Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you go to mass?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Some people choose to believe there are many gods as well.

I choose to beleive god is what we make it. :yes:
  • Options
    well, im atheist but i used to go to a methodist church when i was a brownie. basically i didn't believe what was being said and after reading bits of the bible i thought it was rather contradictory of itself.
    however i don't think that my disbelief in god should effect anyone elses, in the same way as i dont like the guy that stands outside gig preaching through his megaphone, i'm not going to stand up and say i think its all crap. in my opinion people can believe in what/whoever they want, they should just leave me to not believing.
    if any of that makes sense i'll be amazed)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    thats what the bible says ...but it goes on to say there is only one true god. it also says that the god of this world is satan ...
  • Options
    MR, I was merely pointing out another oversight in Shogun's claim. Fair to say I am aware of biblical teaching on the matter, but thanks for the refresher. ;)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Do you go to mass?
    Originally posted by J
    - God is everywhere right, which means he's next to me now. *waves*
    thats who nicked the spliff i left in the ashtray!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Do you go to mass?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    thats who nicked the spliff i left in the ashtray!

No, it was me :( I am still skunk-less :crying:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Well I'm Protestant for a start...

but there's a Catholic church in town that I always walk past and notice everyone coming in and out. Looks pretty cool but I'd be scared to go in.

i know in northern ireland u'd be likely to get a beating if you went to the other sides church (in certain areas) but i always wondered what it wud be like in a protestant church?

back to subject, the whole idea of mass is a shambles, half the people who go only want to be seen and look like they're good decent people wen really they're just sitting waiting to get out, i haven't been to mass in 3 years but i'm still a Catholic and pray to God, who says u need to go to mass n e way
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    What do you propose you do then, have no churches at all, no priests? Just your own private ceremony to God in your home.

What's wrong with that? Why must worship be institutionalised? I work at home alone and not in a group.

:yes:

Polytheism, though they tend to believe less in divine intervention and more in personal interaction and nature, speaking in general of paganism.
    The way I see it is that God knows everything anyway, so why pester him?

Here's a question... why is God seen as a 'he'? When it takes a male and a female to create.
    thats what the bible says ...but it goes on to say there is only one true god. it also says that the god of this world is satan ...

Yup, that's what the Bible says. To be honest whilst I respect all religions the Bible is about as relevent to me as the Mabinogion or Homer's Odyssey. Simply a collection of myths and poetry... yet parts of it are beautiful none the less.
    back to subject, the whole idea of mass is a shambles, half the people who go only want to be seen and look like they're good decent people wen really they're just sitting waiting to get out, i haven't been to mass in 3 years but i'm still a Catholic and pray to God, who says u need to go to mass n e way

As a part of a sociology project I interviewed female clergy about feminism and the church and church attendance was touched upon. For example the reasons why women are more frequent church goers than men (statistically speaking). But along the same lines of social pressure and church attendance, maybe a change in society and less pressure to worship is a contributing factor to the trend in declining attendance.
  • Options
    God...created all.

Not correct. The Devil has had a hand in some creations...
    Yes the Vatican are rich, very.

What, and you think that this is an accident?

This happened because priests instilled fear into the masses - if you don't give money then you are going to hell, sort of thing. They used people's faith to fleece them.

If I choose to give money I will, but christianity isn't about giving money, it's about helping the less fortunate. If you think that money is the only way to achieve this then you really don't understand what "help" actually means at all.
    What do you propose you do then, have no churches at all, no priests? Just your own private ceremony to God in your home.

What is wrong with that?

Why do I need a priest to tell me what I believe, why do I need his/her interpretation of my faith?

Why do I need a [gay] priest to tell me that homosexuality is wrong? When I don't actually believe that Christianity teaches that at all...
  • Options
    Never been to chruch in my entire life apart from my bro's wedding and my sister's christening. I'm kind of an agnostic tbh. If there is a God then why does he let young kids get raped and murded or let babies die at birth, etc, etc?
  • Options
    I don't know who or what God is, what is your view of God blagsta, man of kent?

People go to mass to respect God and pray, I accept that you can do this in your own house as well on your own but alot of people like to be in a church with a priest praying...praying to God.

What, and you think that this is an accident?

No of course not, the church need money to survive as well you know but in saying that they do have alot of money.

What's wrong with that? Why must worship be institutionalised?

People like to pray in a Church, God is special so they go somewhere else other than their own home.
    At anytime during the day people can freely walk into a church and pray, it dosen't cost them money.

Why do I need a priest to tell me what I believe, why do I need his/her interpretation of my faith?

You don't and never did.

A priest dosen't force their views onto people, it's a person own choice what to believe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i know in northern ireland u'd be likely to get a beating if you went to the other sides church (in certain areas) but i always wondered what it wud be like in a protestant church?

Don;t get me wrong, I wasn't havin a dig at Catholics, I know it'd be the same if the situation was reversed. I just think it's a sorry state of affairs.
  • Options
  • Options
    People like to pray in a Church, God is special so they go somewhere else other than their own home.
    At anytime during the day people can freely walk into a church and pray, it dosen't cost them money.

Debatable. I'm an ex Christian and at a time I did enjoy mass. Churches hold a sense of community and support and in my opinion, the sound of chanting is beautiful.

However, there came a time before I dropped my faith in Christ where I would pray at home because I preferred to do so. It felt less superficial that way, at least to me. Not to mention that my beliefs had been morphing to paganism for a while and at the time I was in to slightly other methods of worship and spirituality.

Not correct. The Devil has had a hand in some creations...

I'll disagree. According to ancient texts the 'devil' was a fallen angel called Lucifer.
    If I choose to give money I will, but christianity isn't about giving money, it's about helping the less fortunate. If you think that money is the only way to achieve this then you really don't understand what "help" actually means at all.

But then there are a lot of Christian organisations that do help people, one hell of a lot.
    Why do I need a [gay] priest to tell me that homosexuality is wrong? When I don't actually believe that Christianity teaches that at all...

Again I'll disagree. Firstly, I don't think that gay preist was ordained was he? It was in the news a while back that he thought it would tear the church apart.

Actually I've spoken to quite a few female clergy who have said that the Bible's views on sexuality are dated, but that they still find Christianity extremely liberating. Look at Jesus for example, he went against a lot of the old testament, in effect (or in my opinion at least) Jesus didn't appear to hold a lot of prejudices that appear in some parts of the Bible. Jesus was cool.

Maybe people are using religion to legitimise personal fear and prejudice?
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Not anymore, I used to have to go every week when I was a child, and I grew to resent it.

Ditto :yes:

I still keep meaning to go though, but never get round to it...*ho hum*

I do believe though, I pray every night and if I fall asleep without praying I say them in the morning to make up for it, but I seem to have trouble falling asleep if I haven't said my prayers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    because man has free choice.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I hate these people who turn round and say "oh God did this, God did that, no God didn't do that, YOU did it".

Well moonrat if you want to sit and home and pray to God then it's your choice, i'm saying that some people like to go to mass, they feel a sense of purpose praying to God in the Chapel.
  • Options
    Well moonrat if you want to sit and home and pray to God then it's your choice, i'm saying that some people like to go to mass, they feel a sense of purpose praying to God in the Chapel.

Yup, they do. It's what works for the individual really (however I'm not a Christian, but I do worship other deities)... it's just a pity some people don't accept others for what religious texts they follow, or how they pray.
  • Options
  • Options
    But then there are a lot of Christian organisations that do help people, one hell of a lot.

Agree, but not because they are part of “The Church”, more because they are Christians. There are plenty of people who attend the church who don’t help others in such a way…

Point I am trying to make is that giving money to a church is not “helping” people. Its giving more money to an immensely rich organisation.

One only has to look at the evangelists in the US to see how faith is used to fleece people…
    Again I'll disagree. Firstly, I don't think that gay preist was ordained was he? It was in the news a while back that he thought it would tear the church apart.

Different strands, you are talking about the Bishop whilst I am talking about priest in general. There are gay priests, there is a movement to suggest that homosexuality goes against the Bible and the priests will be sending that message, some of them hypocritically.

That said, the Bishops stance is a prime example of why the Church holds little for me. Why should it tear the Church apart?
    Actually I've spoken to quite a few female clergy who have said that the Bible's views on sexuality are dated, but that they still find Christianity extremely liberating.

Which again supports my stance. The Bible isn’t the be all and end all, man has evolved since it way written and the Church should reflect that, unless we are to believe that we should follow only what is written. In which case I am going straight to hell because there are many teaching (notably about the Sabbath) which I don’t follow…
    Maybe people are using religion to legitimise personal fear and prejudice?

Agreed, Christian fundamentalism is just as offensive as Islamic/Jewish fundamentalism.

Faith is a personal thing IMHO and should remain so. Personally I don’t see the need for a Church because they can never represent my faith as I see it, only their interpretation of the good book. All they can do is give their slant and I’m afraid to say that it is often at odds with mine.
  • Options
    I don't know who or what God is, what is your view of God blagsta

Depends on what day of the week it is.
  • Options
    What lines of text do you follow moonrat?

Well say it's Monday blagsta or how about Friday?
  • Options
    It was not meant literally.

Sometimes I don't believe in anything at all, sometimes I think that maybe, just maybe there is something beyond the physical, something like the sum total of all our consiousnesses or something. Vaguely Buddhist and vaguely Pagan I suppose.
    But its a personal thing and is subject to change. One thing I won't do is live my life by a book that was written 2000 years ago. That strikes me as daft.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    My sister pays tithings and it really pisses me off. She has absolutely no money ( she's a NURSE!), can't afford to live properly, and yet gives 10% to her born-again Christian thing.

Surely God wouldn't want to you suffer?

And why do you believe in missions? Imposing your beliefs on others is an awful thing to do.

where did i say i believed in missions? you just assumed i do. as it happens, yes i do, although i have never taken part in one, its something that my church are actively involved in, because it says in the Word that God wants the Gospel preached to all the nations. as i said in my post, its my belief and my opinion and im not trying to impose my beliefs on anyone. mission trips do not impose beliefs on anyone.
    and why should your sisters tithing annoy you? if thats what she believes in doing then thats her business. power to her that she cant afford to live and yet still tithes. tithing is an act of obedience and the fact that she still does it despite not being able to afford it shows that she is commited to her beliefs and is willing to obey God even when it seems hard, and God will honour that and bless her, although it may not seem like it at the time, she will be blessed by having faith. God does not want us to suffer and be broke, but prosper in many ways, not just money. God desires to bless us but its up to us to put ourselves in a position to be blessed.
    i cant afford to tithe, im overdrawn and i had very little coming in, but i started tithing anyway and since doing that consistently i got a better job that offered more hours to fit in with my uni timetable, free accomodation organised for next year at uni, a tax rebate of like £400 that i didnt know i was owed, amongst other blessings.
    besides i didnt originally post to annoy anyone or start any arguments i was just contributing to the post. those are my beliefs and if you dont agree thats your problem. i know where im spending eternity.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    It's called making money out of "guilt".

Sickens me.

Hmmm... Churches dont really make money do they? They tend to donate most of it to the needy and other such worthwile causes.

If it sickens you then you are weird.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It was not meant literally.

Sometimes I don't believe in anything at all, sometimes I think that maybe, just maybe there is something beyond the physical, something like the sum total of all our consiousnesses or something. Vaguely Buddhist and vaguely Pagan I suppose.
    But its a personal thing and is subject to change. One thing I won't do is live my life by a book that was written 2000 years ago. That strikes me as daft.

I know it wasn't, i only wanted you to see your view on this.

Ok it may strike you as daft but not for millions of other people, it's a personal thing as you said.

So most of the time your thoughts are that there is nothing in the afterlife, just death and that is the end.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    mission trips do not impose beliefs on anyone.

Bullshit. Its the whole point of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    and why should your sisters tithing annoy you? if thats what she believes in doing then thats her business. power to her that she cant afford to live and yet still tithes. tithing is an act of obedience and the fact that she still does it despite not being able to afford it shows that she is commited to her beliefs and is willing to obey God even when it seems hard, and God will honour that and bless her, although it may not seem like it at the time, she will be blessed by having faith. God does not want us to suffer and be broke, but prosper in many ways, not just money. God desires to bless us but its up to us to put ourselves in a position to be blessed.
    i cant afford to tithe, im overdrawn and i had very little coming in, but i started tithing anyway and since doing that consistently i got a better job that offered more hours to fit in with my uni timetable, free accomodation organised for next year at uni, a tax rebate of like £400 that i didnt know i was owed, amongst other blessings.
    besides i didnt originally post to annoy anyone or start any arguments i was just contributing to the post. those are my beliefs and if you dont agree thats your problem. i know where im spending eternity.

Give us your money or you're going to hell. Nice church you go to. Very Christian. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So most of the time your thoughts are that there is nothing in the afterlife, just death and that is the end.

Mostly, yes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Hmmm... Churches dont really make money do they? They tend to donate most of it to the needy and other such worthwile causes.

If it sickens you then you are weird.

Actually the Church of England has consderable wealth, some of it invested in arms manufacturers iirc. There was a bit of a scandal over this 3 or 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Give us your money or you're going to hell. Nice church you go to. Very Christian. :rolleyes:
    ]

how rude. when did i say that my church preaches "give us your money or your going to hell?"
    it actually is quite a nice church i go to. really quite lively and spirit filled and really good fun. you are welcome to come anytime :)

i simply added that bit at the end because i do know where im spending eternity, not because i tithe, but because i have accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Saviour. everything else that comes with that is because i desire to be more like Jesus and i desire to please God. i dont appreciate your one-lined comments, flaming my beliefs and opinions without any real arguement. you said "bulls*&t.its the whole point of them" well have you ever been on an outreach team or mission trip? the whole point of one is to reach out to countries who do not know God and do not know the love of Jesus Christ and may want to know. its up them whether or not to believe it. God wants the gospel preached to all the nations, before the return of Jesus (Which is going to be soon) and this is why people go overseas and this is why people tithe because missions cost money!! but like i said, its my belief and my opinion and if you dont agree thats your problem and you are perfectly entitled you your opinion, but i personally am offended by your replies.