Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Accomodation at Nottingham uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm going to Nottingham Uni this year but am gonna be travelling when the accomodation details come through to decide what hall to go into, so have gotta tell someone in my family now what to write down.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the best halls?I'm studying Psychology if that makes a difference to location or whatever.
I've visited once but just looked around the campus, didn't really have time to look at the accomodation.

Think I was recommended Cripps or Hugh Stewart? Apparently they are quite near where most of my lectures will be and are generally good halls.

Anyone know anything about it? Thanks x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It all depends on how mixed up you want to be and what you want from your accomidation.
    If your sociable find the biggest halls of residence, if youd prefere somewhere quieter go to a smaller one. Distance from your building wont be a problem, just try not to pick the furthest one away! There are many benefits from a 20 min walk to uni, keeps the beer gut away, sort of and it wakes you up/sobers you up.
    Self catetered is the daddy cos everyone dosses in the kitchen and people male food for ya so you get to try all new stuff.

Bopz
  • Options
    I'm in Willoughby, .NK's in Broadgate (self catering) and so is Pinksomethingorather. They both love Broadgate, the self-catering flats (kitchen and living area shared between six, I think), and most people who are in the complex seem happy with it. Equally, most people who are in halls are happy with their hall. In Willoughby, out of 300 or so people, we've only had a handful transfer to a different hall.

All the halls are good, and you shouldn't worry too much about which one you end up in. Even in terms of proximity - unless you're in Cripps - you'll be about the same distance from all your classes. If you want a good selector, go with "nicest bars": Lenton & Wortley, Nightingale and Ancaster have all got really good ones.

Oh, and avoid Willoughby. It truly is a shithole.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    I'm in Willoughby, .NK's in Broadgate (self catering) and so is Pinksomethingorather. They both love Broadgate, the self-catering flats (kitchen and living area shared between six, I think), and most people who are in the complex seem happy with it. ... All the halls are good, and you shouldn't worry too much about which one you end up in. Even in terms of proximity - unless you're in Cripps - you'll be about the same distance from all your classes.

Shh you of little knowledge :p:D

To be close to psychology you don't want to be Broadgate, Willoughby or Cavendish - most of the lectures are in the QMC which is a good thirty minute walk away (about a fifteen minute walk from psychology). I do it every day and it's beginning to get a little tedious...far too much exercise! There is a free bus, but it never seems to turn up or it's full. However, Broadgate, Willoughby and Cavendish are all close to Beeston, the nearest town. If you're in any of the other halls then it's a good trek in to the city or in to Beeston.

I didn't think you could actually choose the hall you go to here...just University Park, Broadgate Park (makes us sound like we're miles away...I can see Turtle's hall from my kitchen window), Jubilee Campus (which is probably closer to the QMC than Broadgate and has nicer self-catered flats...though they're more expensive) or Sutton Boddington (they have cows...other than that it's in the middle of nowhere). You can choose a room type so you can always choose a room type that is predominantly in the hall you want (if that makes sense!)

If you apply for Broadgate Park, beware that by applying for standard plus you are paying a lot of extra money for an ironing board and a microwave... I'm in a standard flat and have a larger kitchen than all the standard plus flats I've seen... Broadgate's in a bit of trouble at the moment - we're currently owned by Jarvis, and to be frank, they're a bit crap. But management is being handed back to the uni at the end of this year so things will be better by the time you get here! They're building a lot of new flats too, which should be nice, although the one I'm in isn't bad at all.

I'm really enjoying Psych by the way :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by .NK
    Shh you of little knowledge :p:D

To be close to psychology you don't want to be Broadgate, Willoughby or Cavendish - most of the lectures are in the QMC which is a good thirty minute walk away (about a fifteen minute walk from psychology). I do it every day and it's beginning to get a little tedious...far too much exercise! There is a free bus, but it never seems to turn up or it's full. However, Broadgate, Willoughby and Cavendish are all close to Beeston, the nearest town. If you're in any of the other halls then it's a good trek in to the city or in to Beeston.

I didn't think you could actually choose the hall you go to here...just University Park, Broadgate Park (makes us sound like we're miles away...I can see Turtle's hall from my kitchen window), Jubilee Campus (which is probably closer to the QMC than Broadgate and has nicer self-catered flats...though they're more expensive) or Sutton Boddington (they have cows...other than that it's in the middle of nowhere). You can choose a room type so you can always choose a room type that is predominantly in the hall you want (if that makes sense!)

If you apply for Broadgate Park, beware that by applying for standard plus you are paying a lot of extra money for an ironing board and a microwave... I'm in a standard flat and have a larger kitchen than all the standard plus flats I've seen... Broadgate's in a bit of trouble at the moment - we're currently owned by Jarvis, and to be frank, they're a bit crap. But management is being handed back to the uni at the end of this year so things will be better by the time you get here! They're building a lot of new flats too, which should be nice, although the one I'm in isn't bad at all.

I'm really enjoying Psych by the way :D

Well, yes. There's all that too.

Cept it's Sutton Bonnington. Boddington is a type of beer, that's, oddly, advertised using a cow too.

Stop spying on me. This is why I always close my curtains! :p

Ancaster's at our end of campus too. Tsss, how could you forget that? :p

And yadda, yadda, yadda. I have lots of knowledge. I just choose not to display it.
  • Options
    Well, yes. There's all that too.

Cept it's Sutton Bonnington. Boddington is a type of beer, that's, oddly, advertised using a cow too.

Stop spying on me. This is why I always close my curtains! :p

Ancaster's at our end of campus too. Tsss, how could you forget that? :p

And yadda, yadda, yadda. I have lots of knowledge. I just choose not to display it.

My friend at Leeds is staying in Boddington hall :D

I'm not spying on you! :p

I forgot about Ancaster...it's just Lancaster spelt wrong anyhow...

:p
  • Options
    Cheers guys...tis very useful.

So what do you have to fill in on the accomodation forms when they come through?
    I'm only asking cos I'm gonna have to leave that task to one of the members of my incapable family while I'm away.
    Is it just a case of writing down the diffrent campuses in your order of preference and what type of room you'd like, whether you smoke etc?

I'll probably go catered due to my laziness, although if self-catering is quite a bit cheaper I may go for that. The parents have agreed to let me have an en-suite room..after much persuasion..are many of the rooms en-suite at all? God I sound like a right rich posh sod..really..I'm not at all! I just like bathrooms :crazyeyes

Ummm so looks like University Park is everyones first choice so guess I'll put that one down. Think when I visited they said Jubilee campus was a bit isolated? I dunno, any more so than Broadgate Park? Forget that boddington one, I see enough cows down here everyday in the countryside.

.NK Glad to hear you are enjoying Psychology..I didn't do it for A level or anything so guess I'll be thrown in at the deep end a bit.
    Nor did I do any form of science-type subject. ah well.
    They said on the induction that in your first year you choose a load of other subjects to do alongside Psychology..so whats the choice like for this? Sounds like GCSE's all over again...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda

So what do you have to fill in on the accomodation forms when they come through?
    I'm only asking cos I'm gonna have to leave that task to one of the members of my incapable family while I'm away.
    Is it just a case of writing down the diffrent campuses in your order of preference and what type of room you'd like, whether you smoke etc?

I'll probably go catered due to my laziness, although if self-catering is quite a bit cheaper I may go for that. The parents have agreed to let me have an en-suite room..after much persuasion..are many of the rooms en-suite at all? God I sound like a right rich posh sod..really..I'm not at all! I just like bathrooms :crazyeyes

Ummm so looks like University Park is everyones first choice so guess I'll put that one down. Think when I visited they said Jubilee campus was a bit isolated? I dunno, any more so than Broadgate Park? Forget that boddington one, I see enough cows down here everyday in the countryside.

.NK Glad to hear you are enjoying Psychology..I didn't do it for A level or anything so guess I'll be thrown in at the deep end a bit.
    They said on the induction that in your first year you choose a load of other subjects to do alongside Psychology..so whats the choice like for this? Sounds like GCSE's all over again...

From memory, the main part is simply choosing what type of accomodation you want - self-catered, catered, en-suite/shared bathroom between two/shared batheroom between up to 30 or something, and choosing your campus - you do *not* want Jubilee, and no, Broadgate's just across the road from campus. Literally. I can see .NK. Well, could, if my window faced the right way. And she didn't keep closing the curtains...:p

No, Jubilee's good for Business and Comp Sci, new stuff. Psych is on University Park, and you defintely want either in halls (catered) or Broadgate. If you do choose self-catering, make sure you specify Broadgate, and not Raleigh Park, which is in a pretty dodgy area. Beyond that, it's pretty much up to the Accomodation Gods.
  • Options

You can do it online instead and they won't send you any forms. I did it at the end of March last year, but I don't know when it first comes online. It's kinda easier that way cos it won't let you choose non-valid options - it's all drop down menus and tick boxes.

I didn't do psych A-level either - it's really not needed :) It may be an idea to go over some basic biology again though (ie nerve cells, action potentials) if you did it for GCSE and not A-level. But they do assume that people didn't do science at A-level (I only did biology).

You have to choose 40 credits worth of modules outside of psychology for the year - usually 20 per semester, although all the psych exams are in May/June so it's best to do 30 credits worth in Autumn and just concentrate on psych. It's hard to find things that fit with the timetable, especially as subjects such as sociology and English fill up quickly. I'm doing philosophy (which has to fit with the psych timetable cos people do joint psych and phil) which is interesting - my optional modules last year were hard but this semester they're a lot easier :) You cannot do them in psychology cos you have to do all the modules the department offers anyway. Have a look at the Catalogue of Modules for the full list of subjects and the modules they offer.

Hope that's of some help! :D
  • Options
    I can see .NK. Well, could, if my window faced the right way. And she didn't keep closing the curtains...:p

So you're the one with the binoculars....? :p
  • Options

As Turtle said, basically room type, smoking/non-smoking and, for halls, mixed/single sex corridors (all the flats in Broadgate are single sex, but the blocks are mixed)

Apparently the online forms go up on April 1st this year.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/uhow.htm
  • Options
    Originally posted by .NK
    As Turtle said, basically room type, smoking/non-smoking and, for halls, mixed/single sex corridors (all the flats in Broadgate are single sex, but the blocks are mixed)

Apparently the online forms go up on April 1st this year.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/uhow.htm

Ah thanks you're a star, thats really helpful.
    Will give my dad the site address and get him to fill it on online at the beginning of April. I might even do it myself, will be in Australia at the time so can get to the internet pretty easily.

Ooooh quite looking forward to it all now, just hoping there's gonna be a mix of people there. I know there will be, it's just I went to my subject induction day and the majority of the visitors there with me seemed kind of young and well..sheltered if you know what I mean?! I don't know..I guess it's cos its a pretty highly rated university now and there quite a few oxford/cambridge reject types there compared to the other unis I visited.
    Also getting a little worried about the work I'm gonna have to do! I fluked my way though A levels with not much effort in those 2 years, just alot of revision books and pro-plus. Ahh nevermind, I'll be alright..will just have to find some drive to work from somewhere, this year out has made me even worse!
  • Options
    Will give my dad the site address and get him to fill it on online at the beginning of April. I might even do it myself, will be in Australia at the time so can get to the internet pretty easily.

Ooooh quite looking forward to it all now, just hoping there's gonna be a mix of people there. I know there will be, it's just I went to my subject induction day and the majority of the visitors there with me seemed kind of young and well..sheltered if you know what I mean?! I don't know..I guess it's cos its a pretty highly rated university now and there quite a few oxford/cambridge reject types there compared to the other unis I visited.
    Also getting a little worried about the work I'm gonna have to do! I fluked my way though A levels with not much effort in those 2 years, just alot of revision books and pro-plus. Ahh nevermind, I'll be alright..will just have to find some drive to work from somewhere, this year out has made me even worse!

Now, I really shouldn't be doing this...

But work wise, uni's a doss. Well, first year is anyway. I had an absolutely apathetic, lethargy inducing year out, and the motivation to get out of bed in the morning wasn't there, let alone do mentally taxing work. But so long as you're happy with your subject choice, you'll get into uni pretty easily.

As for a mix of people, there's plenty enough. Whilst I'm missing people with a similar background to me, I know that there's more than enough well travelled people, from all backgrounds and areas of the country. It's amazing how much you grow up in a year, too.

You'll enjoy it. We all have, I've absolutely no regrets about choosing Nottingham, and would do so again. :) So keep looking forward to it, you'll have to meet me and .NK when you arrive.
  • Options

Hehe, thankyou :D

That's a good idea - I can't remember the exact format of the online forms so it'll be best if you see them yourself.

Young and sheltered is exactly the description I'd give the people on my course! I have no idea how most of them got the grades to get into Notts....they may be clever but they have no common sense. In my psycholinguistics lecture I had to explain to the girl next to me the difference between a verb and a noun :rolleyes:

Also getting a little worried about the work I'm gonna have to do! I fluked my way though A levels with not much effort in those 2 years, just alot of revision books and pro-plus.

Most people on my course seem to just scrape through the lab reports and coursework essays and do no extra work. Mind you, we haven't had any exams yet so I don't know if they'll actually pass the year (I hope not, I've been working really hard and I'll be annoyed if they pass having done no work!)

I'm finding the work is easier than A-level work. There's more of it, but it's easier (if that makes sense!). There's very few bits of set work that are marked. We only have tutorials once every two weeks, and the most they can give you is a practice essay which doesn't count towards the end of year mark anyway. There's one lab report every two weeks and three 2,000 word essays over the whole year. Plenty of time to get work from lectures done (or not, as most people don't seem to...).
  • Options

You'll enjoy it. We all have, I've absolutely no regrets about choosing Nottingham, and would do so again. :) So keep looking forward to it, you'll have to meet me and .NK when you arrive.

Definitely :D
  • Options
    Thanks again guys, you've put my mind at rest about a few things and yeah we should all meet up once I'm there!

One more question though, and it's really really trivial, but as you have to put down whether you're a smoker/non-smoker on the accomodation form, do they divide you up? Like seperate corridors for smokers or something? I just wondered how it worked, I know when my brother was at uni it was all smoking, well you could smoke in your room but not in the corridors etc.
  • Options
    Thanks again guys, you've put my mind at rest about a few things and yeah we should all meet up once I'm there!

One more question though, and it's really really trivial, but as you have to put down whether you're a smoker/non-smoker on the accomodation form, do they divide you up? Like seperate corridors for smokers or something? I just wondered how it worked, I know when my brother was at uni it was all smoking, well you could smoke in your room but not in the corridors etc.

Heh, yeah, you do. Bad luck. :) Either come clean, or give up.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever in halls - they're all non-smoking, except the JCR and bar. But a large number of people smoke in their bedrooms, with a sock over the smoke detector. It's a high price to pay if you get caught though - £100 fine or something.
  • Options
    Heh, yeah, you do. Bad luck. :) Either come clean, or give up.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever in halls - they're all non-smoking, except the JCR and bar. But a large number of people smoke in their bedrooms, with a sock over the smoke detector. It's a high price to pay if you get caught though - £100 fine or something.

Is the JCR the Junior Common Room? I don't really mind, I hate stale smoke lingering around and stuff so would rather it was all non-smoking..I think..
    So I wonder why they bother asking you? I guess it's more for the people who want accomodation in flats.
  • Options
    But a large number of people smoke in their bedrooms, with a sock over the smoke detector. It's a high price to pay if you get caught though - £100 fine or something. [/B]

I've heard this one before - does a sock really work?
  • Options
    Oooh is it true there's no space to take your car? I mean I'm not tooo bothered, I know I won't really need it, but it'd be useful for going to other unis to visit friends etc and to take belongings to and from uni.
  • Options
    Oooh is it true there's no space to take your car? I mean I'm not tooo bothered, I know I won't really need it, but it'd be useful for going to other unis to visit friends etc and to take belongings to and from uni.

Yes, socks really do work. Rooms have been seriously hotboxed numerous times with no results...

And yep, you don't want to be bringing your car. A brave few do, but there's a serious risk of being clamped. Largely depends on which hall you're in - Cavendish, Willoughby and Ancaster are okay and have pretty under-used car parks, but others always seem to have clamped cars in them.
  • Options
    Yes, socks really do work. Rooms have been seriously hotboxed numerous times with no results...

In Broadgate it varies. In my flat there's no smoke detectors in our rooms or the kitchen, just a normal house-type smoke detector in the hallway. You can easily smoke in your room or the kitchen without it setting off. In our flat we managed to burn down some of the kitchen without the smoke alarm going off. We were then accused of stealing the battery out of it...but that's another story :D In my boyfriend's flat however (he's also in Broadgate) they have individual detectors in each room and the kitchen and hallways which set off a proper alarm when they detect smoke. If you burn toast the whole building is evacuated.
    And yep, you don't want to be bringing your car. A brave few do, but there's a serious risk of being clamped. Largely depends on which hall you're in - Cavendish, Willoughby and Ancaster are okay and have pretty under-used car parks, but others always seem to have clamped cars in them.

I've seen a lot of clamped cars recently :D

Broadgate has basically got rid of all of its car parking spaces anyway, but you can park in Beeston and walk like two minutes to the flat. A lot of people in Broadgate seemed to have brought their cars with them but they're really not needed. A couple of people I know who've brought them don't use them except for emergencies (which so far have consisted of having to go to A+E for cutting her finger and going to Sainsbury's ten minutes before it closes :rolleyes: ) After navigating the horrible one way systems of Beeston and Nottingham you'll wish you'd never driven a car here. It's bad enough being on a bus and trying to get your head around where it's going.