Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Greg Dyke has resigned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is rediculous!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No shit :(
    I think the bigger question is, is how much of the BBC going to be left?

You can bet that The Sun will make everything they can out of this because Murdock wants the licence fee scrapped.
    Murdoch would love all scrutiny of governments with whom he has close collusion scrapped. Welcome to the rise of right wing domination of all the public reads, sees and hears.

Time we started demanding the revocation of Murdoch's licenses and franchises!
    I'm not sure that he is the right person, although clearly as the man at the top he has done the honourable thing.

About time Gilligan followed this lead
    If only politicians could take note and follow suit...

Starting with the compulsive liar Anthony Blair MP.

Two words spring to mind. Whitewash. Flawed. It is very honourable indeed of the BBC to let go its chairman and director general, especially when there must be doubts about the enquiry's findings on every thinking person's mind.

That the government, the MoD and the Mother of All Liars Alastair Campbell have been cleared of any wrongdoing and are now using this as "proof" or their integrity would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic and plain wrong.

What a load of fucking bollocks this is!
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If only politicians could take note and follow suit...

Indeed, the Chairman of the Conservative Party should be a good start - unfounded allegations....
    Starting with the compulsive liar Anthony Blair MP.

Seriously, I wouldn't dispute that Mr Blair has much to answer for, but on this issue of the inquiry, I think that Hutton got it right, and you will recall that I said this right at the start.

Gilligan lied. Simple as.

You cannot apply hindsight to the inquiry - which is what Lord Hutton himself has said. If you want to apply that, then what you actually bring into question is our intelligence gathering, rather than whether Mr Blair knew he was lying...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Gilligan lied. Simple as.

Hmmm...from the report I'm been reading (All 320 pages) there's loads to suggest that Kelly did say what he said and Gilligan reported it as any interested journalist should, in the publics interest. Perhaps I've read the transcripts incorrectly but they are the same ones that Hutton read!

Is this the first step to a state controlled media?
    In complete opposition to what MoK wishes to believe, id say yes byny. The collusion between corporate controlled media/press/radio and our respective governments is only getting worse.
    I am willing to believe that the Gilligan report was somewhat suspect in its wording, mainly because he didnt write it down accurately enough during the interview.

And I am willing to accept that the BBC didnt appologise quick enough, or investigate as well they might.

But to say there was no strategy to name Dr. Kelly?! I mean come on!!
    Blair might have been found not guilty of lying when it comes to the issues covered by the Hutton Enquiry. But he has certainly been found to lie, mislead and to pervert information about the wider issue of the war on Iraq in many occasions.

What I find utterly disgusting is that Blair, and even worse that sorry excuse for a human being Campbell are now having a field day, demanding apologies and resignations from everybody and claiming to be whiter than white.

This is from the people who were caught deliberately distorting information and presenting invalid and irrelevant data as evidence of Saddam's WMDs. To the UN Security Council, no less!

If the whole issue of the war on Iraq: the WMDs, the perceived threat, the links to terrorism, etc etc were to weigh 1kg, the issues covered by the Hutton enquiry would weigh about 7grs. That Blair, Campbell and co have not been found guilty of lying about those 7grs of issue does not clear them of lying about the other 993grs. Which they pretty much have.

I am sickened to my stomach by this ridiculous witch-hunt that leaves the biggest liars and wrongdoers in the land unscratched and free to carry on as if nothing had happened.
    What is most laughably and transparently a pandering to government pressure and backroom conniving is Hutton's claim that there was no duplicity in the government's actions re; Dr. Kelly.

Please! A full and public judicial enquiry is what is needed, free of any interference from any level of government.

They lied to make war and theyve been lying to cover their previous lies ever since.
    Blair might have been found not guilty of lying when it comes to the issues covered by the Hutton Enquiry.

Which is all that the inquiry covered, which is al lthat was reported by Hutton.

You cannot therefore blame Hutton for not damning Blair

Can you?

@ byny. Suggest that you read a little more about why Hutton believes that Dr Kelly wasn't suggesting that the document was "sexed up" in the way which Gilligan reported... Hutton also explained the definition of the phrase...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

@ byny. Suggest that you read a little more about why Hutton believes that Dr Kelly wasn't suggesting that the document was "sexed up" in the way which Gilligan reported... Hutton also explained the definition of the phrase...

Will do just that - I'm just reading the transcripts of Dr kelly's interviews at the momnet.
    I can blame Hutton for failing to find any grounds for criticism for the government, the MoD or both.

This is something all of us know. Something that is absolutely as undeniable as life and death: the government and/or the MoD are not free of wrongdoing in the Kelly affair. That Hutton did not or could not find any points to failings within the enquiry rather than 100% innocence for the government and MoD.

Frankly I think the whole thing stinks.
    byny, that proves what I'm saying in the thread about independence being a sham.

Not that I would particularly trust indymedia.org- they are horrifically biased, far more than Murdoch in fact, and their politics are quite often very distasteful:
    As a law lord, Hutton led the rightwing attack on Lord Hoffman, on the excuse that Hoffman's links to the human rights group amnesty international invalidated Pinochets arrest! Lord Hutton said "public confidence in the integrity of the administration of justice would be shaken" if Lord Hoffman's ruling was not overturned.

Not that I wish to question their motives, but the decision on Pinochet was reached according to true legal principles and, unfortunately, result-led law is poor quality law.
    Wasn't it a decision for the Home Secretary though? After everything else failed Pinochet's team claimed he wasn't fit to stand trial- something to which the whole world rolled its eyes at, but was enough for our spineless Home Secretary to send the murdering scumbag home thus succumbing to the right wing lobby.

(Sorry for derailment).

Back to Hutton, whether it is through incompetence or something more sinister he has got it so wrong it is breathtaking. I've been watching the news on several channels and this sorry episode has provoked the biggest collective eyebrow raising ever seen. From viewers’ polls to political observers to media commentators, most people find it simply unbelievable that Hutton came down on the BBC in such manner but let the Government and MoD off the hook completely. Even the CNN political commentator as raving about it earlier.

Most people also seem to think that the resignations were not necessary. Dyke was the best chairman the BBC has had for a long time. He will be missed.

Not to mention the damage (and unjust at that) being done to the BBC. Needless to say there are a lot of interested parties in damaging the BBC for various reasons. There are very dark forces at work here.

This day shall be remembered in infamy in the political history of this country. We cannot laugh at the corruption and big-brother tactics of the US government any more. This country is going down the same route. :mad:
    Anita Roddick's started a petition for the real inquiry, though. Give generously...
    What Now for the BBC?

God there is some abosolute horsecrap on there
    Well, it's about time the BBC is seen for what it really is: an extremely bias, left wing, liberal propaganda machine. It is no surprise that the BBC got caught lying as it always warps the truth in order to force-feed its political agenda. I am happy those in the world that have been fooled by the BBC's bias reports will finally see the agency for what it is. Hats off to Tony Blair. He deserves the vindication!
    Rob North, Detroit, MI, USA
    It is about time the BBC is brought under control and their arrogance neutered. For far too long they have thought themselves above the "law" so to speak, and can act and do as they please. Hutton tells them they can't, and about time!
    Raymond Goldsmith, USA
    Did anyone just watch Question Time? I missed the first few minutes but I enjoyed what I saw.

It has been a tumultuous 36 hours but at least there is some positive outcome out of it:

- Other than the government and the S*n, the immense majority of the public as well as observers, commentators, politicians and just about everyone else appear to be on the agreement that it is supremely absurd that the government did not receive any criticism.

- The report was unbalanced at best, or more likely deeply flawed/biased.

- The BBC made a number of mistakes. However the BBC has apologised profusely for it, has indulged in some truly superb self-criticism and analysis over the last few days, and coupled with the resignations of the two heads, it can only be said that the BBC has acted with the utmost professionalism and dignity. This is what it makes the BBC the greatest broadcasting institution in the world.

- The resignation of Greg Dyke was unnecessary.

- The government on the other hand is being looked at as bullying and arrogant while demands for a judicial inquiry into why we went to war under false pretences grow lauder.

- To cap, this devastating blow to the BBC and vindication of the government appears to be turning and might yet to backfire spectacularly on the government.

Oh, how I enjoyed watching Margaret Beckett being savaged by the audience! :D
    Well...As someone who knows and who will be effected I can say that The BBC has lost an inspirational leader who will be missed and difficult to replace.

Just found this article from way back on 2000.....

From Times - 01/02/2000 (222 words) Paul McCann media editor
    GREG DYKE was grilled by Sue Lawley on his first day at work yesterday without getting to choose any records.
    The new Director-General of the BBC was addressing a staff meeting in London when the presenter of Desert Island Discs asked him what he would do if Alastair Campbell, the Prime Minister's press secretary, called him to complain about the Today programme. It was revealed last year that Mr Dyke had made a Pounds 50,000 donation to the Labour Party before the last election. He told staff that he would "thank Mr Campbell for the call and get on with my day".

Oh, how I enjoyed watching Margaret Beckett being savaged by the audience! :D
    "I will answer the question..." :lol:

'Moral Maze' listeners will have had a similarly pleasurable experience, as Melanie Phillips' arguments were derailed by a chilled out former drug dealer (and I thought another debate about cannabis would be boring).
    Whenever I've watched question time it seemed that the audience are hand picked in favour of the BBC's stance on whatever is being debated. Not that I don't disagree with a lot of what is said, but I never believe that it's necessarily that they're representing the general public's opinion.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Whenever I've watched question time it seemed that the audience are hand picked in favour of the BBC's stance on whatever is being debated. Not that I don't disagree with a lot of what is said, but I never believe that it's necessarily that they're representing the general public's opinion.

I disagree, I've always thought that they did quite well... It's not easy to pick a true cross section and there are times when the opinion of the majority fits in with the overall BBC approach to a story...
    I liked the fact that virtually all the negative comments on the BBC's site about the whole thing were from people outside the UK, mainly the US.

Also, the Moral Maze was good wasnt it, I liked the bloke from the Brain and Mind centre, "Yes I have altered my mind with cannabis, and quite a lot of other things too, I dont see why not"

Radio Four is just so fantastic.