Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

strange phobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not even sure what to call it, it's like claustrophobia but not. Well I have a fear of not being able to be 'free'.That makes me sound crazy :p but like if I was handcuffed, I'd have a panic attacked. If I had to wear a costume (think like a horse one) I'd have a panic attack. If someone covered my mouth, I'd have a panic attack. I have a fear of not being able to 'escape' from a situation :confused: and I don't want it to get so bad that I can't go into elevators etc because of the fear.

Comments

• Options
    it's not that strange. i have the same thing, but with me it's tied into my emetophobia.

try to think about what you think will happen if you get trapped. if you think 'i don't want to be trapped because **** will happen', it's **** that you're scared of. if you think 'i don't want to be trapped because it scares me and i don't know why' it's the actual being trapped that you're scared of. am i making sense?

you can help yourself get over it, or you can go to a doctor.

what will happen if you go to a doctor, is they will refer you to a psycho-therapist for CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). basically all they do for a simple phobia, is gradually expose you
    to the thing that scares you.

when you're in a situation that makes you panic, your anxiety comes on very quickly. but if you stay in that situation, and nothing happens to you, your anxiety will gradually dissipate. so what they do with exposure therapy is put you in a situation that causes you slight anxiety, leave you there until you're not anxious at all, and then gradually increase the anxiety potential of the situation until you can do anything without fear. that's the idea.

and you could easily do that yourself, and save yourself a long wait on the NHS.
  • Options
    i have a terrible fear of veins and blood, ill faint if i see blood (and i wanted to be a nurse) and if i can see someones veins like in their arms or hands oll get all dizzy, if they flex them ill feel sick or faint. i cant stand anyone touching my wrists or neck and i think thats got something to do with that!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

emetophobia.

I've got that. How did you or do you try and get over it? I went to the doctors one and she was rather unhelpful, just said, oh well, sooner or later you'll have to be sick!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    I've got that. How did you or do you try and get over it? I went to the doctors one and she was rather unhelpful, just said, oh well, sooner or later you'll have to be sick!

:rolleyes:

I've got it too. At least I think I've got at least some degree of it. I haven't been to the doctors about it cos its not really ruling my life or anything at the moment. I had food poisoning last week though and I was in tears for most of the week it was horrible.

Sorry Hybrid I've not got any more advice but Kaffrins advice is very good :yes:
  • Options
    And me, and me, i've got emetephobia too :D They did an article about me somewhere on thesite too... Hmmm.

Anyways. Yes, look into what's making you feel like that. Also, check out thesite's special on phobias, that might give you some helpful advice. Good luck :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa

the first time i mentioned it to a doctor, he was just all 'oh, well no one likes throwing up'. :rolleyes:

but then a couple of months after i met mr. kaff, we both got one of those awful throwy-up bugs from his little cousin, and even though i wasn't actually sick, i spent the next week and a half in a total state of panic in case i was, and refused to eat or drink anything but really diluted squash. so after a week and a half you can imagine the state i was in. so i got dragged the the doctors, and even though he didn't understand my reasoning, he was quite shocked by the state i'd got myself into, and made a deal with me. he'd prescribe me anti-sickness drugs if i started eating and went to therapy.

so i did.

not for long though. the way my mind works i actually found it made me a bit worse, cause the therapist suggested things to me that i hadn't considered, and actually began obsessing about new things.

although there's a girl on my course who's emetophobic, and she's been having some kind of alternative therapy, and she says it's really made a difference... so there is hope.
  • Options
    Phobias

hope this helps :)
  • Options
    thanks everyone :) at least I know I'm not a complete freak!