Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being sick

When i went to hospital when i was about 8 cos i'd taken a OD on the banana flavour meds me and my sis were on, they gave me this stuff to drink that made me puke it all back up.
I was wondering if i could buy that stuff in like a chemist cos ive been feeling so sick over the past couple of days, i think it was cos i keep cooking, and all i want to is puke up the badness and feel better.
Before you think it, i wouldnt be so stupid to abuse it and try and use it to loose wieght, i just wanna feel better. i rang the nhs thingy and they sed stick your fingers dwn ur throught....that didnt work all i got was a load of phlem.

Do you know what this stuff is called?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's called ipecac, but it won't make you feel better. it'll just make you feel very ill for a few days, and every time you eat or drink it'll be like reacitvating it, and you'll be ill again.

it's only used in specific poisoning cases, and if you use it just because you feel sick, it'll make you very poorly.

and i know you said you wouldn't use it to lose weight, but you wouldn't just be losing weight, because it makes you so violently ill, you'd probably be losing half your esophagus too.

to ease sickness, take a trip to the chemist, and try pepto-bismal, motilium or entrocalm.
  • Options
    Ah right, thank you. i wont be getting it then. thanks for the reply.
    Is it weird that i only seem to feel sick at about 5/6pm? and i feel like i need to sleep or lie dwn cos if i dnt i'll pass out?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Is it weird that i only seem to feel sick at about 5/6pm? and i feel like i need to sleep or lie dwn cos if i dnt i'll pass out?

are you sure it's because of something you ate?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    Can you actually buy Ipecac syrup in the chemists here? I heard that you can only get it from the doctors or hospital?

could be true. it can be dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands.

you can get it over the counter in america, but i don't know about here.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Being sick
    i rang the nhs thingy and they sed stick your fingers dwn ur throught....

NHS, very professional as always. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yup, just googled it quickly and it seems only to be for hospital use.

just as well.

they do use it over here as an ingredient in cough medicine (only tiny amounts) and i saw it on the label and refused to take the cough stuff.... :/
  • Options
    No, you cannot buy ipecac OTC in the uk and I would hope America will get some sense and refrain from doing so also.

Are you sure it was ipecac they gave you, not activated charcoal? I've never heard of uk doctors using ipecac.

Hrm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    Are you sure it was ipecac they gave you, not activated charcoal? I've never heard of uk doctors using ipecac.

i've heard of emetophobes being given it as exposure therapy.

*shudders at the thought*

from the google results i was getting, it seems like they only use it in specific poisoning cases.
  • Options
    Re: Being sick
    i rang the nhs thingy and they sed stick your fingers dwn ur throught

did they? :eek2: how professional :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Being sick
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    did they? :eek2: how professional :rolleyes:
    nhs - promoting bulimia since 2004
  • Options
    my friend has this stuff she calls "andrews" :confused: for me its always fingers. i mean if u need to be sick u need to be sick.
  • Options
    i have no idea, shes mentioned it a few times. apparently if u need to be sick it makes u:confused:
  • Options
    andrews salts, i believe, is a stomach settler similar to alka seltzer. it definitely makes you burp, but it's not supposed to make you sick.

but to be honest, unless you're severely emetophobic (like moi) if your body needs to be sick, it'll be sick. forcing it is never a good idea. you can cause a lot more harm than good.