Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

first days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what was everyones first day at uni like? wat sorta thing did you do?

i start monday and i dont really know wat to expect
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Move in, unpack, listen to a couple of speeches, talk to absolutely everyone you see and then get drunk
    Oooh I have such fond memoires of my first day at uni!

We drove down to Liverpool and unpacked, then I got rid of my parents before knocking on the door of my neighbour. We chatted, and then gradually more people came out of their rooms and we got to know each other.

We then plucked up the courage to go to the big gathering downstairs and felt like total numpties standing there not knowing a soul. Then it was dinner, and we discovered the rankness of halls food.

After that, our warden gave us a talk that lasted over two hours. All on fire safety and being courteous to staff. It was so tedious. When that finished, we went down into the halls bar and had a few pints, before going into town and spending the rest of the night in Arena.

Aah... i just love that first-day feeling!
    im not moving in though....
    Are you staying at home or moving to uni?

I stayed at home, so my first day was different to Turtle's and Rocks'.

I got there feeling really nervous and worried I wasn't going to get to know anyone, especially as I don't live too close. When I got there I had a look around, and everyone seemed to know someone, although you could tell they had only just met. So I was really looking forward to getting to know someone, just anyone on my course. I had to go and get some packs from various buildings, and then register with my course. I met a girl while registering, but we didn't really say much, and I was hoping we'd go to the next place together, but she walked off before I'd finished! That was that for the first day and I went home feeling very lonely.

The second day we had to register with the uni, and I felt even more nervous, as I thought everyone was bound to know someone by the second day. I then had to go to a talk, which was crap, and once again I went home feeling lonely.

The third day though, I got to meet the rest of the people on my course, and met up with the girl I met on the first day. So at last I got to know some people. Our course had also arranged to have a little drinks party, so we could get to know each other even better.

Ever since that day it's been fine, and quickly you get to know a lot of the people on the course. I think it probably is harder if you still live at home, because it does feel like you don't know anyone at all for the first few days. I don't feel my course did the whole first few days particularly well, as I think we should have all met on the first day, so we got to know people quicker. It would have made the first few days more worry-free.

Don't worry it's not that bad, not at all as bad as I thought it was going to be. Hopefully you'll be able to meet the rest of the people on your course on the first or second day, as it'll make it easier. Just remember everyone else is in the same boat, not knowing anyone, so just start talking to anyone and everyone.

Good Luck and have fun!
    Originally posted by blonde__batman
    im not moving in though....

shows how long it took me to write that!
    anyone else?