Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dilemma...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay, so I've got all my uni offers now and I am having a big dilemma.

I live in Kent and most of the unis I've applied to are in the South East area, the one down here I'm interested in is Roehampton. However, I did apply to Warwick because its the only university that wasn't close to me that still really appealed to me. Now I've been given offers from both Roehampton and Warwick, and I just don't know which one to accept.

I'm the kind of person who gets homesick really easily, and although I think I should be okay at Warwick, I'm worried that I'll get too homesick and mess up my degree because of it.

I've got a boyfriend here who I've been with for nearly three years. Although I don't think university would break us up, it would be much easier for us both if I went to Roehampton, because he works about half an hour away from there, so could visit me during the week.

Although I would still come home a lot of weekends, obviously Roehampton it would take me about 1.5 hours to get home, where as Warwick would take me more like 2.5-3 hours and I couldn't just pop home for an evening if I felt the need.

Warwick is academically excellent and is like one of the top universities in the UK, where as Roehampton is like not a very good uni at all.

I just don't know what to do. Warwick appeals to me a lot, I've been predicted straight As and I feel as if I may be letting myself down to go somewhere like Roehampton, might not get as many opportunities from it etc. But then I am worried about getting homesick and overcoming the distance with my bf.

Does anyone have any advice or past experiences of similar situations? What do you think I should do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Go for Warwick. Do the best you can - if you're predicted straight As, a uni like Roehampton won't do you justice. Think of what happens when you graduate - you'll be much more appealing to an employer if you went to Warwick, and it's hard enough to get a job as it is.

Don't let your relationship with your boyfriend affect your decision - as you yourself said, you think it'll last anyway.

Also, don't think you'd come home really often - you might feel now like you'd want to, but I bet once you're at uni you won't want to come home even for holidays!

Umm yeah that's all my advice really - sorry I just realised I sound quite pushy etc, didn't mean it to come out like that! Basically, the most important thing is to go for the course you like best and the place you can most see yourself living in for a few years - the above are just extra points to bear in mind.

But uni's great, I'm sure you'll like it wherever you go :)
  • Options
    if you are always going to think "what if..." go to Warwick
  • Options
    Move away from home, you'll have to leave eventually. Might aswell do it now when you got the whole uni to back you up.

Bopz
  • Options
    i'd go to warwick. definitely.

a relationship is the worst reason in the world for choosing a bad uni - when i was going to uni, my boyfriend of the time was going to edinburgh, and i almost changed my mind to go nearer him. but in the end, i stayed down here and did the course i wanted at the uni i wanted, and it's a good job i did, because half way into my second year, we split up.

if your relationship is strong enough to survive the changes that you'll go though as a student, it'll also be strong enough to survive a bit of distance.

and if you're smart, and you get a good degree from a uni like warwick, it'll set you up for life.
  • Options
    Well I talked to my boyfriend about it last night and I think I have decided to go for Warwick. I guess if I'm away from home I'm away from home, it doesn't matter how far away it is. And I can still come home at weekends if I want to.

Thanks for all your advice though, I think you're right in saying that I should make the most of the opportunity to go to Warwick.