Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

:o

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Clicky
Whos more brainwashed, the kids or the parents?

:p

your comments please

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:

...America

This is the third time I have come across something so stupid. How much money is ploughed into this "reserach" it makes me wonder.
    lol... but this is the funniest so far though

"To be a hands on parent you must turn off the Tv during dinner"

Classic :lol:

*goes off to smoke*
    oh thats not even the worse of it... can't even watch a full half hour on comedy central without some anti-drug or anti-smoking commercial. fuck theres a huge ass anti-drug billboard not a mile away from my appt. you find it stupid seeing it like that, try seeing it every day... you have no idea.
    Keeping Teens In Hand
    To be a "hands-on" parent, at least 10 of the following 12 must be true.
    You must:
    Monitor what your kids are watching on TV.
    Monitor their use of the Internet.
    Put restrictions on CDs they buy.
    Know where your kids are after school and during weekends.
    Be told the truth about your teenager's whereabouts.
    Be aware of your teenager's academic performance.
    Impose a curfew.
    Make it clear that you would be ''extremely upset'' if your teen used Marijuana .
    Eat dinner with your teen six or seven nights a week.
    Turn the TV off during dinner.
    Assign regular chores for your teen.
    Have an adult present when the teen comes home from school.

lol at most about three/four of them apply to most normal teenagers...any more and your parent will be living your lives...tbh i think that americans are taking it a bit far with their "drug free america" thing...its practially making kids want to try them in my opinion
    I think they`ve been on the whacy backy themselves to come out with that utter tosh.

On there its got storys about Ecstasy addicts that have gone into oblivion and come out the other side! big deal people pop pills and some fuck up all the time not a hard addiction to overcome is it really!

If these morons was really into the scene they would not lower thereselves into telling their tale of woe to the worst anti drug website on the net, They would sort their head out then party on! only in america :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Tear Drops

that sounds like a pearl of wisdom a social worker would come out with!
    "If you want to be a good parent, handcuff your teen inside a wardrobe and feed them their homework through the keyhole"

....what a bunch of shite....
    what do you reckon their drug of choice is ...obviously nothing that puts them in touch with reality is alowed ...
    they might as well publish a book named 'How to raise your children'

if i was a parent i would be insulted by reading that
    Originally posted by badboy4life
    they might as well publish a book named 'How to raise your children'

if i was a parent i would be insulted by reading that
    no one reads it ...honest. not even mormons ...no one reads it.
    The partnership really depress me because they hold a lot of influence in the US, and they are the first source of information for a lot of people.

However having said that I have heard research saying time and again it is un-supervised time for the few hours after school that leads kids getting into trouble. I know I wasnt supervised then and I got up to all kinds of shit that could have got me into some nasty shit.

Parents knowing where their kids are isnt a bad thing. However these people are alarmist and their information has many flaws in it and therefore kids will dissmiss it all.
    I only read the one page.. but didnt see what was wrong with it at all.

I mean, the writers sound a bit paranoid but ~ whats wrong with making sure you know where your child is, eating dinner together, keeping tabs on their school performance, knowing your kids mates.

Parents are meant to ensure a kid is safe, growing up well and their meant to try to steer their kid away from drugs. Its their job.

I dont know what the quality of their drugs information is.. it sounds like good parenting advice

Know where your kids are after school and during weekends.
    Be told the truth about your teenager's whereabouts.
    Be aware of your teenager's academic performance.
    Impose a curfew.
    Make it clear that you would be ''extremely upset'' if your teen used Marijuana .
    Eat dinner with your teen six or seven nights a week.
    Turn the TV off during dinner.
    Assign regular chores for your teen

My parents did all of that when i was 15.
    A few people seem to have had a problem with the
    line, think about it, what time do most families actually have to sit together and catch up ... kids are always in and out, if a family actually is lucky enough to eat dinner together, why not turn the tv off? And TALK too many families dont ever do that.
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    if a family actually is lucky enough to eat dinner together, why not turn the tv off? And TALK
    reminds me of a saying i heard along the way ...'the family that eats together ...are the family that stay together'. haven't a clue where ...is it a religous view?
    I'm not sure, but I have heard that before too, its true I think, more than anything it can be really enjoyable for everyone to sit around and talk like that.

I've got quite a big family, especially with a couple of sister-in-laws and a niece and nephew and I really like it when we all get together.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    reminds me of a saying i heard along the way ...'the family that eats together ...are the family that stay together'. haven't a clue where ...is it a religous view?

Mmm loads of little sayings like that. My mate and her family (they had a band) were in the paper under the headline 'the family that plays together stays together' heard that a few times.

See, i have a small family really, but when the whole family get together which is rare now (much to my mums disgust) i really do love it.
    Just read this on the XTC info page -

Paraphernalia:
    In addition to the physical signs, you can watch for the presence of paraphernalia associated with Ecstasy use. Items that may be linked to Ecstasy use by your child include:

Pacifiers
    Lollipops
    Candy necklaces
    Glow sticks and/or glowing jewelry
    Mentholated rub
    Surgical-type masks

These items emerged in the “rave” scene, where teens are far more likely to have tried Ecstasy. While they look innocent, each of the items emerged around Ecstasy use for a reason: pacifiers and lollipops are often used to help Ecstasy users guard against the teeth grinding that comes from involuntary jaw clenching. Candy necklaces are sometimes used to hide Ecstasy pills (bags of small candies also are used for this purpose) and the glow sticks, mentholated rub and surgical masks often are used by those on Ecstasy to overstimulate their senses.

Bottled water is often sold at “raves.” Ecstasy users are often counseled to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. In some cases this has been problematic and has lead to “water intoxication" (hypothermia), which can be dangerous or even fatal.

Mother: "Jonny, Is that a bottle of vicks in your hand? Right it's off to Rehab with you"

The whole page is here - Clicky
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    For goodness sake, they haven't even got their facts straight. Water intoxication is hyponatremia (literally "low salt") and over heating is hyperthermia, both of which are dangers associated with E use. The only possible link I found for water intoxication and hypothermia is as follows -
    Advanced hyponatraemia can be associated with hallucinations, inappropriate behaviour, altered temperature regulation (including hypothermia), seizures, coma, diabetes insipidus and respiratory arrest.

From this page on the Erowid website. And that is stretching it.
    The page is no worse than TalktoFrank, in fact I'd say their mistakes are slightly less.
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    and over heating is hyperthermia,
    and heres me thinking old people died of hypothermia cos they were freezing!
    i pity people who are subjected to that. i wouldn´t be able to cope like that.

i buy the CD´s i like, though my mum did try and diswade me buying a NIN album but i think that was just because i annoused that i was gonning to play it very loud from 6AM to 6AM the next morning (lol, that would have been fun). and i really rarely eat with my mum and stuff. i don´t even live there for 2 nights a week at least sometimes 4 nights.

does this make me a bad teenager??

ummmm, i don´t think so some how.
    I had a feeling you might say that. At least I can do something about it on this site.....
    Or at least you can after I point out the problem....
    Miaow! I picked that one up all by myself thankyou. :D
    Now get your claws back in and play nice
    I just thought a bit of handbagging in the morning would keep you on your toes.
    ffs its Friday. Where did you learn how to be so good at handbagging, anyway?
    Its just natural, you know, the wit, the sparkle.
    Evidently :yeees: