Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Manchester police caught on camera beating up suspect

"The Police Complaints Authority is to supervise an investigation into an alleged assault by an officer in Manchester, caught on CCTV.
A Greater Manchester Police officer has already been removed from front-line duties over his alleged involvement.

Video footage played in court apparently showed an officer repeatedly kicking Delbo King while on the ground."

The story

... and the video footage

So... will anything come out of this or will the officer suspended (never mind the others) be given a slap in the wrist?

What troubles me is that the actions of the drunken man hardly justify being kicked repeatedly. If he had punched the officer in question or attacked him with a knife you could at least understand (though not condone) the policeman's reaction- a one off act of misconduct by a man who has been attacked and temporarily lost the plot.

But to give him such a kicking simply for running around trying to evade arrest leads me to believe this kind of action was not a one-off. Rather more like a routine followed when arresting certain people.

And let's not even look at the colour of the skin of the arrested man as a whole new set of possibilities materialise... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aye saw that report on the TV this morning, bloody awful. But then it pretty much sums up the reason why so many people don't trust the police. Because whilst a lot of them are sound, too many take their power too far and then it's all ego tripping from there.

The north Wales police are awful for this (ego tripping & being disorganised, not beating black people up) as you can't trust them and if you're not 'the norm' then they are balantly less keen to help.

So they're either overly PC, or they discriminate in my own experience. Uppity and don't do their job. I don't go outta my way to annoy them, but the report in the news is a prime example as to why I believe in looking after myself and not in being looked after by the police or protected by the so-called 'justice system'.
    Apparently the man was pissed and damaged a bus shelter (probably smashed the glass or something like that).

Not something to be proud of, and something for which he's admitted to and has been punished for. But does this really merit a kicking?

Hence my previous comments that since this man hadn't done anything pretty outrageous, the only reason I can think for the kicking is that it is something that copper did regularly to people he arrested just because he thinks they deserve it (or in the worst case scenario because he thinks black people should be kicked).
    Was this guy known to the police previously? Im curious as to wether he had violence to the police previously.

Did we see the full cctv coverage or had things been edited ?

You see you lot are always telling me the press dont give all the facts or they tell lies, how do we know that this story is to make the police look bad and that maybe this guy had done something to the copper beforehand ? Just a thought like.
    Whatever he did or didn't do, I would think that kicking a man on the ground goes beyond standard police procedure.
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Whatever he did or didn't do, I would think that kicking a man on the ground goes beyond standard police procedure.

True, they shouldnt have laced into him like that. I was just wondering wether there were any other factors in this case that we were not told about.
    sadly this is all to common all over the place. what worries me is we are told they're the worlds finest ...the worlds best.
    doesn't look like highly trained proffesional behaviour from here ...
    Quote: "He also pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour and resisting a police officer in the execution of his duty.

King was given one day's detention and ordered to pay £100 compensation for damaging a bus shelter."

Unfortunately, the norm for a police officer to see on a Saturday night. I would expect them to be able to handle this without going that far. I know its possible, I've seen them do it in worse situations, when there is a lot more people involved.

I'd like to hear Whowheres opinion on this one.
    No Becky, to everyone's knowledge the man wasn't violent towards the police or dangerous.

Not that it should matter anyway. The police have a duty not to beat people up because they the naughty suspects say bad words to them or try to assault them.

There is absolutely no justification for what is seen on the footage.
    Well it shows what the police are really like, i'm not suprised at all.

The police over here are just like that only cctv isn't around as much.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Well it shows what the police are really like, i'm not suprised at all.

The police over here are just like that only cctv isn't around as much.
    north wales police and the greater manchester police have both installed more cameras than any other forces ...i left manchester to live in wales ...do you think they followed me!
    No but they heard you were in town but couldn't find you hence an outbreak of frustration and loss of control.
    No but they heard you were in town but couldn't find you hence an outbreak of frustration and loss of control.
    i know i'm going a bit off subject here but the guys with the big boots can monitor my entire journey of 75 miles to machester from here via cameras and phones and it is something i'm realy not comfortable with.
    i hate mobile phones ...very rarely does mine ever leave the house with me. thing is ...the cameras alone can do it ...but then i do stick two fingers up to them by taking the old route of country roads across the cheshire plain.
    i know all your arguments about why they can only be good and i'd probably be mostly in agreement with you but ...i don't like them at all.
    There is an argument for cameras and its the reason for this thread. I know what you mean though, one thing though Rolly, do not get stoned and watch 'Enemy of the State' :nervous:
    There is an argument for cameras and its the reason for this thread. I know what you mean though, one thing though Rolly, do not get stoned and watch 'Enemy of the State' :nervous:
    i'm off to the video shop ...got me some nice red wine and some spanish seasoning! thats tonight sorted.
    Quote: "He also pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour and resisting a police officer in the execution of his duty.

King was given one day's detention and ordered to pay £100 compensation for damaging a bus shelter."

Unfortunately, the norm for a police officer to see on a Saturday night. I would expect them to be able to handle this without going that far. I know its possible, I've seen them do it in worse situations, when there is a lot more people involved.

I'd like to hear Whowheres opinion on this one.

The general consensus from people I know was that the force was a tad excessive. However you have to bear in mind that NONE of us knows what happened beforehand that hasn't been admitted and will not have come out in court at this moment in time.
    The guy may have previous for violent offences, he may have threatened one of the officers, we just don't know.
    CCTV is wonderful, but without sound it is VERY easy to misjudge something completely.
    Take poor old Rodney King in the states, the CCTV footage showed him being attacked by loads of cops. It didn't show him threatening to shoot them, and his defence lawyers helpfully "lost" the footage from a few minutes before showing him being violent towards the police and resisting an arrest.

You also have to bear in mind that this chap (in the UK) is a big guy and ex-military. All of which would show up on his PNC check. I don't know about you but from what I know soldiers are generally able to beat the crap out of anyone regardless of numbers.

I believe the best course of action will be to wait for the full facts to emerge before passing judgement on this one, like I said CCTV although wonderful is highly misleading. A lot like statistics.
    1995_36_1304.jpg

:mad: ;)

(at Roll and BlackArab, as Whowhere beat me to post)
    There might indeed be mitigating circumstances, but nothing can justify kicking a man repeatedly while he's being held on the ground.

The only questions now are whether the man did something so vile to the policemen that one of them lost temporarily control of his temper and did something he now regrets (for which a temporary suspension and fine added to an apology from the policeman could be all it’s needed) or the policeman kicked him out of habit or because he thinks that's what people like the arrested man "deserve it”. Which should attract a much more severe punishment.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The general consensus from people I know was that the force was a tad excessive. However you have to bear in mind that NONE of us knows what happened beforehand that hasn't been admitted and will not have come out in court at this moment in time.
    The guy may have previous for violent offences, he may have threatened one of the officers, we just don't know.
    CCTV is wonderful, but without sound it is VERY easy to misjudge something completely.
    Take poor old Rodney King in the states, the CCTV footage showed him being attacked by loads of cops. It didn't show him threatening to shoot them, and his defence lawyers helpfully "lost" the footage from a few minutes before showing him being violent towards the police and resisting an arrest.

You also have to bear in mind that this chap (in the UK) is a big guy and ex-military. All of which would show up on his PNC check. I don't know about you but from what I know soldiers are generally able to beat the crap out of anyone regardless of numbers.

I believe the best course of action will be to wait for the full facts to emerge before passing judgement on this one, like I said CCTV although wonderful is highly misleading. A lot like statistics.

I was taking that into consideration as I know what squaddies are like when drinking but he had been gassed,handcuffed, was lying on the floor and outnumbered. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    There's a police term known as red mist. I believe this is what happened.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    There's a police term known as red mist. I believe this is what happened.

I respect your honesty and I do appreciate that the police have a difficult job patrolling the streets on a weekend. I have worked behind bars and driven a cab and know that if I was caught doing that I would be convicted and lose my job, quite rightfully so.

Any defence of 'red mist' cannot be allowed as he is a trained officer and he knew what he was facing when he went to work.

If the investigation finds him guilty he must face the same.
    I agree with you whole heartedly, for somethings there is no excuse. If it turns out that he did go completely overboard, and that the ex-squaddie did nothing to aggravate the situation then so be it.
    If it turns out the force he used was equal to the force shown by the squaddie the kudos to that man.
    Apropos of nothing...

PC badly hurt in concrete attack

Nothing to do with Manchester, but it goes to show that things are never black-and-white in life. If it can happen once, it could happen to a copper every time he tries an arrest.
    Its curious that is is assumed to be a racist attack, why? Isnt the assumption that they would dislike him because of his colour in itself racist?

Anyway, onto the footage itself. I have no issue with them using the CS spray, he is a big bloke and he's resisting arrest, fair enough.

It is the part where the policeman stops when he see's passers by, then when they've gone kicks again. Then you KNOW he knows he's in the wrong.

And WhoWhere; Are you really trying to defend the Rodney King case? They laid into him with battons for ages, it was clearly a beating, it had nothing to do with restraining him at all.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Was this guy known to the police previously? Im curious as to wether he had violence to the police previously.

I read in the Mirror, that this guy is considered a hero in Paris, he has won medal for his bravory and has served in the army or something like that. He has no convictions that we know of.
    whispers ' hero in the Paras, not Paris' ;)
    whispers ' hero in the Paras, not Paris' ;)
    pmsl! i was wondering why this guy was a hero over there when reading that.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Its curious that is is assumed to be a racist attack, why? Isnt the assumption that they would dislike him because of his colour in itself racist?

Where? the original story didn't mention it.

If people assume something like that its because of experience. Its like seeing a woman with a black eye, most people would assume domestic violence when maybe she did genuinely walk into a door.
    Some of the coverage I have seen has insinuated that it was a racist attack.
    G.K.Chesterton wrote in some his book that the police of any European country is much closer to Tsar’s ‘okhranka’ ( excuse me for wrong spelling) than the public thinks it is. It was written 100 years ago