Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Role of The State

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How many people do you know who don't have enough to live for next week?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

I dont personally. But there are many many on housing estates and other general deprived areas who are.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I dont personally. But there are many many on housing estates and other general deprived areas who are.

We've had this discussion before. But from what I undeerstood a lot of the money who goes to such families is wasted on unnecessary crap.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

Myself and my sister were brought up on a grotty council estate by working class parents, yet she sister is very bright and went to a private secondary school (4th best in the country) because of a grant (do they still do these for schools?) and went onto university with a loan.
    So you can achieve something if you really want it.
    Oh and university isn't everything, I didn't go and the only miss the thought of years of free from responsiblity, pot noodles and casual encounters :) not the degree!
    We've had this discussion before. But from what I undeerstood a lot of the money who goes to such families is wasted on unnecessary crap.
    That's what the right wing press would have us believe.

The truth is that there are many poor families out there who don't 'waste' the little money they have in any way, and who can't afford to give their children higher education. It's as simple as that.

Had your grandparents been Cornish miners, chances are your father would have had to go down the mine himself at the age of fourteen. Not much chance of going to university for him...

Quite a few of my work clients.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    That's what the right wing press would have us believe.

Which is among others Girl With Sharp Teeth and Kermit.... Interesting observation.

Blagsta, as far as I understood all of your clients are (ex-)adicted. Being that I just got home (don't really know why I am online) I will leave that for another time, as they're under very different circumstances than so many other low-income social groups.
    You asked a question - I answered it.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You asked a question - I answered it.

As it wasn't stated you didn't have any means to know so, but my question to Renzo was regarding people our age, who're in college.
    Well I'm at college and I have mere pennies to live on over the next week, I haven't had a beer in weeks or an Indian takeaway. In fact I have had to agree to whore myself with some modelling and dj-ing next week just to survive :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I went back to uni as a mature student 4 1/2 years ago. I had a bit of help from my parents, if I hadn't there is no way I could have afforded to do it.
    As it wasn't stated you didn't have any means to know so, but my question to Renzo was regarding people our age, who're in college.

Again these people could have money problems. But anyway the role of the state isnt just weather people go to uni:p How did we get into this? Did i do this? Meh.
    Thats almost my situation but I start my degree in September and my Access course doesn't qualify for loans and grants.