Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girls who hate their bodies when there's nothing wrong with them. Why?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by goose

My bird asked me why I don't walk around with no shirt more often in summer.

"Well, all I see when I switch on a TV is blokes with big pecs and 6 packs. Same in magazines. I just don't feel comfortable walking around with no shirt on when I don't look like that"
    Yeah, I feel the same. I'm not fat, but I'm not toned up either. In fact my belly is a little flabby. I should do some excercise to tone it, and my arms (which an ex said were skinny). So I don't feel comfortable going out in the Summer without a shirt on. :( So it does work both ways.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Yeah, but you are veeeeeeeery thin.

I am thin yes, I'm a size 6, but I'm in proportion, I'm only 5ft3 so I'm just generally small. I am not anorexic or have any kind of eating problem, I am completely normal thankyou. And I do not have to post any kind of picture to get your approval :rolleyes: I was just trying to point out that guys like you making comments is what makes girls feel that they look like shit sometimes. Well done.

And Kermit, it honestly is blokes comments that make me feel self concious. Don't tell me it's not, I think I should know, being a girl and all :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah, I feel the same. I'm not fat, but I'm not toned up either. In fact my belly is a little flabby. I should do some excercise to tone it, and my arms (which an ex said were skinny). So I don't feel comfortable going out in the Summer without a shirt on. :( So it does work both ways.

God you sound so fat, you're gross. You're not the perfect male body type now go to the gym and lose weight :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I was just trying to point out that guys like you making comments is what makes girls feel that they look like shit sometimes. Well done.
    You're taking this all a bit personally, and a bit hard, aren't you? :confused:
    Yes, I know you're only ickle, but that pic showed that you do have a very thin waist (even going on proportion). :p

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    God you sound so fat, you're gross. You're not the perfect male body type now go to the gym and lose weight :rolleyes: :p
    I'm on my way! *jogs down to gym* I'll have to come down to Bournemouth and freak you out with my gross wobblyness! *wobble wobble wobble* :D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    You're taking this all a bit personally, and a bit hard, aren't you? :confused:
    Yes, I know you're only ickle, but that pic showed that you do have a very thin waist (even going on proportion). :p

Not taking it personally, just using it as an example for the question that you asked. You wanted to know why most girls hate their bodies, with people making comments like that it's no wonder really is it? And I just think it was very rude of you to make comments like that. If a girl was worried she was fat and posted a picture would you reply telling her that she did indeed look too fat? I don't think you would.

Don't worry I'm not going to go and top myself over a comment you've made, the good comments I get from people outweigh the bad ones. Just trying to show you the answer to your own question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Naz
    because it doesn't matter if 20 people tell me i;m pretty, if one person tells me i'm ugly, that is what i will focus on because that is what i feel is the truth.

:yes: definitely! You can have a whole load of people saying 'you're not fat, you're not ugly' etc etc, but if just ONE person decides to be an immature little twat (and there are a great deal of those at our school :rolleyes: ) and tell you otherwise then you just fixate on that one comment until it consumes you and you can't think of anything else but that :confused: Ok, so maybe that's a little exaggerated, but it's still true. Hmmmm I was gonna say something else but it was basically repeating myself so I'll shurrup now!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    :yes: definitely! You can have a whole load of people saying 'you're not fat, you're not ugly' etc etc, but if just ONE person decides to be an immature little twat (and there are a great deal of those at our school :rolleyes: ) and tell you otherwise then you just fixate on that one comment until it consumes you and you can't think of anything else but that :confused: Ok, so maybe that's a little exaggerated, but it's still true. Hmmmm I was gonna say something else but it was basically repeating myself so I'll shurrup now!

That is very true indeed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SeventhWave
    halle berry....a killer of a tan

shes black, dear ;)
  • Options
    I refuse to let all the girls on here believe that guys have a big influence on this ;p. I hear all this about one guy in 20 saying you don't look good. Do girls never do that or something? I'm not saying I approve of that guy saying negative things, but as if guys aren't blamed enough for this sort of crud, people try and hang this up on them too?

If a girl that a guy liked was to tell him that he was a ming chong he would be just as devastated as any girl.
  • Options
    A very interesting debate going on here, so I think I'll add a little to keep things going.

I've been with my girlfriend for about 7 weeks now, and I hate to say it, no matter how true it is. She isn't perfect. No one's perfect. Nothing will ever stop me thinking I'm less perfect than she is though. So it wouldn't matter to me if she was fat, I don't care if she isn't in perfect proportion to the rest of her body.

But every single inch of her body is perfect in my eyes. There's no way she could scare me off, even if she had 'disgusting' scars, even if she worried about how she looks every day of her life. Nothing could stop me thinking she's perfect, and nothing will ever stop me thinking how I'm flawed. But that's just human nature.

I'm sure it is down to the media and all those magazines. But to reassure some of those really self-concious girls out there- There are guys like us around who, no matter how much we talk about celebrities and models, really do look at the person inside, and nothing will change my mind about how I feel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    If a girl that a guy liked was to tell him that he was a ming chong he would be just as devastated as any girl.

Wanna show me where anyone said that guys didn't feel like that??

This thread's about girls, we're not saying that only girls feel like it though.
  • Options
    Sorry, it's just when you have loads of girls saying 'when one person says you're ugly...' and another load blaming it on guys you get the slight impression that the blame is being passed without any consideration to how the door swings both ways.

And... Ooooooeeerrr! No need to get touchy. ;p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    And... Ooooooeeerrr! No need to get touchy. ;p

Er...I didn't realise I was?! :confused:

Believe me, if I was to get touchy you'd know about it! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ladon J
    There's no way she could scare me off, even if she had 'disgusting' scars

Well I have 2 disgusting scars. One is just under my eye that I cover up with make up and the other is on my thigh. These were all due to accidents with animals and they make me feel sssssssooooooooooooooooooooooo self consious you would not believe. :(

Oh yea, and I have a scar on my head under my hair which if I was a boy and had short hair would cover most of the top of my head.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    shes black, dear ;)

She is MIXED RACE!

sorry but being mixed race myself I find it annoying when you get classed as either one or the other.

Like the others said, just one comment can make you feel bad. Even from complete strangers. Last year I was walking to the bus stop and some 14 year old boys were behind me saying I look mongolian (:eek2: how I don't know) and that I had fat legs. That made me feel great :rolleyes: Thing is I'm about size 12 more or less so Im not exactly huge and I still feel insecure. Probably because I'm not toned and my face doesn't do much for me so blah....surgery is the way too go :D

ps its not just blokes who's comments make girls insecure
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    She is MIXED RACE!

sorry but being mixed race myself I find it annoying when you get classed as either one or the other.

sorry, just thought she was black not mixed race, or coloured im not being racist by saying black am i?
  • Options
    She is MIXED RACE!

and problems arise because of your response. How is she supposed to know what you like or dont like, you could have politely said I prefer being called mixed race....not shout it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    and problems arise because of your response. How is she supposed to know what you like or dont like, you could have politely said I prefer being called mixed race....not shout it.

yeah i know, sorry! i take back the large shouting :blush:
  • Options
    sorry, just thought she was black not mixed race, or coloured im not being racist by saying black am i?

and no your not racist :) I just figured magazines etc always go on about her mum being from liverpool so I thought you'd know she's mixed
  • Options
    yeah i know, sorry! i take back the large shouting :blush:

Well in that case i let you off........this time :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Well in that case i let you off........this time :p

thank you...now I'll go say 20 hail marys and donate a fiver to charity :p
  • Options

blah....surgery is the way too go :D

noooooooooooooo
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    why does her mum coming from liverpool mean she's mixed race :confused:

haha. just what i was thinking.

they have more than just white people in liverpool, surely?
  • Options
    quite a lot of black people hate the term mixed race. Just because its your favourite term doesnt mean everyone should use it.
  • Options
    She is MIXED RACE!

i would just like to point out that some people who have one parent white and one parent black actually prefer being called 'black' as opposed to mixed race. saw it on a documentary :p

to the original question....

there are partsof me i dont particularly like but im confident with my body because i've learnt that guys don't see me the same way as i do. when we look at ourselves we concentrate on the little imperfections that either other people wouldn't notice or just wouldn't think is a big deal. its all about learning to love yourself really and that no-one is perfect. i'd prefer to show my body to guy confidently because i know thats far more attractive than having the lights off and attempting to hide myself.

i have to to agree that girls play a large role in all this and its true that those bitchy magazines like heat are written by girls. i think its natural to compare youself with other girls and what the ideal should be. but how do we get these ideals? we can blame page-3 models and blokes for liking them but it was VOGUE, a predominantly female-read magazine who actually made up the term 'cellulite'!! before then no one even gave a shit, it was just a natural thing that the vast majority of women get.
  • Options
    Not taking it personally, just using it as an example for the question that you asked.
    And I just think it was very rude of you to make comments like that. If a girl was worried she was fat and posted a picture would you reply telling her that she did indeed look too fat? I don't think you would.
    You're not exactly known as the queen of tact and diplomacy around here, you know!
    But a fair point about my comment being an example.

If someone asked for an honest opinion on a picture of themselves, I would give it. What would be better? Lying? :confused:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    shes black, dear ;)
    So? she still has skin to die for.

i used to hate my flubbiness but my boy/f absolutely adores my hips and boobs and legs and so forth, and can't seem to get enough sometimes :P and i'm not slim... im sorta pudgy in some areas but im a size 12/14 so i'm definitely not a big girl either.
    Anyway, i'm comfortable being naked with another human beng now which is a big step for me :D
  • Options
    You're not exactly known as the queen of tact and diplomacy around here, you know!

I never have and never will make a comment about what someone on here looks like though.

Anyway, end of.