Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The England squad!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What is your opinion on the recently named England squad for the friendly against Portugal in Faro?

Personally my opinion is that is same old, same old. I think that Eriksson really needs to bring in some new faces because let's face it players like Hargreaves, Joe Cole, Nicky Butt and possibly Kieron Dyer and Jermaine Jenas have not really been too impressive when it comes to playing for their country. Well ok without the exception of Nicky Butt there as he had a brilliant World cup in 2002, but recent form he has not played much and is probably not in the sort of shape that he could be in. Also i don;t think that Jenas and Dyer have done anything spectacular at Newcastle this season. I cannot believe Sven has left out the brilliant Scott Parker and also i think that this warm-up game is the perfect opportunity to give Celtic's Alan Thompson a chance to shine in an England shirt. He is the answer to our prayers as an Englishman who can play on the left wing, just what we need. Yet Sven still picks his old favourites like Heskey, Mills, James, Carragher. I do not think that any of those guys are international class players and it is disappointing when we have very adequate players to replace them in the Premiership. Why the hell is Jermain Defoe not in the squad i can't see why Wayne Rooney should be there ahead of him because yes Rooney's form has picked up lately but for the first half of the season he was apalling.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let's face it, come Euro 2004 we know what the team will be pretty much. He can give the likes of Parker/Jenas/Dyer a game in friendlies but we all know that Becks, Super Stevie G, Scholes, they're all on the team sheet before even giving it any thought. Rooney and Owen will play up top, James in goal (why oh why, it should be Martyn or Kirkland). I watch these games because at the end of the day it's international footy involving England, but they're a bit of a farce. I hear Ledley King is starting tonight. WHY?!!! What next, Titus 'I'm having another shocker' Bramble?'. If he wants to try out young English defenders, but Michael Dawson or Gareth Barry in there. Ledley bloody King. I dunno.....