Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Do you go to mass?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well the title says it all really.

Whatever your answer is, why?

I go to mass every sunday, honestly it's become a sort of routine, i go to pray to God though.
I listen to the readings and what the priest has to say, i take part in the mass.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No - I'm a non believer...I have no Faith.
    :yes: yep I do, most weeks.

Why? because I'm a Christian and because I was brought up in a church going family and I've stuck with it.
    Nope.
    No chance.
    Not anymore, I used to have to go every week when I was a child, and I grew to resent it. I think I was allowed to stop when I turned 17/18. I still don't practice any religion (my own faith is private) but I do enjoy sitting in churches from time to time just to collect my thoughts and enjoy the atmosphere when no one else is around.
    Why should I pray to a fictional being?!:lol:
    Originally posted by the sole liber

It's called faith.
    Not mass, but church and not as often as I would like to.

I go because I believe in God and I want to know more.
    I used to go when I was younger because they gave all the kids pictures to colour and stickers. :lol: And then we sang songs and stuff.
    I don't believe in God, though, and didn't really believe either when I attended the children's mass. Just went for the free goodies. :rolleyes: Last time I went to a church was for a funeral.
    Well I'm Protestant for a start...

but there's a Catholic church in town that I always walk past and notice everyone coming in and out. Looks pretty cool but I'd be scared to go in.
    Originally posted by the sole liber

:rolleyes: Yup, faith is the word.

*in the George Michael tune*

But cha gotta have faith a faith faith.

Besides, who're you to knock what anybody else believes? You write about ne sentence per post to back up at theory. There's a whole Bible written about God :p

As for myself, I used to go to mass and was confirmed, I sung in a choir and did readings although Christianity never felt right for me, despite aknowledging that all religion is beautiful it just didn't fit my beliefs.

And now I'm pagan, so I do my own little rituals and worship who I worship in my own little way, though I may be working with others soon. I'm happy this way, though I wouldn't diss any other religion. Each to their own. :)
    Originally posted by Shogun
    It's called faith.

It's called making money out of "guilt".

Sickens me.
    hahaha :lol:

oops sorry you were being serious ;)
    It's called faith.

And some people just don't have faith - and why should they?
    Originally posted by byny
    And some people just don't have faith - and why should they?

All down to personal choice really. Perhaps faith compensates for something missing, or maybe it makes us stronger.

Interesting view point. Do you mean the church or faith?
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Interesting view point. Do you mean the church or faith?

Church.

I have no problem with people having faith. That is a personal thing and I don't think that it should ever be condemned.

Church, to me, is just a way of cashing in on that faith. It's alos used as a way of pushing one interpretation of that faith on others - such as Bush's claims about homosexuality and extreem islamic preachers pushing violence. Neither actually applies to the religion they claim to support...
    personaly i don't think god or jesus would dream of setting foot in a church ...especialy one filled with idols!
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Church.

I have no problem with people having faith. That is a personal thing and I don't think that it should ever be condemned.

Church, to me, is just a way of cashing in on that faith. It's alos used as a way of pushing one interpretation of that faith on others - such as Bush's claims about homosexuality and extreem islamic preachers pushing violence. Neither actually applies to the religion they claim to support...

I think we need to distinguish between genuine followers of a faith and those who merely make claims to. If we can distinguish between genuine followers of Islam and those who make claims why can't we do the same with Christianity?

Do you really think that all churches are money-making machines, look at the work of The salvation Army for instance, there are plenty of genuine Christians out there.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Sickens me.

Ah,catch yourself on you fool, making money out of guilt.

If you don't believe then you don't but others do,not everyone gives money to the church, people go to mass to pray, not to give money to the church, yes there's a collection every week...most people give £2-£3.

The church though help people, they listen to their problems and give them advice, help the community, not just money making machines.

Do you go to mass man of kent? do you believe in God?

byny that's your view, people have faith because they believe in something, it just can't be us and nothing else..where did we come from? how did it all start...in the very beginning.
    No. Did at university (but "communion", not "mass" 'cos I'm C of E) but don't usually go to church when I'm at home (long story).
    im a christian but not from a catholic background so no i dont go to mass but i go to church. its a pentecostal church but the word "religion" and "church" is so overused. i go to church to worship God and hear my pastor, led by the Holy Spirit, teach Gods word. i am the church. being a Christian is not about church or religion, its about a personal relationship with JC.

as for making money out of guilt, i wouldnt agree with that, some churches, mine being one of them, teaches strongly on "tithing" which is giving 10% of your income to Gods kingdom, and you give it to the place where you hear the Word. yes it goes to the church, to pay the pastor and pay for the upkeep of the church and pay the bills and pay the people who work in the church, otherwise how are we supposed to have a church? how are we supposed to pay for all things that God wants to do, preach the gospel, go away on mission trips overseas, etc? giving your ten percent is an act of obedience to the word and an act of faith in God. as a Christian i believe that i shouldnt be in debt and i should live on the money i earn and no more, however, as a student, i have an overdraft and a student loan, my overdraft i took out before i had this knowledge about money and im working hard to pay it off. and sometimes i cant afford my 10% but i do it anyway because i know that i will reap what i sow and if i sow into Gods heavenly account, i will reap the benefits of that as God blesses me with money. thats my own personal belief anyway and i have checked it out in the Word and God has confirmed it, so i know that its not my church just trying to get money out of me.
    If you don't believe then you don't but others do,not everyone gives money to the church, people go to mass to pray, not to give money to the church, yes there's a collection every week...most people give £2-£3.

The church though help people, they listen to their problems and give them advice, help the community, not just money making machines.

Do you know who, apart from the Queen, is the biggest landowner in the UK?

Do you know who has one of the biggest shareholdings in Arms companies?

The Church of England?

As for catholcism, from my perspective it's based on guilt - hell the church even holds that from it's first breath a baby is a sinner and needs to cleanse itself. Well sorry, but that's not my understanding of what christianity is all about. Far from it.
    Do you go to mass man of kent? do you believe in God?

No and a sort of yes.

I don't go to mass because I'm not a catholic. I don't attend church because it is so outdated that I cannot apply it to my life.

I do follow christian teachings, to an extent, and I do believe that there is a God, but he's my God and the Church's.
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    go away on mission trips overseas,

Missionaries really fuck me off. Cultural imperialism of the worst kind.
    Yes the Church own alot of land, so.

Well i'm not in the Church of England, i'm a catholic.

You either believe there's a God or there's not.
    Do you believe we are going to an afterlife when we die?
    You either believe there's a God or there's not.

Very simplistic view IMO. Depends on what you mean by "God" for a start.
    Well i'm not in the Church of England, i'm a catholic.

The Vatican is obscenely rich.
    God...created all.

Yes the Vatican are rich, very.

What do you propose you do then, have no churches at all, no priests? Just your own private ceremony to God in your home.
    God...created all.

Thats no answer really.

God is the big bang? The laws of physics? A man with a long beard sitting on a cloud? The ineffable and transcendental for which we have no name? Man's attempt to communicate with the weather? What?
    What do you propose you do then, have no churches at all, no priests? Just your own private ceremony to God in your home.

Yep.
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    some churches, mine being one of them, teaches strongly on "tithing" which is giving 10% of your income to Gods kingdom, and you give it to the place where you hear the Word. yes it goes to the church, to pay the pastor and pay for the upkeep of the church and pay the bills and pay the people who work in the church, otherwise how are we supposed to have a church? how are we supposed to pay for all things that God wants to do, preach the gospel, go away on mission trips overseas, etc? giving your ten percent is an act of obedience to the word and an act of faith in God. as a Christian i believe that i shouldnt be in debt and i should live on the money i earn and no more, however, as a student, i have an overdraft and a student loan, my overdraft i took out before i had this knowledge about money and im working hard to pay it off. and sometimes i cant afford my 10% but i do it anyway because i know that i will reap what i sow and if i sow into Gods heavenly account, i will reap the benefits of that as God blesses me with money.

My sister pays tithings and it really pisses me off. She has absolutely no money ( she's a NURSE!), can't afford to live properly, and yet gives 10% to her born-again Christian thing.

Surely God wouldn't want to you suffer?

And why do you believe in missions? Imposing your beliefs on others is an awful thing to do.
    Some people choose to believe there are many gods as well.