Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Positive descrimination in Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure most of you know about the gov trying to make unis take people from less privilaged backgrounds even if they have lower grades. This seems great to some people as they get to go to uni even if they might not get the grades.

The problem arrises when the cource is set at say BBB (A-level) grade standard and X number of people on the cource got say, CCC. So it hasent really helped tham at all as they strugle and strugle and drop out or somethink, i dont know. You must be gettin my point by now.. :cool:

Bopz

Comments

• Options
    I think it's ridiculous that the government are trying to increase the number of people going to uni. If a large number have degrees, then their worth decreases. With people that have got in on lower grades in the same class as people with higher grades, it probably holds the brighter people back, waiting for other people to catch up, and makes the people who are less able feel as if they are struggling more :(
  • Options
    I have been told by someone who works for Bristol Uni and from my college lecturers that students from state schools and Mature students generally do better than students from public schools who entered with better grades.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Maybe more of an appetite to succeed...?

yeh and if you think about it... someone from a state school to get into a uni course has to work really hard but someone at a public school has a lot better quality of teaching so the individual has to put less in... if i make any sense :confused:
  • Options
    Would someone care to explain the difference between public and state school for me again?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    As for mature students, maybe BlackArab would have a better viewpoint, but I've always thought that mature students would put more work in because they're (as the name would suggest) more mature and have probably (especially for full time mature students) changed their life very significantly.
    Too significantly to not to work their hardest.

:yes:

all the mature students i've known have been a lot more motivated than the younger students. i've always thought that it was because they have sacrificed a lot more to be there, and they are more acutely aware of either the disadvantages of not having a degree, or the benefits of having one.

i also suspect they feel they have to prove something to the youngsters. especially very mature students. there's a guy on our course in his sixties, who is doing the degree purely for personal fulfilment, and he always talks about needing to show up that he's not past it :)
  • Options
    Makes no sense you call them public. Though I have been explained this before and said the same thing back then :yes:
  • Options
    Your all right re: mature students

From a mature students point of view, I can say that most of us have put our partying days behind and know what we are going to lose if we mess up, plus after years of working its a huge sacrifice to return to full time education i.e I am on 1/3 of my previous income right now, so while the 18/19 year olds are enjoying there new freedom we are the boring ones actually working :angel:
  • Options
    Thank you. Almost finished packing. Having my dinner in three minutes :D

You know my newest plan is that I'll return next saturday, and travel to Berlin and come back sunday night. Then like a week later travel to Barcelona for the weekend. Then a break of a week and a half and off to Israel.
    My mom is laughing at me when I mention it. But I am so ready to do that.

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread. Just that Aspartame is never on MSN anymore.
  • Options
    Jacqs, have a good one
  • Options
    Thank you.
    I definitely will.

Visa card + my dad loaded me with dollars so I'd always have it on me should anything happen. Neglecting to tell him that a lot will happen, like a lot of shoes will pass my way :D
  • Options
    Have a good time, Tal :)
  • Options
    Aww, thanks (I love the way ou used my name :heart: )

I don't know if I should tell you this but I met Funeral For a Friend (well the drummer and basist, and passed the rest of the guys by) the other day, and they were really really nice. Got hold of a plector during their set, but I gave it away to someone as he was so eager to have it, and since I don't know the band I couldn't keep it.
    Then Kieran told me that they're your fave band. If I'd known I'd have sent it to you. Sorry.

And sorry to the thread-starter. Oops.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Aww, thanks (I love the way ou used my name :heart: )

I don't know if I should tell you this but I met Funeral For a Friend (well the drummer and basist, and passed the rest of the guys by) the other day, and they were really really nice. Got hold of a plector during their set, but I gave it away to someone as he was so eager to have it, and since I don't know the band I couldn't keep it.
    Then Kieran told me that they're your fave band. If I'd known I'd have sent it to you. Sorry.

Kieran told me, and i wanted to kill you :( But good on you, they seem like nice guys, i've only met Matt for a few brief seconds.

Did you enjoy them?

Yes, thread starter, sorry :(
  • Options
    They were great. Really.
    Very laid back, and enjoyed what they were doing on stage no doubt. The lead would converse with teh audience, reply to what was screamed up at him, laugh and giggle. Made me smile. Seemed like warm people.
    Even dedicated one of their songs to my friend's (ex) boyfriend as he'd come from England. So sweet.

I'd definitely see them again, if the chance should come along. If not for the music (which is good) then for the atmosphere.

But basically as I only knew them by name beforehand we mostly talked about Magritte when I spotted their album cover. Was telling the drummer about my favourite Magritte picture and he told me how they'd used "The Lovers" in their cd and single covers and in their video. Silly stuff really. Down to earth.
  • Options
    Good, it's always nice to hear good things said about them. I just want to see them again so badly :(
  • Options
    Well, first of all people from worse schools who get CCC would be better than people from Eton who get BBB. They are showing that they can get good grades in difficult circumstances.

The government is encouraging too many people to go to university :(

Theres a funding gap between the amount of money the universities need and the amount of money the government gives. Hence the new top up fees.

A solution to this would be to try and encourage people to go into skilled manual jobs (wheres theres a shortage) but TB is insistant on 50% country going to uni :( Its only going to be a few years before top up fees are increased.
  • Options
    bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nerver mind!

Bopz
  • Options
    I fell out of my secoundary school when 25% of the sstudents where gettin 5 x A* - C. There is no way that 50% of them would pass 3 A-levels let alone complete a degree...... Yet they may get accepted for the cource and then drop out, cos thats ok?

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I have been told by someone who works for Bristol Uni and from my college lecturers that students from state schools and Mature students generally do better than students from public schools who entered with better grades.

I have a friend who went to a public school and she said that because there were less people, the kids got more attention and even went as far as to say that the teachers did a lot of their class work and coursework for them.

Maybe a combination of the self-fulfilling prophecy where the child is encouraged more and a better education gives the kid better chances at getting good A levels, yet the harsh reality of the real world and less help at uni hits them hard because they're no longer privilidged?
  • Options
    Exam results are not the only marker of ability, and that should always be remembered- exam results form one part of it, but not an exclusive part of it. A person with CCC from the worst school may well be as able as one with AAAA from the best, but opportunity gets in the way.

Exam requirements shouldn't be ignored, but if two identical candidates are going for it, the wone from the state sector should get the place because they will have had to work harder for the achievement.

50% of all people going to university is ridiculous though, regardless of whether that is for a degree course or a HND course. It is my opinion that HNDs are like GNVQs- alright to have, but nothing that work-based training such as through Modern Apprenticeships cannot provide. University should remain for the academic elite, elitism is not a dirty notion it is a necessary notion. It's all well and good trying to do away with elitism, but if people are coming to university not understanding basic words then it stunts everyone else's education.

Anyone who is good enough deserves a place, but I don't think half of the population of thsi country are able enough. It is desirable that as many as possible can go to university, but there has to be certain levels of standards, otherwise the qualifications become meaningless, as has happened with A'Levels.
  • Options
    All private institutions should be FREE to discriminate!!!

If they don't want certain people to attend then so be it!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    All private institutions should be FREE to discriminate!!!

If they don't want certain people to attend then so be it!!

Back up? Evidence?
  • Options
  • Options
    universities in this country are not private, therefore the argument is irrelevant.

My slightly differant view, not sure about for other places. But Cardiff Uni seems to have a lot of "clout" with the Council, they sometimes seem to get away with anything they want. They aquire random buildings at a fraction of the cost, they build new buildings and they got the planning permission slightly wrong but i bet it will be sorted within a few weeks tops. They have managed to convice the council to let them put up camaras on the main road from town to campus even though it dosent overlook the uni and loads of little stuff like that.

Bopz
  • Options
    I don't think unis should lower their standards one bit just to get more minorities in. I got into Uni on mostly Cs and struggled through, resitting most of my exams and barely scraping an honours degree. If unis lower their standards, they are just going to have many more dropouts and that won't help anyone.

BTW, I'm guessing "public schools" are called that because they are open to anyone who has the money. And they were around long before state schooling became established.