Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Will it last?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been with my boyf for 8 months and i love him to bits and he feels the same about me! But he's just moved from Fife(scotland) to London to join the army! We both want to make it work, but i need advice about long distance relationships!DO they work or Do they not???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its up to you. Normally when you are apart you start to look for someone else who is closer. Thats only natural. You should be thankful that hes joining the army because there are no girls. The only question is will you go off him, its not easy to stay interested in your partner when they are far away. The same thing happened to me and my kirsty, she went up north, and letters aren't enough to keep it going. I went elsewhere and she did the same.
    See the posting "Long Distance Relationships" further down the list. It is generally agreed that they don't work, but who knows, maybe you're an exception.
    ive had quite a few lond distance relationships, due to moving and stupid holiday romances.
    the summer i moved down south i met the love of my life, we met through a mate of mine, he was gorgeous and everythin i wanted in a boyf, and he felt the same, movin away was terrible, i was more devestated about leavin him than leavin my dad and his family. a few weeks after movin i went up to stay with him 4 the weekend, it was gr8 and we were inseprable the whole time. but, once i returned home the reality set in 4 both of us, due to distance, 200 miles, and neither of us at that time being able to drive we decided that we'd cause more heartache in the long run if we were to stay 2gether and not b able to c eachother. if i still lived up north i hope to think that we'd still b together, but that wouldnt b the reality, and i know it. we were only 16, and thought we were 'in love', but if we were i think that nothin would have come between us.
    long distance relationships need to b extra strong, with more trust than eva, if ur ment to b together then of course it will last.
    all i can say is down feel dishartened by my heartache! i've never had a relationship 4 longer than 9 wks anyway!
    good luck, if its true love it'll work out.
    if not theres plenty more fish in the sea, not that that seems like any conselation at the time.
    im sure u'll b fine
    c ya love helly
    There's a big British Army base near the place I live and quite often I get to watch the squaddies' behaviour, especially towards girls. Because there are no girls in the army and they get so sex-starved they practically hunt on every female regarding her looks, intelligence etc. Others might as well buy sex too. This is very upsetting because some of them have girfriends at home. Sorry for being pessimistic but I've heard hundreds of stories about wrecked relationships because of the distance (most often a girl wouldn't wait).
    To make it work you need to support your guy as much as you can and remind him of your feelings as often as you can. Send him letters, call him, maybe visit him if you get an opportunity. The good thing is if you decide to be faithful and wait for your man, it will be only up to him, because, as we said, there are no girls in the army :-)

Good luck!
    Thankz every1 who replied! But it doesni matter now he proposed to me and i move down to London to be with him! Im stayin at his parents house till hes out the army!!!!!!!!
    That's brilliant, Kissyboo! Congratulations and the best of luck.

Love GwaiMui.
    good for you!!
    thats all i can say...
    if he's good enough to defend our country then he must be for you...
    (i think thats the most cheesey thing i've ever said!!) hahahah...
    good luck,
    hope u have a wicked wedding,
    c ya love helly
    I don't want to piss on your bonfire, Kissyboo, but make sure you both are getting married for the right reasons.

3 days ago you told us your bf was leaving town to join the army. Now you're agreeing to get married. It all seems a bit quick fix and hasty.

May I suggest you look at this in a pretty cool and dispassionate way and satisfy yourself that your doing the right thing.

Having said all that, may I offer my congratulations and best wishes as well.

Blade
    You might say i've rushed into things but i really thought about it and we both want this to happen! We both know its goin 2 be hard but in the end its goin 2 be worth it!!!!