Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need a car and i have no clue!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya. Wasnt usre what board to put this on but anyway .....
Im wating to buy my first car. But, being the type of dippy gal that I am I have no clue about all the different makes and styles etc. I want something not too expensive but cool. Any suggestions? Also, is there any cars that you can buy in either lilac, pink or baby blue - something pretty??? :flirt:
thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    saxo's r a good choice, thats what i am going to get for my first car, either that or an old corsa
  • Options
    I like Saxo's, gr8 on petrol and quite nippy too, what would you say was a better small car? in a reasonable price range?
  • Options
    go to www.parkers.co.uk you need the car reviews and it tells you all the pros and cons of any car.

Good luck :D

If I could drive id have a nice lickle Fiesta :D
    and NOT red !!!
  • Options
    Okay, we've got the colour sorted.

How much d'ya want to spend? First or second hand? What sort of a car - supermini, hatchback, etc...

Gi's a bit of help and maybe a suggestion might come up. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    Okay, we've got the colour sorted.

How much d'ya want to spend? First or second hand? What sort of a car - supermini, hatchback, etc...

Gi's a bit of help and maybe a suggestion might come up. :)

Ummm, well i want a new car. Not to bothered about the price (within reason!) and want a fairly small car to begin with - nothing grand or massive
  • Options
    Originally posted by In_ya_face
    Also, is there any cars that you can buy in either lilac, pink or baby blue - something pretty???

I got a 206 in silvery blue (moonstone)

You can get Honda Jazz's in baby pink and baby blue :yes:
  • Options
    Ummm, well i want a new car. Not to bothered about the price (within reason!) and want a fairly small car to begin with - nothing grand or massive

Again, totally useless information there.

What's "not bothered/within reason"? £5k or £15k? Need to get some guidelines sorted out, otherwise you may end up getting a car that's too expensive and doesn't suit you. Think about fuel - petrol or diesel? Diesel's almost defintely cheaper in the long run. Doors? Three or five door? Boot space? What sort of expectations do you have on warranty? Cost of running and reliability.

Am guessing you're looking at any of the following:

Peugot 106/206/306
    VW Lupo, Polo or Golf
    Smart car
    Fiat Punto
    Ford Fiesta or Focus
    Vauxhall Corsa or Astra
    Seat Leon
    Citroen C2

And that's just off the top of my head. There's probably another half dozen or so cars vying for your attention. Go some serious research into this.
  • Options
    A peugot 206 is what im learning to drive in and i think it's really easy to drive :) it's just a nice size too.
  • Options

Are you interested in advice for which car to buy or how to go about buying it?

I bought my car 3.5 years ago from a place that imports cars and at the time saved me about 25% off the brand new price from a dealer, however prices have come down a lot since.

Are you working? Are you paying upfront or monthly?

How old are you? Some Manurfacturers offer 1 or even 2 years free insurance, which if you're young could be worth over £1,000 to you.

The more you tell us - the more we can help answer your question.
  • Options
    i would also take into consideration how much it'll cost you to insure it.

i don't know how old you are, but if you're under 25, and especially under 21, your premiums will be through the roof if you have a valuable, powerful car.

i like peugeots, personally. the 106 and 206 are a nice size, and won't be too expensive to buy, insure or run. they also seem reliable, from the people i know with one.

it's all very well wanting a 'cool' car, but if it costs you £3000 a year to insure and breaks down every other week, you'll soon wish you had a shitheap like mine. :p

my 106 is 12 this year, and it still starts every time. :)
  • Options
    so is no1 else keen on saxo's?

mind u i guess 206's r quite good too, that was my third choice after corsa's
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    so is no1 else keen on saxo's?

mind u i guess 206's r quite good too, that was my third choice after corsa's

Corsa's are godawful. 206s are very nifty cars, and Saxos are not out of date and replaced by the C2s. Anyway, Saxos have a horrible stigma attached to them about boi racers and all that shit, defintely a car to avoid unless you like lookign like a prat.
  • Options
    Well, you haven't given us much to go on. What type of cars do you like (make, models, etc). And how much do you have to spend?
    If you buy an old banger (£500 or less) then you could have some fun and paint it any damn colour you like!!! And not care about it, or if you have a small prang, etc. You can get paints that you can put on with a brush (designed not to leave too many brush marks and runs), but you will have to research that.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    My step-dad just bought me/him a peugot 106 for £1,700. It's in very good condition (it's an N reg) and the insurance is cheap (even though I'm still a learner). We shopped around a bit, sometimes you have to.

Go looking around car dealerships; second hand ones, new ones..whatever. You're the only one that can decide what car you want. You could look on www.autotrader.co.uk where you can search for new/used cars. That might give you a few ideas.
  • Options
    My sister [19] got a perfect condition second hand punto SX for £2500, and insurance for £1000.

Puntos are good cars for new drivers, cheap and good on fuel,
  • Options
    Corsa's are godawful. 206s are very nifty cars, and Saxos are not out of date and replaced by the C2s. Anyway, Saxos have a horrible stigma attached to them about boi racers and all that shit, defintely a car to avoid unless you like lookign like a prat.

a cars a car, it gets you from A to B :rolleyes: i wouldnt care as long as i had a car

and for the record i have a VW golf
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

and for the record i have a

Ned-mobile :p

photo-262.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Ned-mobile :p

photo-262.jpg

ho ho!! get in brian you can go in the spar n get us some MD 20/20 ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    a cars a car, it gets you from A to B :rolleyes: i wouldnt care as long as i had a car

and for the record i have a VW golf

Well, yes and no. I car - its age, its looks, its colour, its brand, make and model all tell others about yourself, to some extent or another. I'm sure you would care if you had a Merc or BMW, something that showed off your financial success. Or the fact you don't care will almost certainly come across in the type of car you choose.

But more than that, a good car will run for a very long time, it'll be easy to take care of, cheap to run, and hold its value so that when you want to sell it on, it wont be to a scrap yard. So even if a car only gets you from A to B, you should always be careful about how long a car is going to do that for you.
  • Options
    get a peugeot 106/206. lush. i think saxo's are nice too.
  • Options
    Or the fact you don't care will almost certainly come across in the type of car you choose.... even if a car only gets you from A to B, you should always be careful about how long a car is going to do that for you.

:yes:

i couldn't care less what my car looks like. you can probably tell that by looking (it's dull grey, 12 years old, and needs more than a slight clean).

but the reasons i like my car are that it was cheap to buy, it's cheap to run, it's easy to fix when things go wrong (popular model = easily available parts) my insurance is pretty cheap, it's immobilised so that no fucker can steal it, it starts every time, etc, etc....

it's about more than just getting you from a to b. it's about lots of factors. but i don't think the way it looks is the most important of those factors.
  • Options
    i've got a clio, its small, not too expensive, i got mine brand new in october and it was about 9000, i got 3 years 0% interest so that saved on a bob or two :) and its a crackin' little car, i love it!

i like the peugeot 206 aswell mind you, that would have probably been my second choice!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sugar
    i've got a clio, its small, not too expensive, i got mine brand new in october and it was about 9000, i got 3 years 0% interest so that saved on a bob or two :) and its a crackin' little car, i love it!

i like the peugeot 206 aswell mind you, that would have probably been my second choice!

i've got one of them too :D
    very nice to drive and you can get them for about £7k brand new.
    They come in a nice kind of metallicy turquoise too.
  • Options
    Saxos have a horrible stigma attached to them about boi racers and all that shit, defintely a car to avoid unless you like lookign like a prat.

Boy racers?;)

Ive got a saxo, there ok, cheap on petrol ect but they look horrid apart from the VTS/VTR styles. Corsa's are nice n cheap, pug's are nice small cars. You want a 1 litre, 1.1 ect, its cheaper on insurance ect...
  • Options
    Bloody hell. Nottingham invades.

Big on cars in these parts, are we?
  • Options
    Heh, Forest fans.
  • Options
    I want a VW golf next, saxo is too small n slow, i want a bigger car! and ive about dun everythin 2 the saxo i can!:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Golfs are good.

Primarily because VW make a much better car than Citroen ever will.

I no, Citroen's are crap, ive had no end of trouble wiv me handbreak and radiator.
  • Options
    if you have a golf where i live or where my parents live, you might as well also get a sign made to put on it saying 'please steal me, use me as a getaway car in your robbery, and then torch me'

most stolen car in our area, apparently.

also, don't buy a car with a 1 litre engine. unless you like it struggling to do 40 up a hill.
  • Options
    1 litre are good for a 1st time car, cheap on insurance ect.

Balck VW Golf, kit it up, do some justifications, soon be sorted!;)