Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does the UK suffer from mourning sickness?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well in my opinion society is too obsessed with media figures full stop, let alone those who die. But then c'est la vie, the papers and the television companies make money on pulling our heart strings.

Maybe we're too soft, or maybe it's good that we can express emotion so freely.
  • Options
    hmmm, well I certainly think all this leaving flowers to rot outside buildings and tied to gates is a little excessive, some poor soul has to clear them up when they've turned to mush. Surely something more productive could come of these tradgedies, like people being encouraged to send donations to charity or there being collections rather than cheap flowers and soggy teddy bears piling up?
  • Options
    i just cannot comprehend the cult of celeb.
    some people indulge in it ...others are obsessed with it.
    it's the thing to aspire to! why ...?
    i pressume it demeans the worshipper at the foot of their gods and godesses. the worshipper feels that good is going to come from their act. no good comes from it whatsoever yet ...the worshipper goes away feeling fulfilled ...yet some how cheated?
    'it's a mad world ...'
  • Options
    Bad as it is, it's got to be better than the stateside version... recreational rage.
  • Options
    Of course we are obsessed with celebrity deaths- look at the emotional bollock-speak that accompanied the death of Princess Diana "blonde tart" Spencer.

It's like when a girl committed suicide because Take That split up, it's pathetic. And anyone obsessed by any celebrity is pathetic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Of course we are obsessed with celebrity deaths- look at the emotional bollock-speak that accompanied the death of Princess Diana "blonde tart" Spencer.

Ditto Queen Mother...
  • Options
    Then again, maybe events like princess Diana's death bring people together.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Very briefly.

If it takes something like that, then society has huge problems...

It also caused divisions. I was castigated at the time for not wanting to watch the funeral, for wanting to carry on that day as normal...
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Only if you are pathetic enough to mourn someone who you don't know and have never even met.

I was sad she died, but no sadder that I was for the umpteen other mothers of teenage children killed in car crashes.
  • Options
    Dispite the requests of the parents of Holly and Jessica for people to not to visit Soham, people still did.
    And did ALLLL those flowers that were layed by people when Diana died actually do any good?

People in society do things to feed their egos and make themselves feel good.......... without ACTUALLY doing any good!

All of this "recreational grief" seems to be taking over from things like giving to charity.
  • Options
    Maybe its not that our society is wanting a piece of the grief.

Maybe it's that they feel genuinly sad, when someone in the public eye that they have come to feel like they know and respect, dies.

Maybe it's that people are genuinly shocked and distraught by tragedies like the soham murders.

Maybe society doesnt perform helpful actions, but they maybe are feeling ones.

Maybe.
    Just a thought.