Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

anti-drugs commercial

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's a commercial that's being aired right now in America, not sure if it's being aired in the UK. It opens up to a backyard swimming pool with no fence around it, and a little girl about three is walking up to it with a floating ring. Then you hear a voice that says "just tell your parents that you weren't watching her because you were getting stoned."

Now I think that's a load of crap. First off, it's required by law here to have at least a three foot fence around any pool with a gate and a lock on said gate. This one didn't have one. Another thing, I honestly don't see anyone getting so stoned that they can't keep a close enough eye on their sister/brother to keep them from drowning! And if the pool had a gate she wouldn't drown anyway!

I think this campaign is overdoing it, what about you?

Also there's another one that shows a grave marker by the highway and then it goes to a teen holding his head crying. Then a voice says "this young man will go to jail for a DUI (driving under influence) he tested positive for weed" or something like that. Now have any of you been that high that you would have a wreck and kill somebody? I never have, either that or I've been smoking way too long.

Comments

• Options
    Well first of all, driving under the influence of any drug is fucking stupid, and bloody dangerous.

But, drug tests dont work in that situation because they dont test whether you were impared by the drug. Cannabis stays in your body far to long to give an accurate picture of whether you were stonned at the time.

I doubt we will get the same adverts, I presume they were made by the Partnership for a Drug Free America, a very suspect organisation if you ask me. I've been unimpressed with their work in the past.

Scare mongering like this doesnt work, but well they keep pushing it dont they. Sad really.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've been talking to a lot of Americans on bolt.com about ecstasy and they're all convinced it makes your brain look like swiss cheese - all because of a advertising campaign over they telling users ecstasy put holes in your brain.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Classic that is, the research that was based on has been widely laughed at as being totaly useless.

And even if it were acurate its not showing the brain as a solid being, it is showing the parts of the brain that are active.

It really is scary when drugs education comes down to a few very suspect brain scans that are misunderstood to show the physical brain.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Here's some UK bullshit for you.

I've been reading the mail today and came across a story headlined 'Find the Evil pushers whose ecstasy killed my sister'. The Mail would have you believe that someone force fed this girl three pills at an illegal rave and that she died from it.

No wonder people are getting the wrong idea. When will people realise that drugs arn't 'pushed' they're 'pulled' by the users, and if she'd taken three she's probably done them before and knew what she was doing, so the responsibility should lie with her - not the people she bought it off.

Only towards the end of the article does the mail admit that this girl fell over and hit her head at the rave, knocking herself out. She was taken to hospital with head injuries but died.

An article titled 'Girl dies from head injuries' might have been nearer the truth but far less exciting. :mad:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for the pills that are 37 times stronger than normal that they promised would be flooding clubland a while ago causing deaths by the thousand.

I quite liked the 'date-rape shock horror' story in the Evening Standard a while ago too. It turned out that a few oxycontin pills were found, and they could, potencially, maybe be used for date rape. This obviously meant that there was another wave of deaths heading our way.
  • Options
    theres no such thing as an anti commercial. theres publicity ...good or bad it's publicity ...they never learn do they ...or do they know exactly what their doing ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well first of all, driving under the influence of any drug is fucking stupid, and bloody dangerous.Agree

But, drug tests dont work in that situation because they dont test whether you were impared by the drug. Cannabis stays in your body far to long to give an accurate picture of whether you were stonned at the time.
    Agree again

I doubt we will get the same adverts, I presume they were made by the Partnership for a Drug Free America, a very suspect organisation if you ask me. I've been unimpressed with their work in the past.
    Yes it was, and I'm coming to the same conclusion.

Scare mongering like this doesnt work, but well they keep pushing it dont they. Sad really.

In the instance with the pool, that child could have drowned anyway because there wasn't a fence as per law requires.

What gets me is that parents who haven't been exposed to marijuana get the wrong idea. They still haven't proved that it actually kills brain cells but it would still be a better point than the ones they are trying to make.
  • Options
    You dont need to lie about cannabis, it does have quite a few down sides.

- Smoking can make you impotent.

- Use of cannabis when you are young is linked to mental illness

- Smoking cannabis is more harmful than cig's

- Cannabis makes many users apathetic, lazy and boring
  • Options
    You dont need to lie about cannabis, it does have quite a few down sides.

- Smoking can make you impotent.

- Use of cannabis when you are young is linked to mental illness

- Smoking cannabis is more harmful than cig's

- Cannabis makes many users apathetic, lazy and boring
    can we get things back into perspective here. so can and does alcohol ...prescription medicines ...being an obese burger eater. no ones trying to say it's purer than water ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    can we get things back into perspective here. so can and does alcohol ...prescription medicines ...being an obese burger eater. no ones trying to say it's purer than water ...

bongbudda was putting the health risks in perspective, you cant brush it all under the carpet and forget about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    bongbudda was putting the health risks in perspective, you cant brush it all under the carpet and forget about it.
    i agree but ...theres at least one generation before yours that spent a lot of time getting hmmered on cannabis. most of them today have antique shops and are so respectable. ...and stillm getting hammered.
  • Options
    i agree but ...theres at least one generation before yours that spent a lot of time getting hmmered on cannabis. most of them today have antique shops and are so respectable. ...and stillm getting hammered.

Yeah good for them i know what your saying, but some people in your generation must of fucked up on it.

Cannabis isnt safe for everyone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    Yeah good for them i know what your saying, but some people in your generation must of fucked up on it.

Cannabis isnt safe for everyone.
    lets get one thing straight here ...most did exactly the opposite and went on to raise families. if most people had fucked up on it ...it would have been clss A.
    all the scientific reports of the past 170 yrs would ammount to nothing.
    i accpt cannabis can come into the hands of those who would have been better off if they had never met maryjane.
    the alcohol ...the powder ...the herb ...have no powers whatsover to detrmine wether you'll flourish or diminish in so many things.
    i get a bit concerned when bong starts to make cannabis sound more threatening to youyr hgealth than maybe the reality of what else your doing is possibl6y more threarening to your health.
  • Options
    Rolly, I was just trying to point out the down sides that COULD be used in drugs education. Which ever way you look at it cannabis is harmful to some users.

But having said that I still do favour legalisation.
  • Options
    theres no such thing as an anti commercial. theres publicity ...good or bad it's publicity ...they never learn do they ...or do they know exactly what their doing ...

Yup.

Actually, I'd say that the media is more dangerous than drugs, using the power of the word to put across almost anything in a good or bad light... as for the drugs, well don't forget that a lot of America is fairly Christian and drugs go against the Bible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Yup.

Actually, I'd say that the media is more dangerous than drugs, using the power of the word to put across almost anything in a good or bad light... as for the drugs, well don't forget that a lot of America is fairly Christian and drugs go against the Bible.
    in the book of genesis ...and god gave to man all seed bearing plants ...
  • Options
    There is very little indeed about drugs of any kind what so ever in the Bible, because they werent really around at the time.

It is The Church that is against them, and that is very different.
  • Options
    There is very little indeed about drugs of any kind what so ever in the Bible, because they werent really around at the time.

It is The Church that is against them, and that is very different.
    there may not be in the bible but other writtings from egypt and later from all over the middle east and europe during roman times speak of the use of cannabis and opium at the same time biblical history was being written.
    they may well have had no ecstacy at the last supper but jesus was actualy offered some kind of drug whilst on his deathbed.
    ...AND ...the word spiritism in the new testament actualy means druggery ...the original greek aramaic word being pharmocia.
    mind altering experiences were seen as spiritism because man was seen to be venturing out of his natural domain and into that of angels and demons.
  • Options
    Some of the things the Romans got up to puts the modern rave in the shade, they went at it properly.
  • Options
    in the book of genesis ...and god gave to man all seed bearing plants ...

The Bible also says "thy body is thy temple" so it could be interpretted that drugs damage your body.
  • Options
    So does alcohol though.

The way I see it is that, obviously if you have an addiction then you are woshiping another God, in some way.

But the basic teachings of Jesus really said nothing about this topic whatso ever, so either you read into that that he didnt care, or you suggest they werent around at the time and they werent an issue.
  • Options
    So does alcohol though.

The way I see it is that, obviously if you have an addiction then you are woshiping another God, in some way.

But the basic teachings of Jesus really said nothing about this topic whatso ever, so either you read into that that he didnt care, or you suggest they werent around at the time and they werent an issue.
  • Options
    So does alcohol though.

you missed me out you miserable git on your sig ...
    bong for headmaster ...mr roll.