Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Fear Of Flying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok, me and my mate have just booked up 2 go on a 18-30's holiday in Zante (Greece). Trouble is, im shit scared of flying!

Wel i have flown b4, but it woz 2 spain and only took 2 hours, but this flight takes 5 HOURS!

See, i dont have a problem forcing myself onto the plane. Im just worried that il pretend im ok, get up there, and after 10 minutes, freak out like a nutter. And then have 2 freak out 4 the next 5 hours...

Can anyone help?

Or has anyone been in this type of situation b4?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i know how you feel, i'm not the biggest fan of flying.
    i never used to mind it but now i panic a bit.

i just tell myself that everything is fine, i also try to sleep on the plane, doesn't always work.
    if you're sitting with mates try and talk to them and keep yourself (and your mind) occupied

i'm sure there's also tablets and things you can take, either natural herbal remedies or prescribed drugs.
    i have some tablets that a doctor prescribed which help with panic/anxiety.
    i normally take one before flying and they seem to work, though i sometimes still get the 'fears', normally only when coming into land.

i don't know if this is of any help.
  • Options
    Hiya
    We have a feature that may help you out here.
    Good luck!
    ;)
  • Options
    I think its interesting the way people distort the risks of the life around them.

Driving for example is really dangerous, 3500 people die a YEAR just in the UK because of accidents on the road. Yet people dont get 'fear of driving', why is that?

The same with trains, they are far safer than driving yet people dont realise.

Going by plane is almost unmeasurably safe, its about one in 10,000,000 chance of death for commercial planes within the EU.

However turning that on its head, thats about the odds of winning the lottery, yet people play.

I guess it has to do with control, people feel they are in control of a car and therefore they are safe. But this of course isnt true unless you are driving on an empty road, which doesnt happen that often.

If you are that bothered there are a hoast of things you can take, I wouldnt bother though, flying is fantastic. It should be a joy everytime we take off, it really is a marvel.
    Just think of the science behind the whole thing, it really is very impressive.
  • Options
    right, im not really scared of flying but i've been on holiday with my parents a few times and my mam hates flying, she get quite pissed in the airport to stop her nerves, if you dont want to do that then maybe some other drugs?? or you could just have a few sleeping tablets so you sleep the whole way
  • Options
    I went through a period of being really scared of flying for about the last two years. It started with a horrible weekend when I watched Pearl Harbour in the cinema (lots of plane crashes in that one) and then the very next day saw a plane crash (IRL) and was further compounded by September the 11th a few months later. Before this i had never been scared of flying before in fact I loved it loads. My fear got so bad that i ended up crying all the way home from india and clinging onto a random lady who was sitting next to me (thankfully she was very nice about it).

However I have recently told myself that i have to get a grip on the situation, i have sat myself down and talked rationally to myself about it. I am so unlikely to die by going on an aeroplane its not worth worrying about it, there is no point in being scared about everything in life and I should just not think about it .

I think its working................
  • Options
    If you are going on a long haul flight I would highly advise against drinking, I have done it a few times, and I can tell you there is NOTHING worse than waking up hung over on a plane. They serve you those plastic omlettes and you really want to puke.
  • Options
    Flying really isn't bad at all, just try to relax and look forward to what is coming up, holls. And btw i'm sure greece isn't a 5 hour flight, it was only 4 - 4.5 too Cyprus...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I guess it has to do with control, people feel they are in control of a car and therefore they are safe. But this of course isnt true unless you are driving on an empty road, which doesnt happen that often.

good point

but my fear of it is more because you are XXXXXfeet above sea level (insert lots of jargon) and so...i dunno actually....its like you're up there, with no firm ground to stand on really. And if something was to happen (bar midair explosion) you would know about it and have time to think about it as the plane plummeted down...wow...thats bloody scary :( I didnt mean to scare anyone...thats just my fear...sorry!

Ive been on god knows how many planes...it took me 8 flights to get to Australia and back, and ive done it twice...but im still super scared. Its such a bad thing to be scared of. It really ruins the excitement of a holiday for me because i worry so much about the flight in advance :( Plus...it puts me off booking things and going places :(

I guess its an irrational fear...the facts are there...i drive, thats much more dangerous...but then again, a fear of a little spider is irrational too, and i cant even look at a picture of one of those in a book :(
  • Options
    I realy DO NOT like flying:eek:
    But I love travellin' so it makes me feel rather like how a drug addict must feel...I have to have my "fix" of hopping around the globe but that can only (well unless I'm overlanding) be achieved by getting on a big winged thing...
    I have several tried and tested ways of getting over this, but belive me when I say, they won't work for everyone.
    Firstly I take bach flowers rescue remidy. This helps calm my nerves. Then a certain ammount of booze is invloved. Then, usually while we are taxiing, I will take a tamazepam, these my mum sends to me about 3 days before I travel. Now with these things combined...well Im flying before I have left the ground!!:eek:
    I have to admit though, I go very easy with the booze. I will have perhaps two glasses of wine before boarding, then maybe two with my meal on board...works a treat for me!
    Thanks to these methods I have now travelled to over 35 countrys and have been on anything, from a Russian helicopter in Nepal, to goodness knows how many 747 400s! and yet I still hate flying! :crazyeyes
    Just as a little footnote, like I said, these methods work for me and should not be tried by anyone...No dought you will find your own "cure", its certainly nice trying...:naughty:

Fare ye well on swift wings!:D
  • Options
    I have a giant fear of flying and heights. At the moment, I don't go abroad on holiday at all. I guess I miss out a lot, but thats how shit-scared I am of them.

Getting pissed before I go on the plane is probably the best idea I've heard yet.
  • Options
    most fears are totally irrational and blown out of proportion.

for me, i'm scared because there's nowhere i can go if i panic. if i'm in a car, we can pull over, if i'm on a bus, i can get off. on a plane you're stuck there for the duration.

also although driving is a lot riskier than flying, you hear about people surviving car crashes all the time. and if you're in a plane crash, well, you're pretty much fucked.

your best bet is to get hold of some of the travel sickness tablets that make you really drowsy. you'll be so sleepy you won't be able to panic. i swear by them.
  • Options
    Planes are one of the most safest methods of transport about. If you drive, I suppose you just get in your car and go down the road without a 2nd thought? It doesn't sound nice but, your more likely crash your car than a plane crashing down.

Maybe you should go see your doctor and ask if he can give you something? Or try taking those Calms about a month before you go. Aviod sleeping tablets at all costs. Take your walkman and listen to some tunes, you will proberly have a film to watch as well on a 5 hour flight. But if you are REALLY scared then maybe you should go and have a few sessions with a counselor, you just might suprise your self.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Travel Agent

I have several tried and tested ways of getting over this, This helps calm my nerves. Then a certain ammount of booze is invloved. Then, usually while we are taxiing, I will take a tamazepam, these my mum sends to me about 3 days before I travel. Now with these things combined...well Im flying before I have left the ground!!:eek:

Never ever mix temazepan with alcohol!!

This is a very easy way to top yourself, both are strong depressants, they will slow your breathing and heart rate and you can easily black out, go into a coma or even die.

Do NOT do this, its fucking stupid.

Its also a nightmare on your liver and kidneys.
  • Options
    To all of you that are nervous about flying, you might want to check out www.nervouspassenger.co.uk for a slightly different approach - way more relaxing than most
  • Options
    Originally posted by stressedstar
    i feel for you! i am terrified of flying, have only ever flown in a helicopter and one of them light aircraft things, where there's just four seats and that scared me like hell!
    I was in the same position before my trip to Spain. I had only ever flown on AEFs with the Air Cadets. And yes, helicopters (a Gazzelle in my case) are scary! Compared to that my flight to Benidorm in a 757 was like a train trip. I didn't even feel nauseous.

So don't worry. Flying in a big airliner is as scary as sitting on a sofa in your house.
  • Options
    What I dont like is because your crammed in breathing others farts and have the back of the seat infront in your face you dont realise how impressive the whole thing is.

I mean your flying, its amazing!
  • Options
    Yes, and the view from an airliner is crap too. I was in a centre seat, one away from the window and even then the window was tiny and overlooked the wing. Basically I couldn't see out of the plane. When I flew in a helicopter, there was glass from floor to roof with no wings to block the view. Much better. On the other hand you can't hear yourself speak in a chopper. 'Liners are much quieter and more comfortable.
  • Options
    Exactly, choppers are far more noisy, I dont see how people can travel in them for long distances, it would give you a monster head ache I think.

Though when I went over and round the center of London in one it was a fantastic veiw.