Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girls who hate their bodies when there's nothing wrong with them. Why?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lipsy
    it was VOGUE, a predominantly female-read magazine who actually made up the term 'cellulite'!! before then no one even gave a shit, it was just a natural thing that the vast majority of women get.

agreed, and now many women are doing everything they possibly can to try and get rid of it.

it still doesn't mean you should walk around wearing clothes that show it off :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by **grunge gurl**
    Well I have 2 disgusting scars. One is just under my eye that I cover up with make up and the other is on my thigh. These were all due to accidents with animals and they make me feel sssssssooooooooooooooooooooooo self consious you would not believe. :(

Oh yea, and I have a scar on my head under my hair which if I was a boy and had short hair would cover most of the top of my head.

yeah i just want to make it clear that I'm not calling people's scars, marks and blemishes 'disgusting', I'm just sayin that i find MY scars disgusting. thats because they're the result of extensive surgery and i scar really bad anyway so......yup they're gross! but really, i kno loads of ppl who love their scars.......its just a personal thing.
  • Options
    I've got a scar behind my ear, it doesn't bother me. You can only see it when I've got my hair up and it's faded quite a bit. I only had the operation in July so it has time yet. I'm glad it's behind my ear though.
  • Options
    I hate some of my scars but not others. The scars that have been caused by me I hate beyond belief, and there is a huge scar on my knee from falling off my bike yeeeeeeeeeears ago that is just . . . ewwwwwwww. But my hernia scar (which is still there after 15 years :thumb: ) I love, purely 'cause of where it is heh!

*feels like a bit of a tart!*
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    my hernia scar [/SIZE]

Am I being dumb by wondering what the hell a hernia scar is?! :confused:

*feels very stupid*
  • Options
    Ah, i do know what a hernia scar is (well, in principle anyway!), but I can't pretend to know where one is!

Hmmm, from reading everyone's comments I've come to the conclusion that lack of self esteem for looks comes from women... it is women who produce the magazines and who are the driving force behind thin women on magazine covers. I think i read somewhere that women's magazines don't sell as well if they have a bloke on the front instead of a woman... anyway... However, I guess that men are ultimately behind it all even if they don't mean or want to be... we are, after all, trying to make ourselves attractive for them in the end...

Finally, just to balance it out a bit (and I think I am probably the first female on here to say this)... I am happy with my body!! :eek: I can honestly say that there is pretty much nothing I would change about my body :D this doesn't mean I think I'm perfect, I'm just happy with what I've got :) (Before you all start getting annoyed with me, there is lots of stuff that I don't like about myself, it just happens not to be my body! Don't even get me started on my hair!!)
  • Options
    I'm actually alright with the way I am now.

Before, I was all flat tummied and such, with NO boobs and I thought I was happy then. I've filled out and got myself a JLO bum and curves to match. I feel more womanly than I ever have. I can't deny I'd love a flat stomach, but I don't think it looks THAT natural, and I'm not that into making the effort to get one, I've been 9 and a half stone now for like, a year and I've not moved up or down. I'm pleased.

I like Christina Aguilera's body, she has some delicious curves going on, but she's still not really heavy, her hips spill over her jeans a bit, and she looks fabulous. Same for Beyoncé; girls got her curves goin' oooooooooooooooooooooooon. :yum:

:hyper:

ETA - Isn't Halle Berry an African American?
  • Options
    Originally posted by **grunge gurl**
    Am I being dumb by wondering what the hell a hernia scar is?! :confused:

*feels very stupid*

A hernia is where part of your intestines pokes through the wall of your stomach (I think) and is caused by strain etc. Babies get it a lot, and I had one when I was 7 weeks. I think Joey had one once in Friends. It's at the top of your leg, kinda in a bit (at the top of your pubic area basically).

With mine you can only see it if I'm not wearing any underwear!
  • Options
    in my opinion i hate my body, so why would i want anyone to see it naked?
  • Options
    I'm not happy with mine as I see other girls with better bodies than mine and I see men looking at them. I suppose its jealousy. Its a horrid feeling but through no fault of my own.
  • Options
    I will admit that it's all me and my insecurity. I used to be smaller as well and had many people come up and tell me that I should model. So I did, now almost ten years later, many pounds more and a baby, I feel like shit. Even knowing that mirrors add pounds and all doesn't help. Now, saying that, I do not starve myself. I still eat reasonably healthy, the same as I always have. Soon as this kid gets a little older and off my ass, I'll get out and do something about it. We just moved into an upstairs apartment and she hasn't quite mastered stairs, so that should help a little, maybe. Hopefully. I'd love to have a bicycle and one of those seats for babies. But I'm broke so, oh well.

Now you know that posting my pic is sooooo out of the question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    in my opinion i hate my body, so why would i want anyone to see it naked?

i know the feeling!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I see what you mean, but the door swings both ways. [some] Girls are quick to say things like 'Ooh. Johnny Depp is so fit' or 'Ooh, look at Brad Pitt on that poster', and they are quick to assume that guys aren't bothered.

i agree with what capacity says, not all fellas have the body of brad pitt or orlando bloom but girls swoon all over these fellows and expect the everyday man to have there bodies. its the same for girls. its only normal to be self confident but the thing that annoys mr wobble and myself and im sure have th epopulation is when people think theyre unattractive when in fact theyre not. i blame the media, but i'll admit i do like attractive girls.
  • Options
    When you live with your body for god knows how long you notice those little imperfections, then you see the media and whatever scrutinizing the tiniest 'flaws' in celebrities appearances, the kind of appearance you'd love to have and for some people who are desperately insecure what's gonna happen?

I'm the happiest I've ever been with my body. My bum's a bit too big but it's not enormous, plenty of men love it. I used to have boobs but since I lost weight I've lost a chunk of those, but I've not lost attention because of it, if anything I get shitloads more than I did before. :p I have people from school who I run into in clubs and bars actually shocked at how different and 'gorgeous' I am (not to sound big headed cos I don't think I'm gorgeous :p ).

And earlier when I thought about the guys I sleep with or see naked, I realised that I don't think 'Oh my gosh, his stomach is just a bit TOO flabby' or think any of the shit I think about my body. I just enjoy it.

And women don't expect men to have the bodies of Brad Pitt or Orlando Bloom, have you fucking seen Brad Pitt's body? I've never seen a guy in real life with that kinda body and would never expect to.
  • Options
    I was at my parents house over the weekend clearing out my old bedroom and I found all my old diaries, letters notebooks etc and i was amazed by how insecure i was as a teenager even though I undoubtedly had a better body then than I do now.

Now I am much more secure with what I look like but I know what i can change (by bothering to watch what i eat and doing some exercise) and what I can't without major surgury (and even then we are never going to look perfect).

I do agree though that how girls perceive themselves has more to do with other girls - unless your incredibly thin or dramaticaly overweight a bloke is unlikely to care what you look like - he is just bound to be extactic that your with him. On the other hand I am totally paranoied about getting naked in front of women because i know they will judge you far to much (I am guilty of this myself). Classic example was when i was on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world with a load of my girl friends and they all went topless but I just couldn't, but I knew if I was with a bunch of my boy friends it wouldnt' have been a problem.... all very strange.

Sxxx
  • Options
    i hate my body(well, i like my lips and my eyes but not much else), and after years of people telling me i was fat and stupid, i have to remind myself contantly that i may not have the body i would like, but i do have a beautiful mind and if i use it in the right way i can make the world my own. my last boyfriend said that he like the way that i wasn't stick thin, because there was more to hold on to (this actually pissed me off and was one of the reasons i ended it, but...) some guys like more flesh and others don't just as not everyone likes my very odd and sometimes slighty perversed fetishes:rolleyes:

Luby
  • Options
    Personally, my own body repulses me. I've been physially sick from standing and looking at it too long. And I don't think that other people's comments have much to do with it, but media images, in my opinion, do. I did my sociology coursework on this, and it does have quite a big role. It's more the image of larger size people as frumpy etc that gets me down, and the stigma attatched to it. By man tells me he thinks I'm perfect the way I am, but I think once an idea is lodgedin a persons head it's quite difficult to dislodge it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Personally, my own body repulses me. I've been physially sick from standing and looking at it too long. And I don't think that other people's comments have much to do with it, but media images, in my opinion, do.

same for me. except maybe not repulses, when im in clothes its not that bad, when it gets down to the bare necessities i hate my body