kinda cant be arsed to get upset about this, and have optimistically accepted that this might be an oppurtunity to get a better job.

The only thing is that now ive got the sack, how difficult will it be to get a new job? Obviously potential employers arent gonna look too favourably on my situation. So anyone got any opinions or experiences of having to get a new job after being fired. Ive never claimed benefits and never want to, so im really eager to get another job before the end of this month!
Im going back to uni this summer so i was thinking about joining an agency?

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Options
    I was fired from a pub job once, why I do not know! I'm a civil servant now and being sacked by a previous employer didn't really hold me back.

When you get a new job, the new employer generally doesn't check your references until they have employed you. So if it was something really petty then you should be ok. I think your old employer has to very careful about how they word the reference as well....they can't really go into reasons for the dismissal.
  • Options
    find out exactly WHY you got fired... if it's something inexcusable then sorry, but good luck. if it's something stupid then go see someone about it and get advice.
  • Options
    by legal requirement, employers have to give a fair reference unless you have been fired for theft of company property in which case you would probably find it hard to get another job. They dont really check references and you can just say that you didnt feel comfortable working for them and it wasnt for you, so thats why youve come here to start fresh. I wouldnt go on the dole as yet, jus keep trying..takes a while and the job centre can appear condesending but all be fine.

:D
  • Options
    I was fired from a home-working job last December, simply because I dident get many sales (I was working for Teletex and it was crap anyway!) or so they said. I think it was realy to make room for, shall we say, a friend of the bosses. I dident have a leg to stand on as I was just within my 12 weeks probationary period...
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got another job and it pays almost twice as much! :cool: I now work in a lovely office (not a high street agency!) and my house is my home again!:D
    I simply told my new employer at my interview, that I had tried home-working and it simply dident work out. No lies there. it was true...But I feel in certain circumstances it pays to "GLOSS OVER" the truth occasionally:naughty:
    ...and Good Luck!!!;)