Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should drugs be legalised?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think they should, if you are stupid enough to take drugs at least when you buy your rat poisin/bathroom cleaner the state will get your money and it will not go to pimps or the scum of society.

Comments

• Options
    Not a particularly well thought argument. But if you are actually interested, and not merely trolling, there is a thread about it here
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59504
  • Options
    what street drug has ever contained rat poison may i ask?
  • Options
    Re: Should drugs be legalised?
    Should drugs be legalised?
    In a word: No.

At least come up with a decent argument.
  • Options
    You sure it's not you thats been on the rat poison mate?

I think they should be. Millions of people take illegal drugs, and because of that, crime rates are higher than ever, and billions of pounds ever year go towards funding terroist organisations and big-time criminals.

Legalise and you get rid of this. Plus the better quality and safer gear.
  • Options
    How can socioty benefit from drugs remaining in control by criminals and gangsters... socioty has to take responsibility, drugs will never go away

prohibition is not the solution.
  • Options
    Read my post more carefully and I think I'm right in saying it was a well thought out argument.
    It will surprise you that many people are catching on to this idear including some guy high up the police ranks (not very accurate sorry) and journalists agrre with me.#
    -
    The two points I did make were also very valid and well thought out, addicts's money wouldnt go to the scum of society, and it would go to the state.
    ^Arnt I right?;)
  • Options
    Still not a very well thought out argument.

2/10 must try harder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK
    ^Arnt I right?;)

No.

The state would put money from drugs towards rehabilitation centres for addicts of drugs like heroin, which would be put on prescription.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    You sure it's not you thats been on the rat poison mate?

I think they should be. Millions of people take illegal drugs, and because of that, crime rates are higher than ever, and billions of pounds ever year go towards funding terroist organisations and big-time criminals.

Legalise and you get rid of this. Plus the better quality and safer gear.
    Thanks some one who agrees with me
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    No.

The state would put money from drugs towards rehabilitation centres for addicts of drugs like heroin, which would be put on prescription.
    Thats what I meant.icon14.gif
  • Options
    I agree with your premise, but maybe not for the same reasons.
    But it doesn't really make for a good debate when you put it across in such a trollish incoherent manner.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    How can socioty benefit from drugs remaining in control by criminals and gangsters... society has to take responsibility, drugs will never go away

prohibition is not the solution.
    Im agreeing with this guy :thumb:
  • Options
    even if the drugs was all legalised of course there would still be a black market but at least criminal sources wont be the only source you can get your gear from.

you might say "yeah but the crims can undercut the government" maybe so but i think most people would pay that little bit extra for clean pure drugs. I know if i was a heroin addict what my choice would be!

the government should work out a system on how it can be done and pull their fingers out there arses and try and get the situation under control.

Lets not wait for america lets do this on our own and show america all this can be done.
  • Options
    I presume you made your first comment to spark a reaction Makaveli? Disappointed? :rolleyes:

And with all big debates like this it's never as clear cut as it seems. If the Government were to legalise all drugs there would be enormous implications. As with all demerit goods (cigarettes, alcohol, etc) no doubt there would be a massive tax stuck on top of the prices which can obviously be used in other areas of the economy - put into education, health care, whatever. It's just a question of wheter the positive outweigh the negative.

If they were to legalise drugs, rehabilitation centres would have to be freely available - they cannot simply legalise drugs without admitting there's already a problem there. This will no doubt cost a lot of money, and it would be pretty impractical to charge addicts for rehabilitation so this will be money spent with no means of revenue.

There's also the psychological thing. If all drugs are legal, the stimga surrounding them will be gone and they won't be seen as these evil home wreckers like they're perceived now. The nation's view on them will change and they'll be pretty much like alcohol; socially acceptable. This said, more people will begin to dabble in them, causing endless problems. People on the streets at the weekend causing problems (albeit people on ecstasy will be more likely to be hugging walls than starting fights but if drugs were legalised no doubt people will be taking mad concoctions and will easily loose control) such as violence, vandalism, road accients, theft etc. Subsequent time and resources will have to be ploughed in to try and recitfy these problems that will arise. Also, the long-term effects of certain drugs are unknown as of yet, possibly causing massive problems in the distant future, meaning more money ploughed into health care, and in the short-term no doubt the amount of users admitted into hospitals will increase, costing yet more money. Regardless this will mean wasted resources in the sense of the labourforce having massive impacts and spill over effects.

This said, like people have mentioned, if drugs were legalised there would be a huge black market disappear, the billions of pounds passing hand every year will go the government rather than criminals and gangsters, the purity of drugs will no doubt increase as we can be sure of a reliable source meaning the number of accidents in ratio with the amount of drugs consumed will decrease and a lot of the myths surrounding drugs will be shattered and hopefully, people would be educated properly and efficiently not just scare-mongering. But then, a system would have to be introduced to keep records of drugs bought to try and recognise problems and possible addictions before they arise. Addiction would rocket, regardless - I'm certain there's a fair amount of people out there who could get their hands on drugs like cocaine and heroin safely and legally, they'd abuse these and would cause themselves, the environment and the economy problems. A system of observing drugs consumed by the individuals would need a lot of maintenance, and therefore money.

Like bongbudda said recently, it would be far better for the government to assess each drug individually and come to a conclusion weighing up the positive and negative for each individual substance; sweeping across the boards and legalising all drugs would be a mistake, in the short-term at least. In the very long-term the government would probably be able to rectify all problems that would arise and devise a system of maintaining an equilibrium, but until then all hell would break loose.

I think firstly, drugs like MDMA should be considered, ie. drugs which may possibly serve a purpose for obvious reasons. A good scheme in my eyes would be to have specified registered 'dealers' with a lot of security to prevent crime, and a card scheme introduced (I can't remember where I read this but it seemed a very good idea) with all the customers details. This way monitoring use and possibly abuse can stop the problems as they arise.

The debate as far as this topic is concerned could go on endlessly, some people feel passionately whatever end of the spectrum they're supporting. Personally, I would love to see clean and legal drugs available for me, but thinking realistically I think this would be a big mistake. No hasty decisions can be made as before any decision is finalised every avenue that it will affect has to be investigated - like I said, the consequences of legalisation would be huge.

Sorry for the essay. I guess I'm just bored.
  • Options
    I agree with all that essay zoma.

I agree each drug should be assessed individually, Every single drug would never be legalised in one go i should imagine they would be made legal one by one starting with the obvious one cannabis!

Most people consider cannabis the most harmless drug of all so i see no problem with public opinion on that but trying to legalise chemicals well thats a different story! imagine the headlines from scare mongering tabloid trash "killer ecstasy to be legalised has the country gone mad"

Whatever happens in this legalisation crap its all years off i doubt im even gonna see it in my lifetime and im 22.

All i have to say for the law at the moment is its a cop out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    you might say "yeah but the crims can undercut the government"

I think the government would undercut the crims actually.
  • Options
    No, 'drugs' should not be legalised.

To suggest wholesale legalisation, to my mind, is stupid. To over night supply anyone who wanted it drugs like cocaine would lead to massive problems.

The laws need to be changed slowly, step by step. Cannabis first, then moving onto MDMA and other similar drugs. At the same time obviously treatment for addicts need to be improved.

And obviously there is the major problem of the UN Convention on Narcotic Drugs 1972 (is 72 or 73?) which would cause us big problems were we to ever try and legalise some drugs.
    And as everyone knows International treaties are always above national law.
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    I presume you made your first comment to spark a reaction Makaveli? Disappointed?
    Nope I succeeded beyond my wildest and most imaginitive expectations. Why are you defending people who take drugs? Do you care about the tax payers money they waste? Drug addicts are the scum of the planet.
    Don't you see the trouble they cause? No beacuse your proberly rich and live in a nice neighbourhood with out a drug in sight.
    Stop acting so childish because I made my point in one line where as it took you a whole essay.
    "To suggest wholesale legalisation, to my mind, is stupid. To over night supply anyone who wanted it drugs like cocaine would lead to massive problems.
    The laws need to be changed slowly, step by step. Cannabis first, then moving onto MDMA and other similar drugs. At the same time obviously treatment for addicts need to be improved."
    Cannaibs is the only drug that shouldnt be legalised, it should have stayed at class B.
    Most of the crime in this country is drug related. If drugs were to be legalised they would be very cheap so all the criminals in the trade would be out of the job and crime would fall as people wouldnt need to steal and beat people up to get the money.
    Drugs make billions and billions a year and that means millions and millions of hospitals or whatever you want.
  • Options
    I must say I'm quite confused by your arguement.

You mention about how drug addicts are 'scum' and how much trouble they cause yet you are arguing for full legalisation?

I presume you realise that only a tiny percentage of people who use illegal drugs are addicted.

Why leave cannabis as Class B?

As for the tax payers money that drug users 'waste', thats an interesting idea, alcohol taxation brings in a varst amount of money, but about 70% of that goes straight out again in the costs the abuse of alcohol causes.
  • Options
    "You mention about how drug addicts are 'scum' and how much trouble they cause yet you are arguing for full legalisation?"

The trouble they cause is in crimes they do to get the money, see my last post.
  • Options
    Do you really think we can trust the public with full supply of drugs like cocaine?

I would suggest that doing this would unleash trouble on a scale that would be difficult to imagine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I agree with your premise, but maybe not for the same reasons.
    But it doesn't really make for a good debate when you put it across in such a trollish incoherent manner.

The word 'premise' means 'reason'...

Sorry, had to try and be smart!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Do you really think we can trust the public with full supply of drugs like cocaine?

I would suggest that doing this would unleash trouble on a scale that would be difficult to imagine.

^We could allways hope that people wouldnt be stupid enough to buy and use in them first place.
    I can't see people running out of school with there hands in the air screaming with joy that drugs have just been legalised, most people arnt stupid enough to go near them.
    Decent people like myself would stay well clear.
  • Options
    ~As ive said before, if they ever legalised and made cocaine available i would shoot the bloody PM myself. That would make him more of a mockery than i think he already is. If i could buy cocaine legally, if i could buy it 100% pure everytime, id be on it all day every day, id be in more of a mess with cocaine than i already am. I think im pretty good with the stuff but given a chance like that... it would be the death of me
  • Options
    Makaveli, im decent. Im an intelligent person. Have the potential to do whatever i put my mind to, as Budda has said beofre some of the most famous people in history have used drugs. Does that make them stupid and in-decent? I object to anybody saying those who do drugs arent decent. Thats very closed minded, there are many reasons people do drugs, and its not all due to ignorance.
  • Options
    If cocaine were legal the number of users is bound to go up, how many 'lads' out for an evening would give it a try because it was easy to get and cheap? The answer is lots, they would cain it with the alcohol and do themselves serious damage, given that alcohol and cocaine mix together and are more addictive and more dangerous.

But, even if the number of users didnt go up, many users like Minxy here would use more because now they would have access to better qaulity at cheaper prices.

Heroin, yes you can prescribe this because it is, within reason a finite addiction, cocaine, there is no end to it, you can keep snorting till your heart explodes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK
    Drug addicts are the scum of the planet.
    Do you not think that the governments who don't help those addicts, who allow them to become addicted in the first place and whose first instinct to lock them up rather than give them all the help and support they need are really the scum of the planet? Rather than the innocent people who have become addicted.

to add.. i dont mean it to sound like the addicts are victims, i know its their own doing. But really, that doesnt make them scum, just misguided.
  • Options
    I was going to post a decent reply to this, but I checked this guys profile first... DOB: May 2, 1988 Making him what, 15... I honestly doubt he can base any of his arguments on anything concrete, nor back them up, so I aint gonna waste my time.
  • Options
    I'm always somewhat curious as to how people can hate drug users so much.

You know who I think are the scum of the planet.

- Dictators who send thousands to their death

- People who torture prisoners because of their political views

- People who sell weapons to war zones, knowing they will be used by child soldiers

- The people who train said child soldiers

And on a more mundane scale,

- Drunk drivers

- People who stumble out of a pub at 11pm looking for a fight just because they are full of rage over their wasted life

- People who persecute gays because for some reason they see it as 'wrong'.

The list goes on. Yes many drug addicts do cause crime, and yes they do damage themselves and their families, but I'm really not sure how you can hate them.
  • Options
    Proof that drugs education in schools in this country is TERRIBLE. I suggest, Makaveli, that you keep reading this forum and lea\rn about the social effects of drugs, or go to erowid.com and educate yourself on the truth about drugs, because your school has obviously done a terrible job.
  • Options
    Minxy; its www.erowid.org