Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ls "half caste" offensive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its a term generally best avoided I think.
    Race usually denotes blacks, whites, orientals, etc.

Physical anthropologists generally reckon that the notion of race is a redundant one!!! There are NO major PERCEIVED differences between the different races!!!!
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Race usually denotes blacks, whites, orientals, etc.

Physical anthropologists generally reckon that the notion of race is a redundant one!!! There are NO major PERCEIVED differences between the different races!!!!

What do you mean? What's a physical anthropologist?
    I didn't understand that either.

There aren't, really. Blacks and whites are physically identical, with a few subtle adaptations to the climate in which they live, like pigmentation or sickle-cell anaemia. It's the same with those from the Indian sub-continent, the Far East, the Middle East. Race exists in no real sense, only culturally.
    ^
    that makes sense now Kermit, and I agree.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What do you mean? What's a physical anthropologist?

It's a branch of anthropology which deals with how humans evolved!
    and my best mate calls himself halfcast and his parents call him it, and i call him it therefore cause my mum uses it (in a non degratory way i must add, shes like super liberal) but when i used it around someone else recently they had a big go at me and called me racist, huh!
    Originally posted by Kermit
    There aren't, really. Blacks and whites are physically identical, with a few subtle adaptations to the climate in which they live, like pigmentation or sickle-cell anaemia. It's the same with those from the Indian sub-continent, the Far East, the Middle East. Race exists in no real sense, only culturally.

Ahh yeah, I agree.

i didn't know that, thanks

My understanding is that, if you believe in genetics and the evolutionary chain, we are decendants of "Blacks"... dominant genes etc...
    Can't really see why it should be used in the first place. None of the mixed people I know, seem like half-castes to me.
    Joking and in private is another thing. But still, can't see the relevance of the term in everyday usage.
    It's a branch of anthropology which deals with how humans evolved!

Stop using so many exclamation marks! Its really annoying!!!!!!!!

See!!!!!
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Can't really see why it should be used in the first place. None of the mixed people I know, seem like half-castes to me.
    Joking and in private is another thing. But still, can't see the relevance of the term in everyday usage.

Identity perhaps? As long as diversity is celebrated whilst not segregating.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Identity perhaps? As long as diversity is celebrated whilst not segregating.

I don't understand where you're heading at?
    I have a have a half cast friend, though he seems to prefer to call himself black. He's also gay, but that is a different story. He's quite the minority but people just dont mind.
    The word caste comes from the Latin word Castus, which means 'pure' and the Portuguese and Spanish word Casta, meaning 'race'. So basically when you call someone half caste you are calling them 'half pure race'. So in answer to your original question, I would say its pretty offensive
    welcome to the boards and all that though!! :)
    what do you mean when you say half cast...?

sorry couldnt resisit :P
    Explain yuself
    wha yu mean
    when yu say half-caste
    thats it!
    I don't get it
    yu mean when picasso
    mix red an green
    is a half-caste canvas
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't get it

it's a poem looky http://www.intermix.org.uk/poetry/poetry_01_agard.asp
    I really don't any opinion on this at all. It was a term that was used widely in the 1980s, but now seems to have fallen out of use for some reason.
    x_offender wrote: »
    The word caste comes from the Latin word Castus, which means 'pure' and the Portuguese and Spanish word Casta, meaning 'race'. So basically when you call someone half caste you are calling them 'half pure race'. So in answer to your original question, I would say its pretty offensive

doesn't that answer it SG?
    doesn't that answer it SG?

Not really - as the word Welsh means foreigner and was used by the Anglo-Saxon invaders as a derogotary term for the natives of this Island. I don't see massive calls we should not longer call it them.

Come to that 'Paki' means pure in Urdu - but people don't mean it like that

It doesn't matter where the word comes from - it's how people use it now that matters. Now half-caste may be insulting - but it's historical connotations (which 99% of people don't know) is irrelevant in that.
    Not really - as the word Welsh means foreigner and was used by the Anglo-Saxon invaders as a derogotary term for the natives of this Island. I don't see massive calls we should not longer call it them.

Come to that 'Paki' means pure in Urdu - but people don't mean it like that

It doesn't matter where the word comes from - it's how people use it now that matters. Now half-caste may be insulting - but it's historical connotations (which 99% of people don't know) is irrelevant in that.

I didn't know that. I just thought that the origins of the word is interesting and could give a clue as to why it is so insulting today.
    I didn't know that. I just thought that the origins of the word is interesting and could give a clue as to why it is so insulting today.

Could be as much referring to someone as 'half' anything.

Calling someone who's vertically challenged half-pint will often get you into a fight (though normally I can just hold my hand outstretched against their head and they can't get near enough to get a decent swing in)
    Yes I guess the clue is in the name!