Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Something for those who think prison is too easy

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If prison works, why does the prison population keep going up? Why do we have the largest prison population in Europe?
  • Options
    Precisely! :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    dung.gifSo what about the "human rights" of their victims? I think burglars and violent criminals should be given hard labour instead of TVs and Playstations.

I can smoke a reefer in my home and get arrested!

I would have violated NO ONE's human rights!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber

Actually cannabis has been downgraded so you can smoke it in your house. :p
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So a constant offender doesent feel good about themselves, they think they will never get a job, they cant learn mathematics, they cant keep a girlfriend so whats the point in keeping on the straight and narrow cos you will only lose it anyway.
    So if in prison they start to show them they are worthy, they can do stuff and praise the good behaviour and reward them then maybe it could get these prisoners to beleive in themselves.

What you reckon ?

I reckon you are on to something Becky! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    In favour of the Death Penalty then?

No!!:cool:
  • Options

No matter what crime a person has committed, you can never justify treating them inhumanely. It's a breach of their human rights.

Oh boo fugging hoo, what happened to the human rights of the woman who's house was burgled, or the human rights of the 12 year old boy who was robbed?

That's the trouble with society today, criminals are treated like victims. They are victims, victims of their own inability to work, their own inability to live an honest life.
    Prison should be a hell hole, every day the prisoner is there he should be made to think about why he is there in the first place. He should be made to pray that he never needs to go there again.

Did you know there are over 35 societies and support groups for criminals, but only ONE for the victims.
    Criminals should be treated like criminals.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    that's true of most of armley, not just the prison.

Thats true!

You ever been 'in' Armley rolly ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT

You ever been 'in' Armley rolly ?
    yes and what a hell hole! filth ...ants by the millions ...mice ...the worst food imaginable.
    ...and whowhere there is a huge difference between people who break the law and people who are criminals.
    at the moment there is a possibility of a lot of protesting pensioners going to jail for refusing to pay tax ...you and your very simple views would have them treated like filth. in the seventies around a third of the population of strangeways consisted of pensioners who hadn't paid there rates. they had fought wars for us but suddenly it was a crime to be poor.
    very few of the people in jail today are crooks ...any kind of threat to society. these people would not be locked up on the continent but thanks to idiotic small minded people with views similar to yours are jails are ALWAYS at bursting point ...they don't have this problem on the continent.
    people like you actualy frighten me. you are patroling our streets with ignorance and bigotry. the people who give people like you such a responsibility should be locked up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Oh boo fugging hoo, what happened to the human rights of the woman who's house was burgled, or the human rights of the 12 year old boy who was robbed?

That's the trouble with society today, criminals are treated like victims. They are victims, victims of their own inability to work, their own inability to live an honest life.
    Prison should be a hell hole, every day the prisoner is there he should be made to think about why he is there in the first place. He should be made to pray that he never needs to go there again.

Did you know there are over 35 societies and support groups for criminals, but only ONE for the victims.

I really can't be arsed. We've been through all this before, its like banging my head against a brick wall.

Lets just lock the whole population up. Problem solved.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the people who give people like you such a responsibility should be locked up.

That aimed at me specifically?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    That aimed at me specifically?
    no mate ...whowhere.
  • Options
    yes and what a hell hole! filth ...ants by the millions ...mice ...the worst food imaginable.
    ...and whowhere there is a huge difference between people who break the law and people who are criminals.
    at the moment there is a possibility of a lot of protesting pensioners going to jail for refusing to pay tax ...you and your very simple views would have them treated like filth. in the seventies around a third of the population of strangeways consisted of pensioners who hadn't paid there rates. they had fought wars for us but suddenly it was a crime to be poor.
    very few of the people in jail today are crooks ...any kind of threat to society. these people would not be locked up on the continent but thanks to idiotic small minded people with views similar to yours are jails are ALWAYS at bursting point ...they don't have this problem on the continent.
    people like you actualy frighten me. you are patroling our streets with ignorance and bigotry. the people who give people like you such a responsibility should be locked up.

It was a response to the other guy's post, whining about the human rights of people who have denied others those very same rights they claim they need so badly.
    I have no quarrel with the people like those you mention, I'm talking about the yobs, the real criminals. I think it's wrong that tax goes up higher than inflation, it sucks and the sooner Mr Blair realises he isn't going to win another election the better.
    I'm talking about the scum, not the people with principles.
  • Options
    Everyone should be accorded the same basic human rights. Otherwise where does it stop? Thats a nasty road to go down...
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber

Unless you're dealing, you won't get sent to jail.

Slightly off topic here, but I don't blame drug users for their problems, I blame the dealers and pushers. They are the ones who should be punished!
  • Options

Slightly off topic here, but I don't blame drug users for their problems, I blame the dealers and pushers. They are the ones who should be punished!
    trouble is captain theres a huge grey area here. every ...and i mean every user is guilty of supply. in thirty six years of drug use i have never met a pusher.
    most deals are done through friends. peer to peer sharing. one guy will have found a good reliable source at the right price ...that source doesn't want yet another twenty people on his hands so will deal with one guy who is buying for his mates ...that one guy supplies his twenty mates and makes no money ...just covers the cost of his own consumption. so most dealers are just everyday guys with a carear or uni ...but techniacaly and legaly he's a dealer.
    i know a top aneasthetist and a surgeon ...the aneathsetist sells weed ...the surgeon sells coke ...these people brake the law but are not oin my book criminals. drugs should be controlled.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    I reckon you are on to something Becky! ;)

It just proves, your never too old to be educated. These lot have changed my view on many things.

so if anyone wants to change my mind on topics then go ahead and try, but please remember debate with me and we might get somewhere, bawl and shout at me and theres no chance :D
  • Options

But IT SHOULDN'T be illegal!!:cool:
  • Options
    It was a response to the other guy's post, whining about the human rights of people who have denied others those very same rights they claim they need so badly.
    I have no quarrel with the people like those you mention, I'm talking about the yobs, the real criminals. I think it's wrong that tax goes up higher than inflation, it sucks and the sooner Mr Blair realises he isn't going to win another election the better.
    I'm talking about the scum, not the people with principles.

Who the hell was whining? :confused:

If you think that criminals should be kept in those appalling conditions then in my opinion it makes you no better than them.
    Yes, they've commited crimes, and going to prison is their punishment. They shouldn't have to share those cells with rats, ants and mould though.
  • Options
    Who the hell was whining? :confused:

If you think that criminals should be kept in those appalling conditions then in my opinion it makes you no better than them.
    Yes, they've commited crimes, and going to prison is their punishment. They shouldn't have to share those cells with rats, ants and mould though.
    don't the yanks invade countries who treat people like that?
  • Options
    don't the yanks invade countries who treat people like that?

They're probably invaded countries for less!
  • Options

So then what? Shall we just put them on a ship and leave them to it? Hell, we might as well kill them- like the Nazis did. After all the crime is irrelevant, it's the criminality that's the problem.

It scares the living fuck out of me that you are in the police force, it really does. Mind, you'd probably be right at home there :yeees:
  • Options
    It doesn't matter WHAT a person has done, that person is entitled to live free from fear of being beaten, from being raped. The argument about "the victim's rights" is pointless, and I am sick of hearing it. The victim hasn't lost any rights by being a victim, someone violated those rights.

Ever heard that two wrongs don't make a right?

*despairs*

Oh, and sole liber, the victimn is entitled to reparations- every crime against a person has an equivalent in the civil law. If someone beats me up I can sue them for it, though in nearly all cases I am more likely to get more from the CICB than from the criminal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    so if anyone wants to change my mind on topics then go ahead and try, but please remember debate with me and we might get somewhere, bawl and shout at me and theres no chance :D

I dunno, I've shouted at you and it seems to have worked ;)
  • Options
    my heart bleeds for those poor poor prisoners :rolleyes: i dont mean that in relation to being beaten or raped etc
  • Options
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What do you mean?

in relation to thier lack of five star accommodation!
  • Options
    Who said they should have 5 star accomodation? :confused:
  • Options
    sarcasm!
  • Options
    WW ...there are more support groups for the perpetrators than the victims cos a lot of people are working hard at trying to changethe criminal.