Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Critical Thinking: What the hell is it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Could someone explain please?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm not really to sure, but I think it means working your way through a problem and using constructive critisism etc.

Bopz

P.S. Google search maybe?
  • Options
    I gave up my 4th AS before i took it, but I did Critical Thinking in my A2 year. I'd got a points offer, and it was a good way to get cheap points, because it was only two lessons a week.

As it was, I failed to get into my 1st choice on BBC, and got into my insurance (Liverpool) on 300pts. I only got 110 points, 50 of them for my B in critical thinking, so i'm indebted to that subject!

If you have a similar scenario, its worth doing. But its hardly rivetting stuff (though the whodunnit essay can be quite 'fun')
  • Options
    I studyed that last year.

Bit monotonus. But, it can be a good subject to have to help you with your other subjects. It teaches you to form well constructed arguments, find flaws in others. It focuses really on the construction of arguments. What orders/rules you need for an argument to be successfull. I studyed it alongside sociology and Philosophy and it did help with philosophy, because it teaches about inductive leaps and so forth.

It doesnt teach you interesting facts, doesnt keep you gripped but it can give you a bit of ahead start when it comes to writing arguments. Its more of a skills subkect than a knowledge subject if that makes sense.

Taken from my college website..

'Critical thinking is about reflecting the way we think and reason. It teaches you to recognise different sorts of arguments and develops your ability to analyse reasoning.. By doing this you learn to evaluate the strenths and weeknesses of arguments, how to identify the assumptions made, and how to criticise faulty reasoning most effectively. Finally it gives you the tools to improve your own reasoning skills and helps you to present and justify your beliefs and ideas in a clear and coherent way. For this reason CT is an excellent compliment to toehr areas of study.....'