Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Gas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I seem to get gas really easily these days. Whatever I eat or drink, I always seem to have a lot of gas. It all builds up,I feel like I'm full of mucus (sp), and I get a tightness in my chest. However, a few big burps and it goes away. However, I can't force the burps, and things like Gaviscon just don't help. Is it the way I eat? I don't eat that quickly. I have it now, and I have being slowly supping a mug of hot chocolate. Do you know anything that could help?

I just did a big burp just now, and it went, but I could do with some tips for the future.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if it's not normal for you, i'd see a doctor, just to make sure it's nothing dodgy.

if he gives you the all clear, maybe try something like alka seltzer - that'll help you burp.

you can buy things for wind relief, but i'm not sure if they're for upstairs wind or downstairs wind. ;)

that's where a chat to a pharmacist would be useful.
    I asked my dad, and he says its just indigestion or something. You can't get indigestion from driniking hot chocolate, I'm sure.

I will find out alka seltzer. I couldn't care less which end the gas comes out, as long as it isn't stuck in my throat. :mad:

Thank you kaffrin. :)
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I asked my dad, and he says its just indigestion or something. You can't get indigestion from driniking hot chocolate, I'm sure.

i don't think it's indigestion.

i know the feeling you're describing - i get it a lot when i eat. mine is from a combination of swallowing too much air while i'm eating (an anxiety thing), and IBS.

i'd still see a doctor. sudden changes in your digestive system like that are something to check out. even if they say there's nothing wrong, they'll be able to tell you what's causing it, and how you can get rid.
    Just had another talk with my dad ( no point in seeing my GP. His son- one of my best friends- is on holiday, and his cover isn't very helpful) and he thinks it could be fatty food. He misunderstood what I was experiencing, and says it is because I had a great big pile of chips earlier. Mmm, healthy. I will drink a couple of glasses of water and a couple of paracetemol. And try and avoid fatty foods.