Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

That allusive thing called job/work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bit of a pour my heart out session first ;)

As I told my old driving instructor to 'get in his car & drive' (guess the song:P) so to speak because he wasn't teaching me how to drive independently instead he was teaching me to drive with his help all the time.

Anyway my mum has been a walk over for a year by being nice & not depriving her youngest son by paying for my driving lessons.

I've never asked for anything in my life & i've waited a whole 17 years to be able to learn how to drive (i know I couldn't have started any earlier). Now driving has been the only thing i've always dreamt about doing from when I was a child you know playing with model cars etc.

But now since i've haven't been driving since my last test back in oct '03. My mum has wised up now but only by me telling her that she is such a walk over & my mates parents would have kicked me out of the house by now or at least forced me to get a job but she hasn't & now she wants me to get my arse into gear & get a job or something before she is going to pay for anymore driving lessons.

By her being uncharacteristically butch so to speak she gets very easily upset because of it we end up never resolving the problem because I'm so strong willed/minded that I could make anyone feel ant like in size so it's understandable that I end up getting my way all the time hence nothing is ever sorted out.

End of the background knowledge just to give you a greater picture on the situation.

What is the best way to getting a job? bearing in mind it doesn't have to be anything permanent just a job with a wage.

The only qualifications i've got are 8 GCSE's A-C & no work experience what so ever well apart from working at a cattery for a week for school work experience.

I've found that job websites & pages in newspapers are rubbish because they don't go as low as GCSE level.

So that leaves me with shops. So which is the best way to see if places have any unskilled work available:

*Going into the place & asking
*Telephoning & asking
*Sending a letter asking with a CV
*Sending an e-mail asking

Any help much appreciated :)

.:Crispy:.

Comments

• Options
    go into recruitment agencies with a CV. they'll give you some simple tests to do like audio typing and spelling and then most likely set you up with some call centre work.
  • Options
    wait till your 21
  • Options
    go down the jobcentre.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    go into recruitment agencies with a CV. they'll give you some simple tests to do like audio typing and spelling and then most likely set you up with some call centre work.

Went along to the agencies in town & they didn't want to know me because i've got no experience. They said I need 2 or more years experience to do the lowest job they have to offer.
    Originally posted by molo
    wait till your 21

I can't wait till 21 because the thing i'm doing lasts 3 years & it isn't paid in anyway. So I have to work till i'm 21 & then I can demand the 20k minimum salary because i'll be fully qualified then :)
  • Options
    Re: That allusive thing called job/work
    Originally posted by Crispy
    'get in his car & drive' (guess the song:P)

deftones?
  • Options
    Re: Re: That allusive thing called job/work
    Originally posted by draven
    deftones?

Nope;)
  • Options
    Right i've decided that night shifts are the way to go to bring in the shreadies quickly as i've got a mate that works 4 nights a week & brings in £300 + a week.

What places are there other than supermarkets that are open 24/7 or at least only open during the night?

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    petrol stations.
  • Options
    factories? they pay youngsters quite well.