Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tonsillitis Maybe...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Guys - Yeah I know... there's always something wrong with me. Just aint been my week.

Before I start I have made an appointment for the Docs just need your opinion on personal experience.

2 days ago my throat started to get sore. Me thinking it was a cold I started to take Beechams. Last night it got so bad, I had to take couple pain killers. There has been no other signs of the cold, though last night I had a really sore head as well and bit of temperature.

Could this possibly be tonsillitis or do you have any other suggestions?

XoX Sam XoX

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, it could be.

*ming alert!*
    if you can see your tonsils and they have mingy puss-filled bits on, or if you're coughing up greeny-blood-streaked phlegm, it's also likely.

could also be a cold-like virus.

usual advice, drink lots, keep warm, paracetamol for the pain.

your doctor might give you antibiotics, but many don't, unless it's a particularly severe or prolonged attack. it'll clear up on it's own.

it's always worth a trek to the doctors though.
    gargle with soluble asprin, works a treat :)
    I woke up with a really bad throat friday morning ive been taking anadin extras 4 times a day until yesterday and ive now got a cough so im taking benylin.
    Anadin extras should take at least the edge off the painful throat and make it bearable
    And now im almost better :)
    Do you have swollen glands in your neck?
    As Kaffrin said about the tonsils and the coughing up phlegm.
    If all above applies, then you possibly could have tonsillitis or another type of viral infection.
    Theres seems to be quite a bit of tonsillitis about at the monent *is currently recovering from it* and i know 2 mates who are as well.
    Anyone know how contagious tonsillitis is??
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    Do you have swollen glands in your neck?

They're a bit swollen - Nothing to hasty (Hard worse over Glandular Fever)

Haven't coughed up anything.
    Been like this from Monday - Drinking loads of water and staying away from acidy stuff and fizzy drinks. Taking paracetamol 3-4 times aday. Just unbarable at nights. Can't sleep with the pain.

Just hope the Docs will give me something for it - coz it's agony and have to go away on me recruits course soon.

Arrgghh... Just me luck - :crying:
    i keep havin manky bits on my tonsils they don't hurt but if i pick them out (yuk!) the bits smell very nasty. This is something that reoccurs on and off and my doc says they're tonsil ulcers or something like that. Trouble is they don't go away for ages and its manky.

someone on here suggested vitamin c before which i am taking but there's still nasty bits on my tonsils. Sometimes i can't even get them off my tonsils, sometimes they fall off on their own accord esp in morinings.

Its just annoying-think i should go back to my docs and ask for a second opinion?
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    i keep havin manky bits on my tonsils they don't hurt but if i pick them out (yuk!) the bits smell very nasty. This is something that reoccurs on and off and my doc says they're tonsil ulcers or something like that. Trouble is they don't go away for ages and its manky.

Omg I used to get exactly that happening LOADS. But it's stopped now. I have no idea what it was, but it's disgusting and freaky isn't it? My mum reckons it's dried saliva or something. Lovely.

Cruel2BKind, I think it could be tonsilitis, but could just be linked to having a cold. I had the most disgusting bout of tonsilitis recently, where my tonsils had this nasty yellow slimy stuff all over them and it freaked me out so much.

Gargling with whisky also works a treat.
    Hey guys -

Think it is just some kind viral infection/cold
    Although my throat is still killing me, my tonsils seem fine and my glands only swelled up once. Thinking if it was tonsilitis it would be worse than that.

Woke up this morning and my gums swelled up and my ears started to hurt as well.

Ahh... Can't win -

Going to Docs today anyway - Just incase he can give me anything to speed this up coz I aven't slept well all week.

I need a hug but no one is here :crying:
    Going back to bed now coz no energy to write anymore.
    *give hugs*
    Hope you feel better soon. The doc should be able to give you something to help. From what you've said it sounds like you might have some kind of viral infection...but the doc would know best (i hope!)
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind

Going to Docs today anyway - Just incase he can give me anything to speed this up coz I aven't slept well all week.

if it's a virus, there's not much the doctor can do to make it go away, but they can give you painkillers or something to reduce swelling to make you more comfortable.

hope you feel better soon :)
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    *give hugs*

Cheers! :)

Not going to believe it but I slept through my appointment I was due to go to - Ahh Typical!

Kaffrin, you're probably right - they're just tell me the usual about drinking loads of liquids take painkillers when you need them and if you are still like this within such a date, come back.

I can kiss my weekend out B-Bye then :crying:

Thanx again everyone - Cheers! :)

XoX Sam XoX
    Lisa simpsons saxophone-yep it will disapear for months and then attack me when I least expect it! Generally when a hot date is planned!!
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Lisa simpsons saxophone-yep it will disapear for months and then attack me when I least expect it! Generally when a hot date is planned!!
    they're called tonsil stones. you can find info on it on the net.
    without meaning to sound crude, is it possible that its an sti (ie from giving head)? cos thats another thing people dont tend to think of
    Didn't know how many other people had the manky lumps at the back of their throat! But yeah, they are tonsil stones. Basically a collection of bacteria and stuff in little pockets on your tonsils...pleasant! I've been given anti-biotics for them before, but it didn't really work. But they don't hurt much, just smell nasty!