Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NEW self harm section

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Self harm factsheets - What is it? Harm reduction, first aid, distractions, stopping, friends and family and mucho galore.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out

Susie

:)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: NEW self harm section
    Originally posted by Susie
    case study

Self harm factsheets - What is it? Harm reduction, first aid, distractions, stopping, friends and family and mucho galore.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out

Susie

:)

its really good. well done susie :)
  • Options
    I have only just found this...good read.:)
  • Options
    You quoted me :hyper:
  • Options
    I did indeed froggy :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    I did indeed froggy :)

I'm dead observant I am! :hyper:
  • Options
  • Options
    It's good that the goverment are starting to do more for us teens:)

But I don't no matter what they do it won't beat the help and support thesite gives.. goverment places can't be as friendly..

T-shirt please

jokin:) I mean it..

and you done it again mod's... great case study..:) you never cease to amaze me:) [in a good way]
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Observer
    Studies suggest most youngsters who hurt themselves are not suicidal, but 'trying to cope' by drawing attention to their unhappiness.

Which, in one sentence, proves just how little they DO understand self-harming. When I've been dealing with mental health experst you can tell that they don't always fully understand what it is that makes someone do it; sentiments like this are greatly counter-productive. It's a form of coping, but for many it's the exact opposite of drawing attention- it's trrying to make the pain go away again. Certainly with the dangerous ones.

I happen to agree with Hellfire, despite his obvious arse-licking. Peer support, anonymously, probably is one of the best ways of getting help- it certainly gave me the confidence to get more professional help. Depression is a very isolating illness, so anything that makes people know that they aren't alone and aren't a freak can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    I had issues with that sentence too
  • Options
    Quote, Originally posted by Observer.
    "Studies suggest most youngsters who hurt themselves are not suicidal, but 'trying to cope' by drawing attention to their unhappiness."

Interesting though. I'm curious as to what these 'studies' are, which suggest the above.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Interesting though. I'm curious as to what these 'studies' are, which suggest the above.

To be honest, I think it more suggests a lack of understanding of the results. People do it to cope, but I don't think most people intend for people to notice.

It does make one wonder though...
  • Options
    I couldn't read it. I started shaking. Im still shaking!
  • Options
    on hollyoaks on channel 4 a charater lisa has got a story line where she has been battling with self harm and the consequences and all that.

i know about self harm cos i used to do it to cut out the bullying and take the pain of bullying away but it wasn't to get attention. i used to scratch my wrists and the area of the arm where you get blood from cos i got a vien very close to the skin there and i cut into itonce and nearly ended up in hospital but my older cousin find me cos i had fainted from the cut and sorted me out he never told my parents and it still is a secret between him and me.

now i'm on top of things and i have no scars from the ordeal and trust me it doesn't work cos i endede up in deep depression becuase of the self harm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by collegevamp
    on hollyoaks on channel 4 a charater lisa has got a story line where she has been battling with self harm and the consequences and all that.

Yeah. And Phil Redmond has dealt with it very badly, because it isn't realistic. But as Redmond is a moron I can't say I'm surprised.

Channel Four's As If dealt with it much better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yeah. And Phil Redmond has dealt with it very badly, because it isn't realistic. But as Redmond is a moron I can't say I'm surprised.

Channel Four's As If dealt with it much better.
    Not commenting on whether it's realistic or not as I don't watch Hollyoaks or As If...

But I think it is good that Self Harm is being shown on TV shows (if done well) as it makes people far more aware of this "tabboo" subject that effects so many of us.

People do really learn a lot about health issues from watching trashes tv programmes that we wouldn't consider educational or doctumentry programmes. Apparently when Peggy in Eastenders had breast cancer it gave a lot of women the courage to go to their doctors about that lump they'd had for months but were too shy to ask about. And it made women more aware and more women now examine their breats regularly as a result.
  • Options
    Anything that raises awareness can only be a good thing...

BUT

If it trivialises or denegrates something, like Hollyoaks did with SI, then that is a bad thing. It re-affirms the general perception that SIers are attention-seekers, something that the Observer article also did. That is dangerous as it means SIers won#'t get the help and the support that they need.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Anything that raises awareness can only be a good thing...

BUT

If it trivialises or denegrates something, like Hollyoaks did with SI, then that is a bad thing. It re-affirms the general perception that SIers are attention-seekers, something that the Observer article also did. That is dangerous as it means SIers won#'t get the help and the support that they need.
    I agree. Although only saw a couple of the episodes of Hollyoaks so I didn't realise that they got it so wrong. I don't have a telly and hardly ever watch tv.

I actually felt rather uncomfortable sat with my family watching Lisa cut herself and my sister and Mum thought she must be a freak or whatever (although I don't think they actually said it) and they thought she was really "weird" and I was sat there watching their reactions to Self-Harm but neither of them know that I self harm.
  • Options
    like i said i used to do it and it is about coping and releasing your self from the pain of the depression and cuases around you
  • Options
    I almost agree with you Groovaybaby

BUT

People will get the ideas anyway. It's wishful thinking to think that if SI isn't in the media then people won't do it, so the "negative" is irrelevant. It being in the media means that people see it, my only worry is that they see it as attention-seeking and freakish rather than a symptom of pain.

I only saw the Hollyoaks episode because my sister, who knwos I used to SI, wanted an opinion on it.
  • Options
    there are different ways to self harm on hollyoaks they showed the extreme way using sharp objects like scissors and knifes. i know people who heat up metal objects and burn their skin with them and it is really horrifying.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    drinking alcohol in excessive amounts.

That doesn't really count as SH, drug addiction is behaviour in its own right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Is it not. Well It's included as part of SH in alot of SH handsheet things and how can it not be? If someone's drinking to harm themselves if they are depressed?
    But surely most people drink to "escape" the depression rather than because they are deliberately hoping to cause physical damage to themselves? I guess if they drank purely to make themselves ill then maybe but I'm not really sure.
  • Options
    I think quite often that excessive drinking and drug-taking comes under a similar category to SH, but it often isn't regarded as the same. I know that in the diagnosis for BPD excessive drinking is separate to SH.
  • Options
    i think want groovaybaby is trying to get across is that drinking over excess is self harm becuase of the volume of alcohol you are drinking is burning and destroying your insides whereas noticeable sh is seen as cuts or burns etc.
  • Options
    I dont think drinking in large amounts is the same as SI, infact im sure of it....

Ive done.. well do... both to cope, tho im tryin to stop now...

anyways yeh, when i start drinking when im depressed, i do it because drinking 1. leaves you in a state where you are easily distracted (from ur problems)... 2. Helps me sleep.... 3. hmm.. dunno how to explain it... i mean a lot of people have a stiff drink when they go through stress... it just loosens you up a bit... and your drunken mind works differently, so even though your problems are bad... its not soo depressing... err hard to explain number 3...

SI is totally different... it is a concious descision to hurt yourself for whatever reason that may be... i myself find it as a distraction from everything... i think about how bad it hurts instead of my other issues.... others do it for different reasons you all know from reading up on it... but yeh, when you drink you are not injuring yourself there and then... i mean sure in a few years your liver will be screwed, and sum brain cells might be lost... but its not the same.
  • Options
    People do not start cutting for attention. I used to cut, and I did it because it was a coping mechanism. It became an addiction, however, and I didn't know how to get help for it. So, I did end up cutting in public and stuff just hoping someone would run up and help me. Turns out I had to be the one to save myself. So you see, people do not cut for attention. It is a possibility they are doing it as a cry for help, but not to get someone to pay attention to them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    In need of advice

My boyfriend is a self-cutter who thought he had overcome this problem before we met 14 months ago but has recently started cutting again. A recent incident landed him in the emergency room and in the psychiatric hospital overnight. All of this was the culmination of a very tumultuous month for us. We have both very hesitantly decided to spend time apart for sanity's sake. I know this is the right thing to do, but I am left with a maelstrom of feelings from this whole situation as I have never encountered anything like this. Will someone please give me some advice on how I can move on from this experience and overcome the mental anguish it has caused me? What about my boyfriend? I can't decide if he's using this "time apart" thing as a test to see how much I care. He's very manipulative. I don't want to leave him when he's so down, but I can't stay in his life if he doesn't want me there right now. If this emotional whirlwind sounds familiar to you, please share your story. Thanks.
  • Options
    You'd have been better posting in the other sticky, more people read it.

Do you know what is up with him, beyond the fact that he self-hars,ms and is unhappy? I have been semi-disagnosed with a Borderline Personality, and people with BPD sometimes are prone to manipulatiave beahviour and a tendency to either completely love someone or think that they are completely hated by that person.

If you look at some of the factsheets on the MIND website you might be able to recognise osme of the symptoms he has and try to understand how to deal with them.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i used to self harm cause i was sexually abused and raped by ma step dad but im over that and now a better and brighter person cause of it