Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

coldsore

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do u get them? and how do you get rid of them. ive got one in the corner of my mouth and its soooo sore :(

Comments

• Options
    Cold sores are a version of the herpes virus, and just flame up from time to time. They are technically incurable- you will be suseptible to them for the rest of your life- but they aren't dangerous.

Each inflammation goes quicker using treatment, Blistex is the one I would recommend. You can get it at any chemist.
  • Options
    does it mean i have caught herpes from someone?
  • Options
    i worked in a pharmacist...Zovirax coldsore treatment was the most popular for getting rid of them, and there was stuff in a green box (called Coldsor i think) was used to treat at the earlier stages to prevent them opening out full. Aftershave is also a handy remedy if ya cant get to a pharmacy.
  • Options
    Zovirax is good, its really expencive and comes in a very small white tube.

However I have found that you can prevent them from occuring at all by using Blistex lip balm. However you have to use the stuff in the small metal tube that looks like glue. Handily this is also the best stuff on the market for chapped lips.
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    does it mean i have caught herpes from someone?
    something to that effect i think...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karma Killer
    something to that effect i think...

....must have been harry
  • Options
    It will re-occur forever probably so be careful you don't kiss anyone when you have one because they will be inflicted too
  • Options
    in my experience, zovirax only works if you put it on while the sore's still in it's tingly stage, and hasn't erupted yet. if i put it on after the sore's come up, it only stops them spreading.

i've found they go away quicker if you keep them as moisturised as possible. use a medicated lip cream like blistex, or just vaseline, and make sure you wash your hands before and after touching your lips to stop them spreading.

so if you put zovirax on every 4 hours, rub it in til it disappears, and then keep them moist the rest of the time, it should be gone soon.

and i feel your pain. i've been getting coldsores since i was 2. sometimes i get them all around my mouth and i can't even eat properly, or drink without a straw. they tend to pop us when your immune system's depleted, so be ready with the zovirax if you're ill, or you're a bit down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    in my experience, zovirax only works if you put it on while the sore's still in it's tingly stage, and hasn't erupted yet. if i put it on after the sore's come up, it only stops them spreading.

i've found they go away quicker if you keep them as moisturised as possible. use a medicated lip cream like blistex, or just vaseline, and make sure you wash your hands before and after touching your lips to stop them spreading.

so if you put zovirax on every 4 hours, rub it in til it disappears, and then keep them moist the rest of the time, it should be gone soon.

and i feel your pain. i've been getting coldsores since i was 2. sometimes i get them all around my mouth and i can't even eat properly, or drink without a straw. they tend to pop us when your immune system's depleted, so be ready with the zovirax if you're ill, or you're a bit down.

its tinglings, but the skin is broken now. ive been puttin vaseline on it to keep it moist, doesnt hurt so much then. but i cant open my mouth wide enough to really eat very well :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    but i cant open my mouth wide enough to really eat very well :(

eat things that can be cut into tiny pieces. you look daft, but it's a whole lot less painful.

also invest in some straws.

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    eat things that can be cut into tiny pieces. you look daft, but it's a whole lot less painful.

also invest in some straws.

:yes:

thank you...when i can get to a chemist i'll go get the things suggested
  • Options
    Prevention

Yeah dude, sounds like you've been infected with herpes. It could've been laying dormant in your body or you could've caught it off somebody you snogged (or went down on) but there is a chance that it will reoccur.

Herpes is a virus* which hides in the nerve tract that was first infected, which is why it's a fucker to irradicate from your body.

From time to time it goes through a replication stage, coming through the nerve tract (hence the tingling) to the surface, where it attacks skin cells, in an attempt to infect another organism and therefore propagate.

Avoid this happening if you can!!

*Virus = Either DNA or RNA coated in a protein shell which allows the viral particle to bind to a host cell and inject it's RNA into the host cell, either to kill the host cell or to 'trick' the host cell into producing more viral particles.
    See this web site for more info on viruses :
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_basic_virology.html

The first atttack is normally the worst and future attacks can be prevented by using Zovirax or another product called Lomaherpan which stop the cells being infected by the virus when it is travelling to the surface to propagate. If you apply the medicine topically when you feel a 'tingling' sensation it will go to work and more often than not stop the outbreak.

As said before in this string Zovirax isn't too good once the outbreak has started because the skin cells are already infected and effectively destroyed. Zovirax is a prevention rather than a cure. Best to keep the skin moisturised to avoid further damage. This will aid the skin in repairing itself. Best to buy an Aloe Vera cactus and use the juice that you get from the leaves.

Soap kills the virus on the surface so wash your face before applying any zovirax and wash your hands afterwards as well to avoiding spreading the virus to other parts of your body.+

And hey, don't feel alone 'cos about 22% of the UK population have got it too... Apparently it's pretty fashionable.

The only good news is that the longer you have Herpes the more the body will build up an immunity to it, so the attacks will become less and less.

Other stuff you can take to minimise the chances of getting an outbreak are:

Echinacea (boosts immune system apparently)
    Lysine (an amino acid)
    Zinc (helps prevent viral replication)

Docteur Lorenzo has spoken
  • Options
    you usually get them if someone infected has kissed you when you were a baby and had a weak immune system, you can only get them now through kissing someone who had them at the time or through oral sex by someone who had them at the time (euch) and this is the little thing we call genital warts!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    you usually get them if someone infected has kissed you when you were a baby and had a weak immune system, you can only get them now through kissing someone who had them at the time or through oral sex by someone who had them at the time (euch) and this is the little thing we call genital warts!!

well harry did have any....and i didnt go down on him.....