Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going to the dentist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've always had a bit of a thing about going ot the dentist, and I've got some work that I think maybe needs doing on my back teeth.

Just out of interest, do you think if I did need a filling or whatever else, could I ask that I be sedated? Or is that only usually available if necessary (in the dentists view of course)?

Ta.

Comments

• Options
    yup, you can ask for sedation, but you won't get it on the NHS, so you'll have to pay for the sedation privately.

i have gas and air, and it costs about £25 a time.
  • Options
    Re: Going to the dentist
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Ok, I've always had a bit of a thing about going ot the dentist, and I've got some work that I think maybe needs doing on my back teeth.

Just out of interest, do you think if I did need a filling or whatever else, could I ask that I be sedated? Or is that only usually available if necessary (in the dentists view of course)?

Ta.

well im terrified of the dentist and i had to get teeth out not too long ago. on the day the dentist told me when i was crying and shaking, that he could have referred me to the dental hospital in glasgow for sedation and it wouldnt have cost me a penny. i thought tell me now mate. i didnt bother, i was there and numbed up. ask your dentist!
  • Options
    Some dentists do it. :yes: I have it everytime I have work done. And its free. But thats because I'm under 18.
  • Options
    It depends how much work you need done whether you get it on the NHS or not. If it'll cut down the number of sessions you need there, they'll do it for you, otherwise they won't.

I think that's how it works - that's how it worked for me, but i'm 18 and in full time education still, so it's free anyway :)
  • Options
    Generally dentists dont really like sedating people unless really neccesary.
    Maybe if you let the dentist know how worried you are then they will talk you through things first.
    Good luck!:)