Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The sham of "independent" inquiries

For all those who are amazed that the Hutton Report has let the darling Fuhrer completely off the hook, I point out one thing: there is no such thing as an independent inquiry.

How can there be? I'm sure Hutton had no particular political or moral leanings, but the question always is: who appointed the members of the inquiry? If it was Bliar then the appointees will only be those who he thinks will back him, and if it was appointed by an "independent" or cross-party committee, then who appointed the committee?

There is no such thing as independence because it always, no matter how indirectly, always goes back to the Government. And the Government aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot- look how shabbily Elizabeth Filkin was treated.

As I've said before, I wouldn't wipe my arse with the findings of any "independent" inquiry.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Like someone has said earlier this particular enquiry only serves the purpose of diverting attention from the real issue: the legality and necessity (or rather, the lack of it) of going to war.

Everyone here knows my thoughts about the war. Accuse me of bias if you will, but I have GREAT trouble believing the government is not at fault here. What is crystal clear is that the government has misled the country repeatedly and LIED to all of us with regard to Saddam's WMDs and the perceived threat Iraq posed. To be frank I couldn't care less who inserted the 45 minute claim or in which circumstances. The government, starting with the Right Hon. Anthony Blair MP, have lied through their bloody teeth to us.

And I’m sorry, but any enquiry that clears Campbell of wrongdoing looks hopelessly flawed to me.

Very cheeky (to put it mildly) of Bliar to accuse others of lying now and to demand an apology. We're all still waiting apologies from him concerning the WMDs, the need for the war, the 52 British soldiers dead and the tens of thousands of Iraqis killed in our name.

God do I hate the man! :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Like someone has said earlier this particular enquiry only serves the purpose of diverting attention from the real issue: the legality and necessity (or rather, the lack of it) of going to war.

I think that was me actually:p

God do I hate the man! :mad:

Join the club. And then when I start ranting about the bastard, people think I'm being stressy *sigh*
  • Options
    I've just printed it out - it's over 300 pages long so it'll take a bit of reading but I'm going to try. I noticed a bit about the MOD and how they should have warned Dr Kelly his name was going to be made public but didn't.

Why do people have to resign over this though!!
  • Options
    hogwash whitewash bullshit smokescreen.
    the great unwashed would like to hear about the reasons for going to war. the reasons why a labour government blindly or with eyes wide open, went along so willingly with such a right wing american admin. the lies and bullshit we were all arguing against here before the invasion took place have stood to be true. our truth has stood. criminals are running the country ...war criminals.
  • Options
    Hutton is an exteremely experienced judge, you do not become a law lord without being impartial, and I trust his findings.
  • Options
    That is utter nonsense. By that reasoning you must think all US Supreme Court Justices are impartial when in fact the political favours that put them into lifelong positions of power are routinely called upon by administrations that share such judges political bent. Impartiality doesn't exist in the judiciary any more than it exists in the legislative or executive branches, in any Western nation.
  • Options
    But this is not the US supreme court, it is the British justice syetem, which is very different.
  • Options
    Do impress us all then with your comprehensive knowledge of the British Judicial System and precisely how it is so vastly different from its US counterpart!

Something more concrete and substantive than your own opinion would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Hutton is an exteremely experienced judge, you do not become a law lord without being impartial, and I trust his findings.

No, but there are plenty of other experienced law lords who WEREN'T chosen. I don't begrudge Hutton anything, but the reasons why he was chosen and not, say, Browne-Wilkinson LJ, should always be taken into account when dealing with these reports.

Though Matadore, the operson who appoints judges is the Lord Chancellor. Who is appointed by the Prime Minister and is a member of the Cabinet. Erm.
  • Options
    As the time of the Hutton verdict approached, people kept popping up with warnings that the scope of his findings would be very limited, and how right they were. Can't help thinking that Blair the lawyer was perfectly aware of that when he dismissed questions about WMDs, before the reports disclosure, with 'wait and see'. Now we need an investigation that does look into why our government failed, for example, to correct the papers who printed headlines about WMDs being deployable in 45 minutes, when they knew that claim didn't refer to WMDS at all. Otherwise, they'll get away with murder.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    That is utter nonsense. By that reasoning you must think all US Supreme Court Justices are impartial when in fact the political favours that put them into lifelong positions of power are routinely called upon by administrations that share such judges political bent. Impartiality doesn't exist in the judiciary any more than it exists in the legislative or executive branches, in any Western nation.

Wait a minute Clandestine ... I have lurked (mainly) on this forum for ages and enjoy the running battles you and Aladdin et al have with The Matadore. I always support you! Except here.

With respect, Lord Hutton is an extremely distinguished judge. He is impartial ... to suggest otherwise is as serious as the charge Andrew Gilligan made regarding the 45 minute claim. Political favours in return for appointing Law Lords a la the US Supreme Court are completely unheard of in the UK - we truly have an independent judiciary, appointed by the legal profession (only really ratified by the Lord Chancellor, I think, Kermit) - just think of all the defeats for Michael Howard as Home Secretary, or the criticism from Law Lords regarding Guantanamo Bay.

Hutton was appointed 1) because he is retired, so he needn't fear that his report, whichever way it came down, might affect his future career and 2) because he was the Northern Irish Law Lord and spent his career well away from the legal and political career of Tony Blair etc.

We might not like the conclusions he has drawn. We might disagree with them (which is why he has written such a long report - so we can make up our own minds. Let's clamour long and loud for a full, independent inquiry into the whole war - why we went, what we were and weren't told, and why it is all going so wrong! But let's not impugn the character of a man who has worked long and hard to digest mountains of evidence with the eyes of the whole world on him and the careers of many in his hands. And let's not become so cynical that we are unable to trust any inquiry - judge each one on its merits!

Oops - long post!
  • Options
    Its just all too horrible, I feel in a deep fug from the whole affair.

The BBC was at fault, that is for certain and yes perhaps heads should roll, but I have a terrible feeling the government is going to use this to change the BBC.

It was so one sided.
  • Options
    I wonder if everyone who is slating the report saying 'it's not independent' would be saying that if the report had come out the way that they wished and pointed the finger at the Government rather that the BBC?
  • Options
    I would have been dissapointed if it was the other way too, I was expecting the BBC to come off worst because, well its their fault that the whole thing got started. But I wasnt expecting the government to be cleared completely.
  • Options
    One can argue slant and bias all one wishes, however the fundamental principle of accountability is what is at stake here and in choosing to condemn the BBC for undertaking its responisibility by exposing the lies and exaggerations which led to illegal war of aggression is certainly in my view a classic example of misdirection and obfuscation by Blair and co.

If you condemn the one source which has legitimately opened the window of scrutiny on illicit government intent, what precedent do you set except to encourage increased lack of scrutiny and thus increased capacity for duplicity and coverups in the future.

The BBC was right and the public should be supporting it unreservably.
  • Options
    One can argue slant and bias all one wishes, however the fundamental principle of accountability is what is at stake

Who was, is he accountable to then?
    The BBC was right and the public should be supporting it unreservably.

On what basis do you say this?

At the time that Gilligan made his "sexed up" comment there was no suggestion that the Govt has deliberated misrepresent the intelligence information which they had. That was a fundamental ruling that Lord Hutton made.

Now, I'm not going to dispute that hindsight makes a mockery of the 45-minute claim, but even Dr Kelly didn't dispute it at the time.

This inquiry was never about the move for war, it was about what had led a man to take him own life. The report was the main reason for that.

That Gilligan is still reporting for the BBC when he has put them into the position they find themselves is shameful.
  • Options
    I disagree completely with your condemnation both of the BBC and of Gilligan.

The government DID make the claim of a 45 minute preparedness and thus that Iraq was an imminent threat, knowing full well that their "evidence" was thoroughly contrived/plagiarised from uncredible or out of date sources. Gilligan merely did the job which investigative journalists should in exposing the truth of the government's lies and spin.

To blame the BBC for Kelly's suicide when Kelly freely gave his testimony on the matter is to willfully allow yourself to be diverted to yet another govenrment scapegoat rather than levelling the blame where it truly belongs (regardless of Hutton's whitewash) and that is squarely on #10.

On the matter of accountability i refer to the accountability of the government, that's who. And you shouldn't have to be told to whom the government is accountable.

As for the "at the time" comment, that is merely a convenient sidestepping of the fact that the government HAD spun the intelligence to promote its intent to support the illegal and aggressive actions of the Bush admin. Insofar as Gilligan opened the public's eyes to this fact and awoke the otherwise slumbering civic duty of the masses when precious few were undertaking such scrutiny is to be applauded, not condemned.

Otherwise perhaps youd rather simply believe what any given administration chooses to let you know according to their own PR. I fear to think how much greater the duplicity would become then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I would have been dissapointed if it was the other way too, I was expecting the BBC to come off worst because, well its their fault that the whole thing got started. But I wasnt expecting the government to be cleared completely.

How? How can it be their fault the whole thing got started? The BBC is there in part to provide a news service and it would have been wrong of them to ignore their source and fail to expose the claims made about the Dossier by an internal source.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    At the time that Gilligan made his "sexed up" comment there was no suggestion that the Govt has deliberated misrepresent the intelligence information which they had. That was a fundamental ruling that Lord Hutton made.

Gilligan didn't make the comment - Dr Kelly did. Gilligan just reported it.
  • Options
    I disagree completely with your condemnation both of the BBC and of Gilligan.

The government DID make the claim of a 45 minute preparedness and thus that Iraq was an imminent threat, knowing full well that their "evidence" was thoroughly contrived/plagiarised from uncredible or out of date sources.

So you missed the findings of the report then.

You know the part where Hutton pointed out that at the time that the 45-minute claim was included, the Govt and intelligence agencies were satisfied that it was credible.

They didn't make it up, nor did they have anything at that time which contradicted it.

Dr Kelly did not say that the dossier had been "sexed up", other than to suggest that the most damning available evidence was included - provided that the intelligance agencies supported the evidence. If they didn't - then it didn't go in.
    Gilligan merely did the job which investigative journalists should in exposing the truth of the government's lies and spin.

Gilligan made a report which he himself now admits was incorrect and unfounded.
    To blame the BBC for Kelly's suicide when Kelly freely gave his testimony on the matter is to willfully allow yourself to be diverted to yet another govenrment scapegoat rather than levelling the blame where it truly belongs (regardless of Hutton's whitewash) and that is squarely on #10.

Is it only a whitewash because it doesn't fit with the way you wanted it to go?

Kelly gave a testimony to Gilligan, but this isn't the same as was reported. That is why I blame Gilligan.
    On the matter of accountability i refer to the accountability of the government, that's who. And you shouldn't have to be told to whom the government is accountable.

Hutton is and was not accountable to the Govt.
    As for the "at the time" comment, that is merely a convenient sidestepping of the fact that the government HAD spun the intelligence to promote its intent to support the illegal and aggressive actions of the Bush admin.

No it isn't.

I am happy to apply hindsight to the whole affair. But Dr Kelly's suicide has little or nothing to do with that. The pressure he came under was a direct result of Gilligan's fabrication.
    Insofar as Gilligan opened the public's eyes to this fact and awoke the otherwise slumbering civic duty of the masses when precious few were undertaking such scrutiny is to be applauded, not condemned.

He claim that the document was deliberately changed, it wasn't - such is the findings of a judge and his reasons are set out in the document.

What you are talking about there is a separate issue - one I cover elswhere (The Dyke resigns thread).

The fuller inquiry would have to look at all of the intelligence which was available at the time, to see if Blair deliberately misled the country, or if he was acting on the information which was available at that time.

Remember, Parliament voted to go to war, based on the information they were given. You cannoot claim that Blair had difference information without supporting that...
  • Options
    Byny; I think the story was a valid one, but Gilligan fucked it up by not taking proper notes, and then not making a proper story out of them.

He could have made a totaly valid story out of the information he got from Kelly and it could have been just as interesting. He fucked it up and because of that the government has got off the hook and the BBC gets in the shite.

Thats why I thought the BBC would come out worse, but not this bad.
  • Options
    As I recall from intelliegence services testimony at the time this scandal broke, they themselves declared that the 45 minute claim was never a part of their assessment.

It was added by Blair and or his cohorts (however they seek to divert blame or cover their own arses) to politicise the imminence of the threat and justify the invasion. So Gilligan was right in exposing the sham.
  • Options
    As I recall from intelliegence services testimony at the time this scandal broke, they themselves declared that the 45 minute claim was never a part of their assessment.

It was added by Blair and or his cohorts (however they seek to divert blame or cover their own arses) to politicise the imminence of the threat and justify the invasion. So Gilligan was right in exposing the sham.

It was included by the JIC, based on intelligence recieved from a "reliable" source. What Hutton says is that the standing instruction to the JIC was that nothing should be included which was not evidence based. This instruction can be found in Ali Cambells e-mails to this team.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    This instruction can be found in Ali Cambells e-mails to this team.

And, of course, Alistair Campbell only communicates via e-mails which happen to have been stored.

Gilligan was wrong, but to blame him for everything is basically flogging a scapegoat. Something which Blair is particularly adept at.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Gilligan was wrong, but to blame him for everything is basically flogging a scapegoat. Something which Blair is particularly adept at.

Not blaming him for everything.

Much like the rest of you, I have concerns about some of the findings, and I don't think that the Govt should be exonerated to the extent that they have, but I don't think that the BBC should have come out unscathed.

With regards Gilligan himself over 47% of people (in a guardian poll) said that he should have resigned - 37% said Blair should, and 35% said Dyke should.

What you have here is a man who reported something incorrectly. He admits this. His Chairman and CEO have both resigned over the issue - and yet he is still there. Where they show integrity and honour, he continues to show none.

Yes, I think that there needs to be a wider inquiry, but I'm not convinced that people really want "the Truth" but want a reason to remove Blair. Any inquiry which doesn't damn him would automatically be seen as a whitewash.

For me we would have to be shown that Blair knew that WMD weren't an issue when the vote took place. That he had the information which showed that he was lying. Anything less is a reflection of the people who report to him...
  • Options
    How interesting it is MoK that you and many others will accept the arguments for war without demanding proof that the "intelligence" claimed is indeed accurate, but when the lies are systematically exposed, you still demand proof that the PM knew there were no WMDs.

Why are war advocates so ready to accept the mere word of our leaders (claiming they MUST know more than we little folk) yet demand proof of their duplicity and lies.

Perhaps if we refused to approve of militant action before absolute and irrefutable proof were provided to back their claim of the need for war, we wouldnt return again and again to this Vietnam scenario of war for corporate profit based on spin and contrivance.

It's not going to be their life on the line nor that of their children, so its time we stopped assuming they have a case until one is fully made, scrutinised, debated, and shown to be true.
  • Options
    I thought the reason that Gilligan hasnt resigned was because he wasnt a permenant member of staff and the BBC said a while ago now that they wouldnt be employing him again. Maybe I'm wrong on this.
  • Options
    How interesting it is MoK that you and many others will accept the arguments for war without demanding proof that the "intelligence" claimed is indeed accurate, but when the lies are systematically exposed, you still demand proof that the PM knew there were no WMDs.

Actually, if you remember correctly, WMD made no difference to my support for the war.

But the Govt used them as justification. Now, we all know that none have been found so this suggests one of three things:

1. They have been moved/hidden
    2. Our Govt knew they weren't there, but lied to us
    3. Our Govt were misled through poor inteliigence gathering.

Only number 2 should lead to the resignation of a PM - unless you can show that his personal intervention created number 3.

I was willing to accept that there is intelligence which I will never be allowed to see. That is part of their role, to have it any other way - i.e. that any Tom, Dick, Harry has access to the most sensitive of information, from the most sensitive of sources would undermine the whole process of intelligence gathering.

I am also willing to accept that something intelligence will be used as a cover. That is the price we pay for this service. If we can show that this has been done then a scandal would, rightfully, ensue.
    Why are war advocates so ready to accept the mere word of our leaders (claiming they MUST know more than we little folk) yet demand proof of their duplicity and lies.

Again, unless you have access to as much information as they do, then you cannot show that they are lying. We put these people in a position of Trust to interpret the information on our behalf. We therefore need proof that this Trust has been betrayed.
    Perhaps if we refused to approve of militant action before absolute and irrefutable proof were provided to back their claim of the need for war, we wouldnt return again and again to this Vietnam scenario of war for corporate profit based on spin and contrivance.

There is nothing so black and white. You will never get absolute proof in such a way.

Just as in a court of law we have to apply the "beyond reasonable doubt" rule.
  • Options
    Beyond reasonable doubt wasnt even proven in this case though. Those opposed argued rightly from the start the very presumptive nature of the whole affair which it has consistently held to and been fully vindicated.

As for trust, well trust is no excuse for lack of public scrutiny and mechanisms whereby that scrutiny may be made at any time. Ive lived through sufficient numbers of adminstrations each of which has lied and used "national security" as a smokescreen for pursuing greater power and the further enrichment of their coproate money men.

Time for trust is over, time for unconditional accountability (as any employee (and public employees they are whatever delusions of rulership they wish to live in) must give when demanded by his/her employer) to become the status quo.

Otherwise you can watch this betrayal of the public repeated ad inifinitum. The future legitimacy of participatory democracy depends on removing these mechanisms and ensuring transparency.
  • Options
    How would you deal with the "sources" aspect then?

Surely the protection of people who provide us with intelligence (thus commit treason in their own countries) should be paramount?