Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

selling my own products

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I make pieces of jewellery, mainly customised bracelets, and through observation and word of mouth, i think people would buy them. Im not looking to start a business with this, but i enjoy making the pieces and a little extra money wouldnt go a miss.

Im just wondering where to start really. I work at a small, independent jewellery place so do you think asking my boss if she would stock some things on a trial basis would be the best place to start? Or would a website be a better plan?

Also...are there any legalities involved in selling on other people's products, but in a different context?? That didnt make sense :p I mean I dont get the beads from wholesalers, just art and craft shops...would they have the right to stop me from selling my bracelets??

Thank you!!

:D:D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    basically, unless you're looking to shift a whole load of bracelets (i don't know how labour-intensive they are) your best bet is consignment. that is, getting other people to sell your jewellery.

your idea about asking your boss if she'll sell some for you is an a great idea. if the shop already has a good reputation and client base, then you're guaranteed viewers. you might even want to ask around other shops near you to see if they're interested.

a website is a good idea, but it means forking out for a domain, because most free web site specify that they're for personal use only. you also have the issue of web design, and marketing.

which can all be solved with the use of a consignment website. basically, consigning with a site eliminates all your marketing needs, as they already have loyal customers, and it eliminates website costs and hassles. they will take a cut, usually about 30%, but because they are established, they usually get better prices for items than someone starting out on their own would.

probably the most well known of these websites is cut and paste. it's a US site, but they do accept international consigners.

there are also a number of communities on livejournal that you can sell and trade your wares at (even my community - diymarketplace - plug plug!). but the problem with these is that most of the members are quite crafty, so if they see something they like, they are more likely to just make it themselves than to buy it.

on the selling beads issue, there are so many bead companies who all sell similar things, that even if they wanted to complain about you, they wouldn't really be able to prove that the beads you are selling came from them. as long as you don't set up shop next door to them or anything, i don't think you'll have a problem. also you might want to look into wholesale beads, the amounts you have to buy might be less than you think, and it's just as easy as buying retail. i have a friend who buys a lot, so i can ask her for some sites if you like?

phew. hope that helps :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You could do worse than eBay . Auction stylee.
    people on ebay don't really have an appetite for quality hand made goods.

*not bitter or anything*

;)
    ooh...wow...thats great!

thank you! :thumb:

and asking your friend about those sites would be great too. Maybe you could PM them to me? :)
    hiya, i know some people who have asked local shops (gneraly ones that do nicnaks) to stock them, and then sell them via the shop, normaly giving them a small %