Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dance Music

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
To those who like dance music...

A) Which kind do you like?
B) When did you get into it?
C) What's the main thing that made you get into it?
D) Any artists/albums/radio stations you recommend?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    A) Mainly Hardcore, bits of Drum and Bass and Old Skool.

B) When I was about 14-15. Thats AGES ago, back in 1947 I believe.

C) It was Jungle, I just liked it, the bass lines etc.

D) The Bonkers series of albums seems to be going from strength to strength.
  • Options
    a. U.S House/Garage, Breakbeat, at the moment.

b. Got into House around 86-87

c. It was new and different, also I was fascinated by the effect it had on some people (ie Bristols football hoolies).

d. Plump DJs, Playgroup, Basement Jaxx, Stanton Warriors
  • Options
    Can someone please classify Basement Jaxx, Massive Attack and the Chemical Brothers.
  • Options
    Re: Dance Music

A) deep house, Detroit techno, tech-house, breaks, jungle, drum'n'bass, electro, hip hop, reggae, dancehall, ragga/yardcore.

B) 1990

C) ecstasy

D) Underground Resistance, Red Planet, Octave One, Juan Atkins, Carl Craig, Richie Hawtin/Plastikman, Inland Knights, DiY, Deep Dish, Layo & Bushwacka, Congo Natty, Plump DJ's, Jerome Hill, Deadlock, The Bug, DJ Scud to name a few artists/DJ's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Can someone please classify Basement Jaxx, Massive Attack and the Chemical Brothers.

Difficult. Chemical Brothers are on the commercial end, loosely classified as Big Beat. Basement Jaxx are very house/garage influenced, but impossible to classify.
    Massive Attack are in a league of their own. Their first album, "Blue Lines" is a total classic. A unique mixture of roots reggae, dub, hip hop, soul and funk.
  • Options
    i used to be really into some dance music but not as much now

I really into house / funky house music, dont realy have any particular favourite artists or anythin, fav kinda mainstream acts would be groove armada, chemical bros etc... but im quite open minded about music.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Difficult. Chemical Brothers are on the commercial end, loosely classified as Big Beat. Basement Jaxx are very house/garage influenced, but impossible to classify.
    Massive Attack are in a league of their own. Their first album, "Blue Lines" is a total classic. A unique mixture of roots reggae, dub, hip hop, soul and funk.

So you couldn't recommend anything that is similar to them then? That's the only dance music I like really, as well as Morcheeba, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow and Groove Armada. I'm trying to expand my dance music-related horizons.

Also Air and Daft Punk.
  • Options
    Have a listen to

St Germain - Tourist
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Leftfield - Rhythm and Stealth
    Layo & Bushwacka - Nightworks
    Slam - Headstates
    Slam - Alien Radio
    Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall
  • Options
    A) main stream poppy stuff, but im partial to a bit of bonkers

B) 1999

C) erm i liked it

D) radio 1 on weekend nights
  • Options
    Also Air and Daft Punk.
    The guy behind Daft Punk does lots of good stuff - Thomas Bangalter..look out for him
  • Options
    A) Which kind do you like?
    Prog/Vocal/Tech House, Psy Trance/Goa, DnB, Prog Trance, Freeform, Old Skool, Electro-Trance, Acid Jazz, Trip-Hop, Ambient/Ambient Space, Sound Scapes, Liquid Funk, Tech-Step, Jungle, Ragga Jungle, IDM, Nu Skool DnB, Breaks.. loads.

B) When did you get into it?
    About 10/11 years ago. Started with Jungle, House and when't form there.

C) What's the main thing that made you get into it? Used to love the basslines of the early Jungle stuff

D) Any artists/albums/radio stations you recommend? Global Underground (any), This Is Acid Jazz: After Hours Vol 4, Vibe FM, Renegade FM, Kruder & Dormeister, Kid Koala, Kid Loco, Danny Saber, LTJ Bukem, Brooklyn Funk Essentials, Marden Hill, Omni Trio, Andy C.

Edit to say: Anyone looking for fresh new music should try www.besonic.com - I put my music on there a long time ago and there are some very, very talented artists. Most are unsigned but their music is good enuff to have in the shops.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Dance Music

A) Hardcore whether it be freeform, breakbeat hardcore, Gabber and dutch hardcore techno. Also love my Jungle, D&B and Hard Trance.

B) '94-'95

C) What's the main thing that made you get into it?

One of my mates older brothers introduced me to soem of the forest raves and parties that were happening local to us - and then I started doing ecstasy.

D) CLSM, Sharkey & Energy, Scott Brown, Sy, Neophyte, Paul Elstak.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So you couldn't recommend anything that is similar to them then? That's the only dance music I like really, as well as Morcheeba, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow and Groove Armada. I'm trying to expand my dance music-related horizons.

Also Air and Daft Punk.

Journeys By DJs - Coldcut.

Doc, track down this album, quite simply the best mix CD you will ever by, came out around 96-97 but was re-released.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Journeys By DJs - Coldcut.

Word :)
  • Options
    What is it? In what style?
  • Options
    Its a mix of hip hop, electro, breaks etc but mixed fantastically with lots of film samples and some of Jello Biafra's spoken word stuff. An work of genius.
  • Options
    As the Blagsta says also some Techno and DnB, it redefined the mix CD, track it down.

try offitsface.com for free mix downloads of different types of music
  • Options
    Cool, I'll check your ideas out :)