Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

R.D.T at your place of work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
are you happy with random drug testing at your place of work?
if it's not there yet, it doesn't sound far away as more and more companies jump on the RDT bandwaggon.
in some industries i can understand it but i fear this is getting to widespread. smoke one spliff at the weekend and you will test positive for two months!

Comments

• Options
    i doubt it would happen at my place.

You have to be on something to survive working there!
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on the management styles within a particular firm to wheter drugs tests are introduced. The more modern approach may turn a blind eye to drugs testing, realising moderate drug use and efficiency in the workplace can exist side by side.

Personally, if I had a choice I would only consider RDT's if there was a noticable drop in performance amongst my employees. Things like cannabis I think are fine as long as the use is not reflected in efficiency in the workplace.
  • Options
    We are going to have them in school because of the increase of dealing within School grounds. Nobody is volunteering information so I guess this way makes sense.

What do the tests involve though?
  • Options
    Piss and hair sample i think?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    Piss and hair sample i think?

Why hair samples?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    We are going to have them in school because of the increase of dealing within School grounds. Nobody is volunteering information so I guess this way makes sense.

What do the tests involve though?
    i actualy agree with it being done in schools but not in clloge or uni.
    tests are very simple and non intrusive.
  • Options
    Why hair samples?

Well im not sure if this is exactly right but i think they can tell you`ve done a illegal substance for several months maybe upto 6 months? just by lookin at a single hair strand.
  • Options
    Well im not sure if this is exactly right but i think they can tell you`ve done a illegal substance for several months maybe upto 6 months? just by lookin at a single hair strand.
    spot the stoner ...bald shiny heads everywhere you look!
  • Options
    I think it should be compulsary with some jobs. One that involves driving or operating machinary are prime examples.

My last place of work used RDT but they gave you about a weeks notice which kinda had me a bit :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    I think it should be compulsary with some jobs. One that involves driving or operating machinary are prime examples.

My last place of work used RDT but they gave you about a weeks notice which kinda had me a bit :confused:

whats the point in doin an R.D.T if they tell u when its gonna happen
  • Options
    Originally posted by sprocket
    whats the point in doin an R.D.T if they tell u when its gonna happen
    gives you chance to get a sick note and have that week off.
  • Options
    yeah im happy with it, the place i work does it so thats why i stopped smoking weed

its a personal choice if you take them or not, but im happy to be tested
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    yeah im happy with it, the place i work does it so thats why i stopped smoking weed

its a personal choice if you take them or not, but im happy to be tested
    if you had a smoke this weekend though and then tested positive three weeks down the line ...what would happen to you and how would you feel about it?
  • Options
    Why should they sack you for it though if your work isnt suffering? I think some companies will test just to look good but will basically ignore the results.
  • Options
    id be annoyed but i stopped smoking it over 3 weeks ago now

would you loose your job if it came back positive? i know you do in the forces
  • Options
    chief constable of greater manchester police put a stop to it when he discovered his officers were stopping smoking weed cos it's traceable for so long ...and switching instead to heroin and coke which only shows for a very short time.
    i think it's already gone to far. why should your boss have access to your private life in such a way?
  • Options
    Its dictating what you want to do in your own time which is none of the companys business..

i`ve seen more people come into work fucked after a night on the piss then havin a smoke the night before.

In fact i`d say people that are hungover feel that rough their work does suffer but i wouldnt want them sacked for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

i think it's already gone to far. why should your boss have access to your private life in such a way?

When I started at my job, one of the managers was talking me through the procedures and stuff, one of the things she mentioned was that if a situation came up that money was going missing or something, they had the right to request that I be searched.

Now apparently random searching is being started, with or without our consent.

Point is, it's a slippery slope. I'd bet that it's only a matter of time before we get RDT, just watch.
  • Options
    well i think there within there rights if its a live in job (like mine) or in the forces, including police and paramedics, fireman and all the armed forces
  • Options
    i think they should only sack/ disclipline you if you turned into work under the influence right there and then not for a smoke you had a week ago no matter what profession your in.
  • Options
    Excuse my totally ignorance and lack of knowledge first off. :)

When you get tested can they actually tell how much is in your system? Or is it just a "you've got pot/coke/E/herion in your system and we can't tell if it's cause of something you took 5 mins ago/last night/last week"
  • Options
    i think they should only sack/ disclipline you if you turned into work under the influence right there and then not for a smoke you had a week ago no matter what profession your in.

But if you were smoking a week ago and you were doing an important job then it probably wasn't the best idea.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

Now apparently random searching is being started, with or without our consent.

when i worked in the shop when i was at college they did that, everyone had to be searched every four weeks, was a pain in the ass and you had to keep all the recipts from anything you ever brought there :mad:
  • Options
    But if you were smoking a week ago and you were doing an important job then it probably wasn't the best idea.

But say you do a important job and work 5 days a week surely after a hard weeks graft your entitled to have a smoke on a friday night i dont think its gonna make you incapable for work on monday somehow.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually remembered that by taking these drugs that we are infact breaking the law (No matter how pish we all think the laws are we are still breaking them). Is that maybe something the work places are thinking about as well?
  • Options
    But say you do a important job and work 5 days a week surely after a hard weeks graft your entitled to have a smoke on a friday night i dont think its gonna make you incapable for work on monday somehow.

I meant while working, perhaps during a lunch break or something, then coming back to do heart surgery.
  • Options
    I meant while working, perhaps during a lunch break or something, then coming back to do heart surgery.

oh i see, what im talking about is people doing drugs in their spare time like on the weekend or in the evening whilst at home that is acceptable.

If someone was caught under the influence whilst at work in my opinion they can be sacked/disciplined there is grounds for it .
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Has anyone actually remembered that by taking these drugs that we are infact breaking the law (No matter how pish we all think the laws are we are still breaking them). Is that maybe something the work places are thinking about as well?
    in my opinion it's no business of theres even if it is illegal.
    i have a spliff in front of me right now ...that does not make me untrustworthy or even worse a crook. i might break the rules but i am not comitting crime.
    fishing without a licience at the weekend doesn't make you a crook!
    i have heard that the tests aren't exactly big science and distinguishing between last weeks use and yesterdays doesn't sound to good. i may be wrong.
  • Options
    i can understand the desire to get carried away ...we can do it so lets.
    what worries me is the amount of surveilance and information ...if even our employers can gather information on us like this then ...what fucking use was the data protection act about? it was about conning us into thinking we are still free me thinks.
    ever get the idea that we are building massive jails ...greater manchester ...liverpool ...london ...
    the gurds or gaurdians will know every single thing about you and what you have done in the last 24hrs ...weeks ...years ...ever!
    surely we are being herded down a very dodgy road.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If anyone is interested, the links here and here are theSite's info pages, and look here for extensive drugs testing info on Erowid.